Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

amateur hour here with rhino. they could have moved the release date up a couple months to RSD and slapped another 200 bucks on the price. #FAIL

2. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

This observation/statement deserves a mic drop!
    :--)

SunSon, uzn007 and Kevin j like this.
  3. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

So, if I'm guessing correctly, each take had Iggy isolated in a booth, audible to the Stooges via headphones while they play, and then they would decide the best music take and then Iggy would re-record his vocal on the vocal channel, erasing his original?

4. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

They're too busy pressing up the Nth reissue of the Devo albums (I say this as a Devo fan) :whistle:...

dtotheatothevtot and uzn007 like this.
  5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Or keep the original vocal track. This was a time (a long, long, time ago in a galaxy far, far away) when bands recorded basic tracks live in the studio.

;--)

Nosferatuz and TheLoveDrags like this.
  6. Hannah

Hannah Only love can conquer

From what I've gathered, Funhouse was recorded live, with Iggy actually singing through a PA system that was set up in the studio.

I'm not sure anyone had done that before (most studio engineers would probably throw themselves off a cliff if you suggested it), but you can certainly hear the "live" effect on the record.

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

“The band set up just as they would have onstage and did not utilize baffles to separate the sounds. Lead singer Iggy Pop sang into a handheld microphone (possibly an Electro-Voice model, sans pop screen) and was right there amid the unbaffled amps and drums, moving about wildly during the recording, much as he did onstage. Instead of using headphones, P.A. speakers provided the vocal foldback, Gallucci notes."

Rocking in the Studio With The Stooges: Inside "The Complete Fun House Sessions"

8. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Did anyone in the band remember Lost In The Future?

rnranimal likes this.
  9. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The New York Times had a nice review (by Brn Sisario) of the box in 2000. This was among my favorite parts:

One of the few surprises is the vocal prowess of Iggy Pop, who is usually portrayed throughout this period as drug-addled, too wild to be contained by anyone, including himself. But during the sessions his voice is the strongest instrument, a constant vehicle of rage and lust. He sounds like a hyperstimulated Jim Morrison who has given up on poetry, expressing himself instead through grunts, howls and stock sexual come-ons. He is pure sonic testosterone, and while his band might miss a note now and then, Iggy's vocal parts are uniformly excellent.’

Nosferatuz, redsock, D.B. and 7 others like this.
  10. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

All analog. I watched it being cut in person from the original tapes at Grundman by Bernie.

11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

This. If I'm doing deep listening, then CD is the only way to go for me. Of course, digital files may also suffice. It's the only way I know to take the medium out of the equation.

Hannah likes this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

the idea that you think you know that the Stooges didn't want to make money is laughable.

Toddarino likes this.
  13. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

what did you expect them to say? don't give up, they might sell it separately after this thing sells out.

14. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

It would certainly be a case of throwing money away if they don’t sell more of that 45rpm mastering once the big set is gone. Probably at least a year after, when some RSD product is needed. I love the CD set and have given it many hours’ listening over the years, but this bunch of repeat takes isn’t something I’ll spring for on premium-priced vinyl, so I hope we get that 45rpm Fun House some day.

Big Blue and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I never said The Stooges didn't want to make money.

Clearly this thread is only suitable for people who think that no matter what overpriced lavish rejects the estate of The Stooges peddle, it must be accepted unquestionably as a work of genius.

rnranimal likes this.
  16. john316

john316 Forum Resident

Ordered it. I had an original pressing of The Funhouse Sessions as well as a first pressing of Funhouse but were both lost in a fire. There are only a handful of groups that I would purchase anything of this size (and price) and The Stooges are one of them. It will make for a good summer. I have a feeling that this will go fast but I had that feeling about the 13th Floor Elevators vinyl set (from about 10 years ago) and it took Roky dying to finally sell all them so what do I know.

17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Shipping this to Brazil would cost me a total of $483.97. If I'm lucky I won't have to pay the usual Brazilian 60% import taxes but who knows. Also, coronavirus rised the exchange rate about 10% in the last few weeks. This box will be very expensive to me.

Edit: wait... Did I say "will", not "would"? :D

18. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Brilliant, thanks very much.
    Will be pre-ordering this over Rhino UK.
    What a set!

While we're at it, I have the Rhino reissues of the Stooges debut album and Fun House from 2010. As I remember, it's been a while, they both sound great. These were also all-analog releases, right?

punkmusick likes this.

19. Looking forward to this. Any possibility on CD/LP of similar set of MC5 Elektra/Atlantic sessions?

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  20. Jason_Rhino

Jason_Rhino Forum Resident

Awesome.

No plans for anything like that yet for MC5.

zphage likes this.
  21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

This thread, and release, is for those that want these sessions on vinyl. There's nothing here that hasn't been released before, so the hardcore fans actually already have this on CD. But some people want it on vinyl. This is for them.

giantleech, Tom Campbell and NaturalD like this.
  22. jasonx12

jasonx12 Forum Resident

I pulled the trigger. I have knots in my stomach, though. What the hell did I just do?

23. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Bought a great piece of rock n roll.

24. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

How does one check the available quantity?

25. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Lost me with the "extensive essay by Henry Rollins". No thanks.

If you're as big of a fan of this record as I am... you already have it, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.