Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I pretty sure no one in this thread owns this release yet. It doesn’t come out until July.

D.B. likes this.
  2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I wasn't referring to the box and trinkets, but rather the actual original album (July 1970).

But if you want to buy it again at the highest possible price and have Henry Rollins explain it to you, go for it.

uzn007 likes this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I’m with you on the guest essays. I don’t need anyone to tell me how awesome this album is. But this issue is far more than the original album and “trinkets”...it’s got all the outtakes from the sessions.

Nosferatuz and giantleech like this.
  4. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

There was a 7 CD box set of these sessions that came out a number of years ago. The live album was also previously released.

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Those came out in 1999. If vinyl is your cup of meat, a nicely condensed 2-LP version came out in 2017 (highly recommend). The singles were reissued a few years before that.

There could be a case for putting all of this together in one box, for people who are new to this album or want to replace a worn original copy. But they always get cute and go that extra step and include Dave Grohl or Billy Corgan in the project, or include some dice or a tacky badge. This is for collectors, not fans.

dlemaudit likes this.
  6. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would expect it to take a while at $400.

7. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'd say no more or less possibility than before this Stooges set as all the material in the Stooges set is previously released.

bagstiv likes this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yes, this is a vinyl issue of the previously released complete Fun House sessions, as outlined in post one of this thread. Not sure what argument you’re trying to make. Buy, don’t buy...I don’t care.

D.B., nodeerforamonth and Toddarino like this.
  9. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

So, I love this album, but I really don’t see why I would want LPs of all the outtakes. That’s CD material. A box with the 45rpm album and the singles, as well as the live album on vinyl, with CDs for the outtakes, would have my attention. I just have to think the demand for this all-vinyl set at $400 is limited.

Nosferatuz, Chris M and Kevin j like this.
  10. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Yes. I have multiple copies of the original album. I also have the cd set and live release.
    I bought this because I’m a fan of this album and band.
    Sorry to hear this reissue and “trinkets” aren’t for you.

11. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I can understand why Rhino wanted to offer up everything regarding this album in one limited box.I can’t understand why they WON’T offer the 2 lp 45 RPM version as a separate release for say RSD? Just about EVERY classic rock title they reissue/recycle it is done in “A different color” -that’s it ! For once why can’t they “think outside the box” and offer some albums as MOFI does (2 lp-45 RPM editions).They’ed make more money on each package-so what is the argument against it?

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My guess is they want to sell you the set.

Kevin j likes this.
  13. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Simple. You want the 45rpm version? That’ll be 400 bucks (plus tax and shipping).

musictoad and Big Blue like this.
  14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I miss the OLD Rhino-where I could just buy the item on impulse -not consider taking out a loan for it!

15. “Wow, this is awesome! 45 rpm mastering of the original album, the outtakes on vinyl, the Ungano’s live set too, extensive liner notes...and $400 is no problem for something this great! But hey, wait a minute...

Henry Rollins is involved?

“F*** this s#!t.”

16. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My only complaint would be that for that money, they could have included an EP of Henry Rollins reading the essay.

punkmusick and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

You can also listen to it on Amazon prime music right now. At this very moment.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

We’re living in the future, maaaaaannnnn!

bagstiv and D.B. like this.
  19. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

Funny I wasn’t aware that amazon prime music somehow managed to infiltrate my turntable. What a time to be alive.

punkmusick and D.B. like this.
  20. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I'm glad I have the original big cdbox numberered but this tempting.

21. rlp

rlp Forum Resident

I wonder if this is the new treatment of the old Rhino HandMade projects? Press 'em on vinyl and regurgitate the same content, just in a new format.

22. Schoolmaster Bones

Well that's not exactly how it played out in my head.

I was already on the fence over some of the other details, and I'm certain I wasn't thinking $400 was "no problem." But, yeah, the Henry Rollins essay is when I threw the flag. It's foolish I know to expect these sets to ever be perfect, but sometimes there's that one detail where you just think "well that's it for me".

I'm definitely curious about the other 7" they included though.

23. So are they using the digital files from 1997 CD reissue? Any guesses how will it stack up sonically compared to the 33rpm Rhino circa 2010?

24. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

So who else here other than myself has already thrown down the clams for this beast of a box?

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Sets like this are what digital media was made for.

Putting this on vinyl seems ridiculous.

Electric Sydney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.