Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Limiting it to 1970 copies won't help....

Nosferatuz likes this.
  2. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Original album remastered and cut at 45rpm (it sounds AMAZING) - 2LP with etching on 4th side
    12 LPs of full album sessions (first time on LP in full)
    Live at Ungano's 1970 LP (previously RSD exclusive OOP since 2015) with new cover
    All LPs are 180 gram
    Plus, 7" repros, posters, 28 page book (huge essay by Henry Rollins, testimonials from fans/friends/family, lots of photos), slipmat, 45 adapter, etc.

Is this insane? Yes.
    This will be a one time only pressing of 1,970 copies. Believe me.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

$400?!?
    It makes me GLAD I don't collect vinyl anymore!

I have the original CD box set, got it when it came out originally, it's the greatest box set ever made.
    That's an insane price for this.
    and the liners by Ben Edmonds are not in it?!?
    Who cares what Henry Rollins has to say, he put down the original lyrics of some songs in an interview before;
    Ben Edmonds' liners were fantastic.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Thank you. Amen. what a ripoff.

This is just another example of what record companies think they can get away with these days with anniversary releases.
    Rhino's just in it for money like all the others of course, and it's disgusting what they charge.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Not sure the comparison is apt. The Locked and Loaded box was way more expensive and they printed 10,000 of those? Looks like they've already sold 800+ of the 1970 copies of this from what I can tell.

6. Jimmy B.

The earlier versions (some) of 1970 had a much better line in the chorus. It was unfortunate Iggy changed it.
    And you can hear some of the other lyrics much clearer in early takes. As Iggy went on with some songs the lyrics got slurred, some got changed.
    The album IS a masterpiece, the greatest album of all time, but the complete sessions is a must-hear, at least for anybody who really, really loves the album.

bagstiv, redsock, NaturalD and 4 others like this.
  7. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Almost all of this sounds good (and I ordered right away) but the one thing I could do without is printed "testimonials" from various yahoos. One (1) fan's (Rollins') essay and commentary and perspective on the album is fine (and expected), but having to see various blurbs pockmarked through the pages extolling the virtues of this record from Billy Corgan, Melissa Auf der Maur, Paul Krugman, John Legend, Jack White, Billy Joe Green Day and whoever else may be in there is going to be irritating. The album (and its sessions) stands on its own as its own piece of art and verbal slobberings from contemporary cats is just unnecessary aesthetic vandalism and pandering.

Nosferatuz, OE3, Tom Wabe and 2 others like this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Maybe. Unless they are sourcing the sessions from the CD masterings/transfers, which would not surprise me.

bagstiv and Jet Age Eric like this.
  9. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

If it's true that they've already moved 800 copies in pre-orders on this first day of its announcement then it seems like this one won't be available to order for very long.

Nosferatuz and OE3 like this.
  10. Dreaddazzman

Yep, just checking by trying to add to the cart. If they put up the whole 1970 (not sure if they did), it's down to under 1150 available right now.

aphexj likes this.
  11. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

There is a price for limited editions. How often does this album turn 50? I remember how outrageous the seven-CD set of the sessions seemed when it came out; the concept, not the price. It gave me a glimmer of hope that someone like Dylan would do such a thing dome day. And, what do you know, Dylan In the 2010’s made it happen with his 1965 to 1966 studio material, as well as his 1966 tour. The Stooges handmade box was a trailblazer in that regard in the Rock field, and it’s good to see that at least it is now going to be made available on vinyl. Can’t complain about its availability on vinyl now. Our pretty world is going to hell!

12. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow Thread Starter

first line of the first post in this thread: first LP edition of the 1999 7-CD RHINO handmade boxed set

Nosferatuz and AZRunner like this.
  13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Yowsa. I'm genuinely quite surprised by that. There must be a fair few Stooges fans with money burning a hole in their wallet. (I thought the GNR set was less than 10,000 but I thought wrong).

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

You know, in all honesty I adore they release it all on vinyl.
    On the other hand, well somehow, with every note released it creates another dilemma: Nothing to wish for. Somehow the ‘mystery’ dissappears when everything is available...
    Maybe it’s just me. Great album anyhow.

mr.datsun likes this.
  15. Dreaddazzman

I hear ya. $400 is a lot, but in the grand scheme of things it's not the worst value out there at 15 LPs, plus everything else. There are plenty of deluxe sets that give you way less for the same/slightly less.

The GNR box was insane from the get-go in terms of cost vs what you got. I ended up getting a L&L box under $300.

Nosferatuz and aphexj like this.
  16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

In the end, I never listen to that Fun House 7CD box. I must have played it once all the way through. I even built a CDR with all the takes used on the 1 x LP that Rhino once made to create an alt. take version of the whole album. And then in the end, I still only play the official original LP and the 1980s CD of the album. I figure the 7CD set, magnificent as it might have been in its sheer qty of music and promise, might now be a bit of a superfluous object, when compared to the conciseness and focus of the original album.

Well put.

17. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

Oh yes, the GNR box was insane. I picked up the 4CD/BR edition for around £60 which was a lot nearer where it needed to be for me. I didn't see much point in buying a box set with repro 7"s when you can get the original 7"s dirt cheap, or if you were me and bought them when they dropped out of the charts in 1989, 49p each in the bins. (!)

18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

D.B. and Electric Sydney like this.
  19. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

As a Brazilian, lyrics are always kind of slurred for me anyway. I won't even notice some of the differences, unfortunately, but I'll try it again.

20. LC4O

LC4O Forum Resident

One question do you know Why The Doors Live in Detroit it is not reissued by Rhino ?

Soundslave likes this.
  21. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Very tempted...but how often will I actually play this?

uzn007 and mr.datsun like this.
  22. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

That hits me right in the wallet.

bagstiv and D.B. like this.
  23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

maybe they will do something with this new 2020 remaster as a single LP or CD?

That GNR box was a ridiculously large 10,000 edition priced at an equally ridiculous $999. I don't think they'd press under 2,000 of the Stooges set at £350 and not be able to sell them. The low edition number will surely keep the prices up.

aphexj likes this.
  24. theebrianrector42

theebrianrector42 Forum Resident

I am ALL IN, Jason. I don't care what it costs. It's one of the TOP 10 LP's of all time. I would spend the same bread on the same treatment done to any of my fave LP's. Take my money. I'll pass the set on to my kids and they can give it to theirs and so on. Records are my life. What the hell else am I gonna spend my money on??? Money well spent. I don't care. Take my money.

Nosferatuz, D.B., OE3 and 5 others like this.
  25. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I have the original Rhino "Handmade" CD set and I have to say this set is total overkill with the vinyl...No one is going to want to listen to a thousand takes of the same song one after the other just because it's on vinyl.

Rhino should have just packaged that limited best of the sessions vinyl they did recently with the original and the 45s and provided all the other takes as a download and slashed the price by about 50%

Buddybud, MikeT, Mumdad and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.