Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

aaaannnnddd that's why this set is 400 bucks.

no dig at you btw. I just look at comparable box sets (how about the recent Hendrix groovy children: 8 lps for under 100 bucks) and think this one is a bit of a stretch. but, hey...rarity!

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Fun House is a desert-island disc for me. I have an early vinyl pressing, and the 7CD box set, and Ungano’s, and that’s enough. No way is this worth $400 to me, with exactly no new music on it, but I hope those who buy it enjoy it.

Nosferatuz and AZRunner like this.
  3. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

I totally agree.
    In the end it's not even meanted to be listened to. It's just a collector's item and an investment for flippers.

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

All the way through? If you are lucky maybe..... once?

:hide:

5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Disagree. I will gladly listen to all one million takes of each of this album's seven songs (on vinyl..., and I also already have the original Rhino Handmade CD set.)

Nosferatuz, OE3, aphexj and 2 others like this.
  6. Hannah

Hannah Only love can conquer

Funhouse is the greatest rock and roll record ever made, and I treasure the Funhouse Sessions CDs. I'm just not sure why anyone who had the CDs would buy it on vinyl.

Maybe for the 75th anniversary, someone will release it on 8-Tracks. Then for the 100th, Edison cylinders.

Anniversary releases are usually nothing but cash-grabs anyway. Though I have to say that I really enjoy the Bob Marley and The Wailers Exodus and Kaya anniversary releases, with the remixes by Ziggy (Exodus) and Stephen (Kaya). They did a great job.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  7. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Way back, I ordered the Wild Man Fischer set from Rhino Handmade, but CD2 didn't play at all. So, I returned it and got a refund. Back then, postage to USA from UK (and vice versa) was not cheap, but not as big as it was now.

Anyway, three months later, a iggy fun house sessions set arrives at my house. I have to persuade my wife that I did not shell out $120 for this, she says OK cautiously. So, I play it a couple times (really!), as I had a car commute that was up to an hour and a half in one direction.

Then two months later another one arrives. It took less convincing, as my wife didn't believe I'd buy another one. So I sold the spare on ebay, by now it had sold out at rhino so I got a good price for it.

Anyway, it wasn't an LP I knew well, so I felt right in the room as they developed it into the final product via multiple live takes to get 'the one'. I enjoyed that journey, and did it a few times, as I say.

Eventually, I compiled a "Best of" onto a minidisc, a double album effectively, burned a copy of the full set, made cdr copies of the first two discs (was gonna do them all but decided I didn't need them), and that's the end of this sentence. Oh yeah, was gonna say I sold the set on ebay again.

I could replace the gap with an unnumbered version, last time I looked the prices looked reasonable. This lp version looks like a folly, in both the medieval castle type building definition, and also the 'A bit daft' definition.

Still, if one arrives at my door, unrequested...

D.B., trumpet sounds and Chris M like this.
  8. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Some of us enjoy the ritual of handling and the considered focus of listening to music on the long playing vinyl record format. In addition, some of us enjoy the substantial concrete physicality of interacting with the LP records in our archives.

9. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I have the cd version and though it’s a great record I’m not so sure it’s a great fifteen+. I love my records but I have a feeling that by the time of changing the eleventh record to the twelfth I’m pretty sure I might question the purchase I made.

Nosferatuz, punkmusick and dlemaudit like this.
  10. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

oh please. They wanted to be rich rock stars in 1968 but weren't good enough.

11. JoeRockhead

How is this overpriced? 15 LPs times $20 is $300, plus there are 7-inches and other stuff.

dtotheatothevtot and aphexj like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

Iggy's in it for the money too.

How much should this cost then?

13. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

The Stooges of 1968 would have found a $300 15Lp box set of unissued demos laughable.

14. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I guess there wasn't enough money in re-pressing the 7CD set.

Things like this are exactly what CDs are good for - compendiums and compilations with a lot of music and a long playing time and easy to make yr own compilation of the best stuff. The notion of this on vinyl is ridiculous.

I hope this doesn't delay or impede the 1977 box set that was being mooted for May.

dlemaudit likes this.
  15. Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Junior. :uhhuh:

16. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Any word on sources for the 45 rpm discs?

17. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Hi Jason,
    Can you tell me, the 45 rpm discs, was this an all-analog job? AAA?
    If you can tell me this was AAA, this is going on pre-order today.

18. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

99% of bands in 1968 would find a $300 box set of their own demos “laughable”.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Ordered and fortunately I was already signed up to Rhino so easy to do. Looks a great release and yes not cheap and I have the cd box. Still nice to see stuff still happening in the physical world until we all fade into the internet for good.

Nosferatuz and aphexj like this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yep it is like the Woodstock box (limited to 1969) a fun idea but of course a completely arbitrary number. As I stated on that thread what would they do if the album had been release in 7 A.D.

Vaughan likes this.
  21. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Ronnie Pudding, Ross MacLochness, Little Danny Schindler...

Electric Sydney and stepeanut like this.
  22. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I own the original CD box and Live at Ungano’s. I’m good.

23. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I have the complete sessions on iTunes and Live at Ungano's RSD LP (pure righteous fury!!) but that 2x12" 45RPM is tempting... too bad there aren't plans to press it separately

AZRunner likes this.
  24. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I wish the complete sessions box had included the takes used on the LP sans overdubs.

Anyone else up for a Complete Raw Power Sessions set?

Nosferatuz, bagstiv, TeddyB and 2 others like this.
  25. Hannah

Hannah Only love can conquer

$400.

And not to be pedantic, but they aren't demos, they're studio takes.

That's the only weak point of the Funhouse Sessions box, isn't it. I wanted to hear the original takes of the tracks used on the album too.

Yes, I understand the ritual bit. But I'm not sure that format has anything to do with "focus" while listening. Unless you're focusing on trying to ignore the underlying vinyl noise.

Format disagreements aside, anything that gets someone to listen to Funhouse again is a good thing. Records are all about music after all, right? That the music on Funhouse ("L.A. Blues" notwithstanding) remains alive and vital after 50 years is a testament to how powerful it was when it was created.

R.I.P. Ron and Scott! The heart and soul of The Stooges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.