Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

We can only hope so.

2. Hugh Brightside

Hugh Brightside Forum Resident

Many thanks to the user who posted the Zia Records link! For a variety of reasons, I had to put off preordering this. Once everything was finally in the clear and I was able to plunk down the cash, the set sold out on Rhino that day, so I literally just missed it. None of my locals were getting it in and I was having no luck with links to other indie shops. However, I jumped on the Zia link the moment I saw it, and I just received a pre-shipping notice from them. So thanks again, you made my week! Can't wait to join the rest of you in the glorious deep dive of Fun House.

Electric Sydney and jasonx12 like this.
  3. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

I just realized the debut came out 51 years ago TODAY. Whoo!

aphexj likes this.
  4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

What's everybody's favourite take of "Loose"? Mine is 25, feels they're holding back somewhat, but then Ron's solo breaks through and the whole thing shifts into a new gear and it's SO EXCITING that they blow the chord change and go back to the chorus early, and it breaks down almost immediately. Love hearing that!

Nosferatuz likes this.
  5. I do more or less the same thing with CD digipacks and slipcases.

6. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Just ordered from Zia. I took the bait for the 45 rpm. Call me a sucker but...

7. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

I just finished listening to it. You ain't no sucker, it's fantastic.

8. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

I’m gonna get emotional.

In January 2000 I was in a bookstore skimming through Rolling Stone when I saw in the review section a little blurb by David Fricke about the Fun House Complete Sessions box. I literally ran home two miles (I was 26, yay) through the snow, went straight to my housemate’s computer and bought it. When it finally showed up I went to my room and played the entire thing in one sitting, and very quickly realized it was the finest thing I owned. Now it’s the second finest.

This monolith is too damn wonderful. My absolute favorite album memorialized in the absolute best way. It seems impossible that something like this can exist. I admit I was a little skeptical about the 45 RPM sounding as good as has been hyped, but it’s GREAT. The drums really snap out at you, your left speaker transforms into Ron’s amp. My favorite bit of recorded music ever is “Down On The Street” when after Ron’s solo is over Scott does a fill and starts hitting the ride cymbal, taking you into Stoogeland. It sounds the best I’ve ever heard it here. Listening to the sessions split up into sides like this is the total way to go. The book is a pleasant surprise. The 25 pages are packed. Rollins’ essay and the interview with Don Gallucci in particular are rousing and informative. I was kinda taken aback by Danny Fields’ story about Goddard College, me being from Vermont and all. Crazy. I’m so damn happy to own this thing.

No warps, no pops, no splits, everything is beautiful…except the singles. One has a bunch of schmutz on “1970” that I can’t get off and the other’s label got printed about half an inch off center. It actually looks pretty funny. I don’t know if these are worth reporting to Rhino about, tho.

Basically, Jason Jones is a damn hero for getting this made, and made so well. Thanks, man. You effing rule.

9. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow Thread Starter

Henry unboxes

ArpMoog and PaulJay like this.
  10. haroldm

haroldm Forum Resident

Hi, I received my box Tuesday at noon and lost electricity about an hour later due to storm in NYC so haven’t been able to listen yet, still without power. My box arrived in decent shape with one slightly dented corner but no other cosmetic damage. I just inspected the contents and one record (#7) has a large dimple in the vinyl that would make the last track unplayable. I contacted Rhino customer service and inquired about a replacement for just that record. I received the same automated response previously described.
    For Jason_Rhino: I tried to send you a personal message to ask for your assistance but for some reason I was not able to, kept getting a message that I did not have permission. Thanks.
    Really looking forward to listening to this awesome set!

Jason_Rhino likes this.
  11. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

Looks like Rhino screwed Main Street Vinyl on their order, so they're only receiving one copy when they ordered 15. It looks like they chose to sell them directly through their website for $399 instead of honoring all the indie store orders that were placed to be sold for $349. If you ordered from Main St, they should be sending out emails today.
    If anyone sees this for sale anywhere, please post it here.

12. john316

john316 Forum Resident

That's a bummer.

13. bob338

bob338 Forum Resident

Yep. I just ordered it from a store in Switzerland for $516.

14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

this is what I was afraid of. still haven't heard a word about my rough trade order, but i'm expecting it will not be honored.

15. Deep Cuts

Deep Cuts Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me with my Main Street order. Really bad practice if the ones they put back up on their website after they initially sold out were allocated to these Indie stores. As buyers we’ll be fine but many of these stores need whatever they can get to stay in business.

Looks like a guy is flipping a bunch on eBay for 560 if anyone wants to cough up the extra dough for a copy. Better than the 1200 dollar copies on discogs.

16. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

That really sucks. Sorry.

17. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Some clarification: the stock that was made available briefly on Rhino website post-initial sellout was from cancelled Rhino.com orders (only a handful (maybe 4 or 5 total) were made available again and instantly sold out).

C6H12O6, Deep Cuts, john316 and 2 others like this.
  18. Deep Cuts

Deep Cuts Well-Known Member

Thanks for the clarification and good to hear because the shop wasn’t sure why it happened. Always been happy with Rhino and it’s my fault for sleeping on it so it’s all good. I actually ponied up for one of the eBay ones, so it cost a little more, but I didn’t want to miss out.

Jason_Rhino likes this.
  19. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Opened mine with surgical precision, new Xacto blade to cut three sides of the shrink along the box opening, tucking the opening flap inside. Can’t even tell it’s open unless you look closely.

I SURE WISH I HAD A STICKER.

Maybe I can get one custom made on gold foil from an eBay seller just to keep inside.. and extra large reproduction even... hmmm...

Also want to say thanks Rhino for doing these kinds of boxes instead of flip-top styles boxes that will eventually wear out and start separating. Nice job!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  20. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

Nice. What number did you get?

I realized that my copy is missing one of the posters, so I contacted Rhino. Shucks.

groovelocked likes this.
  21. NoTrend

NoTrend Well-Known Member

Finally after waiting till my work week was over

0055/1970 !

22. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

#1022 here

Nosferatuz likes this.
  23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I don't get the limited 1970 gimmick.
    Makes no sense.
    So what's the deal here ?
    No more boxes ?
    That's just sick that I can't support the local and pick one up cash in hand.
    Not paying a scalper.
    Serious grief for a life long fan from the hometown.

24. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

Looking at it you can see why they wouldn't wanna make more than a couple thousand of them. And it was available on the Rhino site for four whole months. I hope you get one somehow.

25. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Unfortunately I bet Rhino still has a hard time knowing how popular a huge purchase like this will be.

Better to do a run and sell out than be stuck with leftovers of a $400 item that also diminishes the value of the people who bought it early

It does suck that the grifting flippers get involved in something like this though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.