Iggy Stooges Fun House Rhino LP release 50th anniversary deluxe edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by starfieldroad, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Pre-ordered mine! The 1999 CD box—yes, already 21 years ago—is one of my favorite boxed sets. Play it like Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung. That is, at least once a year in consecutive order, one disc a day.

2. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

D.B. likes this.
  3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

For RSD they should issue the takes used on the LP without overdubs in the original album sequence. Use an outtake from the LP cover and call it Funhouse Raw.

Follow this up with The Complete Raw Power Sessions.

4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Well, it's interesting to me: The original set posited the question (in the liner notes) :"Who would want to listen to all this?" and had Rollins replying "I would!" but in subsequent interviews he came across as somewhat disappointed by it.

He is a good and experienced writer, yes I would be interested in finding out what he has to say now about it. Not £400 interested obviously but.

Meanwhile, I take it that the three sided 45rpm version is going to be putting the end of Side 1 and the start of side 2 together? Dislike that.

punkmusick and Electric Sydney like this.
  5. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Yeah, I agree (though, ultimately, I can still deal with it.) Dirt and L.A. Blues should have each been given their own sides (sides b and d, of course.) Etchings are just pointless.

6. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

I have the cd version and love it, this is one of those items that I would love to have in my collection but financially I really have to pick my battles.

Nosferatuz likes this.
  7. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Nah. Digital doesn't do this type of music justice. Can't hit the proper reproduction of the guitar tones. Particularly higher notes. At all. No comparison.

OE3 likes this.
  8. James_S888

This looks like a labour of love.
    Someone or someones at Rhino just love this record and decided to do a really proper job on it.
    45 rpm discs, all outtakes. All Analog. Total no-brainer.

This particular record, to me is unplayable on CD. No balls.

bagstiv and Jason_Rhino like this.
  9. James_S888

The Rhino 2010 Ron McMaster cut of Fun House, was that high resolution digital or analog?

As I remember, it sounded very good.

bagstiv and DangerousKitchen like this.
  10. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Just a bit of information for folks buying this. It is available on both Rhino UK and the USA Rhino site so for UK buyers no extra taxes/duties etc. I have not looked but there may be other Rhino sites for Europe etc.

Electric Sydney likes this.
  11. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

It has been confirmed here (basically) that the 2x45 rpm set of the album "Fun House" in this set is all analog, but are the complete recording/outtake sessions being cut all analog as well or are they from files? I don't believe how those sessions are cut here has been confirmed. I'm in either way but if the entirety of this set (including Live at Ungano's) is AAA then this makes it all an absolute must.

bagstiv likes this.
  12. James_S888

That's a good point, I was thinking of that on my way back from lunch.
    Maybe Jason from Rhino can let us know what the sources for all the outtakes are. Analog or high resolution digital?

I've already pre-ordered and paid for the set :)

13. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

I’d really like some MC5 deluxe editions!

bagstiv and zphage like this.
  14. IIRC The hype sticker on the cover stated "Cut from the original analog tapes"

Nosferatuz likes this.
  15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

To be honest, of all the box sets I own, I think I have partially read the written material included with maybe two of them. I can’t understand what is or is not included in terms of liner notes being a deal maker or breaker for something like this. You buy a box set for the music, don’t you?

16. James_S888

Yeah, so do any number of other issues, transferred from the tapes to high resolution digital. Pink Floyd for example. Which was 96/24.
    Craft records recent reissues of Isaac Hayes "haft" and "Hot buttered soul" is another one. The sticker says the same thing. But they refuse to confirm AAA.

17. We all know misinformation abounds but it's important to make the distinction between the claims. Cut vs. Mastered is a tremendously different claim. ie: the 2010 Funhouse states "cut" which implies taken from the tape. "Mastered" as in the case of the Pink Floyd however, is much more ambiguous if not damning as it usually implies a digital file was cut from the tape and that file was used to master the Pink Floyd re-issue. Big difference. Huge difference.

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Rollins is one of my favorite musicians. His output from the Black Flag and Rollins Band days are great. I do care about what he has to say.

Nosferatuz and Big Blue like this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I would listen to Henry Rollins tell a story about grocery shopping. He’s a fantastic storyteller and a solid writer, and about the biggest fan/student of Iggy/the Stooges I could name.

Nosferatuz, katstep and punkmusick like this.
  20. punkmusick

Yes, sounds amazing

21. punkmusick

He is a true music fan like many of us too.

Nosferatuz and Big Blue like this.
  22. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

My reason for not wanting such a large collection of alternate takes on LP is I am never going to want to just put an LP of alternate takes on and listen through more than one time. It’s a lot of money to listen to most of the set once. That’s why I agree with the idea that studio outtake material is better-served by CD, where you can easily skip to the track you want to hear. I’m glad this is going to exist on vinyl for those who want it, but I would be much more interested in a hybrid vinyl/CD set for this.

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

well, you can create your own. there is a 2lp best of from these sessions, and the (admittedly out of print) original 7cd box set, which is also available on streaming services. as far as the 45rpm cut version, i'd bet they will release that separately at some point.

24. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Sure, I’m just speaking in terms of my not understanding how buying this set is an appealing use of $400. A hybrid vinyl/CD set would likely cost less and be more practical for listening, IMO.

I’d want the 45rpm of the album, the singles, and the live album on vinyl, all the rest on CD. Charge me $150 for that, and it can be my birthday present to myself.

It’s OK that this set isn’t for me, I am just surprised by the demand there appears to be for it. I just don’t understand alternate take/session outtake material on LP, in general.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

understood. if we all got to choose what releases we wanted and in what format it would be a very messed up system! I suppose someone at the top has to make the tough decisions for us.

Big Blue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.