Iggy Pop - The Bowie Years (Box set due May)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimjim, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Muggles

Muggles Forum Resident

I’m not biting unless the price comes way down.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Why in the funk did they put the Rainbow show as the bonus disc on The Idiot?! I've heard tons of Stooges bootlegs that sound this poor but c'mon. The Cleveland show would've made a much better second disc.

RAZORMADE, johnnyyen and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I pre-ordered this box set on day one. I sampled a few tracks on Lust for Life. Yowza. What is the deal with this mastering?

Any recommendations for best sounding digital versions of The Idiot and Lust for Life?

5. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes , The Idiot sounded a lot better then Lust For Life.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

so, does remastered Idiot sound good and not Lust For Life?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I thought the remastered Idiot was the best I heard of it but as you know , it is what it is. I had recently listened to a original vinyl Lust For Life and then the cd in the box a few weeks later. It was noticeably more harsh.

Matthew Tate and Justin Brooks like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I decided not to get the box after reading reviews here. I did purchase the 2fer you linked to on Amazon and I think it sounds good. Just my 2 cents.

9. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

I grabbed the 2017 Lust For Life LP when it came out. Mastered by Ian Sefchick, it is one of the most lifeless pressings taken from a digital source I have heard in the past 5 years. I will never listen to it again, and can't recommend it.
    Admittedly not super familiar with this album and all the different pressings, I listened to Lust For Life from the Bowie Years Box on Amazon Music and considered it revelatory compared to the grey, veiled murk of the 2017 LP. I have only listened on headphones so far, but may grab this, as I heard stuff in the mix from this Bowie Box mastering I never had before. Unless someone that has actually listened to this (not just looked at DR numbers) can confirm the 1990 CDs are just as detailed and punchy? The 90s CDs are not available on Discogs in the States, and it would run me £20-£30 to get 'em both shipped to me from Europe. Just need something to hold me over til I'm ready to plunk down for original vinyl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

11. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

Does the live material have Bowie playing keyboards?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Any live tracks from March and April 1977 will have Bowie on keyboards, backing vocals and copious gitane cigarettes...

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

In that case some folks open up their fully stickered stereo suitcase system, load the limited edition pink vinyl Cleveland disc, light up some reefer to stick into an unshaven head, while simultaneously admiring their good old Herb Alpert disc.
    :biglaugh:

Fabrice Outside and scenescof like this.
  14. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Reading folks’ opinions on this set, this doesn’t sound good at all. To be fair, only the deluxe editions of The Idiot and Lust For Life would appeal to me anyway, as opposed to the whole box - but I like my 1990 Virgin copies fine.

The live stuff would be cool, but it’s not enough to tempt me.

scobb and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

A shrunken price might tempt me..

Timos and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

moving on and turn blue

17. Glad I held off. My original CDs sound just fine....

jhm and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

I'm thinking I might have to finally settle and order the virgin cds for both albums...Ive been waiting to see if something better, more agreed upon would ever get released. Right now I only have the Million In Prizes compilation which leaves much to be desired

Matthew Tate and scenescof like this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I still think this 2fer sounds great (I mean, it's not an audiophile recording to begin with) and is dirt cheap:

https://www.discogs.com/Iggy-Pop-Lust-For-Life-The-Idiot/release/3443839

Fabrice Outside and Jake362 like this.
  20. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Shvartze Shabbos and jhm like this.
  21. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I couldn't find any of Iggy's A&M albums on Qobuz, but BBB was on Tidal.

Anyway, Qobuz is offering both L4L and Idiot for streaming at 24/192, and they offer a 30-day free trial if you provide a payment method up front.

22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Streamed "Blah Blah Blah" today, and a lot of it has aged really surprisingly well (Not you, "It can't Fall". Stand down.) I like "Fire Girl" now.

Really should be a part of one's complete "Loving the Alien" home box.

pobbard, scenescof, Tom Wabe and 2 others like this.
  23. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Is there a definitive 77 live show on CD feat. Bowie?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Probably the March 21, 1977 show at the Agora Ballroom in Cleveland, OH. It's been repackaged countless times (including The Bowie Years box), all with the same generally acceptable sound quality (I believe it was originally an FM broadcast - but circulating copies all seem to lack a bit on the low end).

It's not a scintillating show, but it's good, and very easy to find on CD or LP.

From the same tour, I really like the live-in-the-studio set they did at Mantra Studios a week later. This has also been repackaged countless times, but unfortunately from a pretty awful source (including the version on The Bowie Years). A better version circulates but hasn't (to my knowledge) shown up officially or semi-officially yet.

25. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Thank you. I may opt for [​IMG]