Ignoring download cards in vinyl purchases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muriel Heslop, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

If the codes are for mp3 downloads I normally give them away to friends .
    I normally buy the both the CD and vinyl versions of a album and rip the CD which sounds far better than mp3 .
    If they are quality Hi Res files like you got with the Peter Gabriel vinyl I keep them.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  2. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

I toss them away, directly in the paper bin

3. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

I started doing that, but I was just ending up with piles of CDs I was never going to play- and I already have a closet full of those :D

I don’t mind paying for the convenience of doing a click on my phone and having it added into my iTunes library right there and then.

Razzle123 likes this.
  4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I’m really curious about this. What is your source for this 20% number?

5. Chris Treece

Chris Treece Forum Resident

The last few Back to Black releases I’ve picked up have a high-res option on the d/l card. Plus a ‘dubbed from disc’ option, which I assume is a needledrop for that authentic vinly crackle.

JamieLang likes this.
  6. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

I used to batch them up over a few weeks then have a session where I'd download them all, convert any WAV files to FLAC, and anything on mp3 I'd copy across to my iTunes library.

Just not had the time recently, or the inclination. So there's a couple of years worth of download cards sat in a drawer (along with the last couple of years CD purchases that need ripping and filing - most of my buying these days is on vinyl) that I'll get round to downloading, re-tagging and filing and some point. I work on a contract basis now and it's been 100% busy for the last 18 months or so, but there's bound to be a 'break' at some point when I'll catch up with this stuff.

The reality is I already have so much music ripped and stored on my portable players that if I'm on a trip anywhere I've got plenty ready to listen to and anything new that I REALLY need to listen to before I've got round to cleaning the vinyl and listening to properly (and there's another pile of that stuff I need to catch up with) then I'll listen on Tidal in the short term.

Essentially I'm music rich and time poor!!

zither and LivingForever like this.
  7. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Not too long ago records came with a real cd version: in a card sleeve, tucked inside the record jacket. That probably doesn't happen (much) anymore, but it was great while it lasted.

8. ShayLaB

ShayLaB Forum Resident

Nuisance.

Get in the way when putting the sleeve back in

An anachronism in a streaming world.

9. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

The only reason I bought recent Rush on vinyl was for the Sean Magee 24/96 download cards, never touched the vinyl.
    I guess I'm the OP in reverse :).

artfromtex likes this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I download them, back them up to an external hard drive & burn on to a CD.

11. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

The forum needs a thread where they can be given away, it's a shame to waste them.

12. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Only ever used them if i don't have a physical counterpart such as a CD. I don't know why they can't just stick a CD In the sleeve. Surely the manufacturing cost of a CD vs printing the codes / hosting the files is more than what it is to make a CD.

13. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

I'm another dinosaur....never used any download card I've found in a record. If I want music on the go (which usually I don't), I just rip a CD.

I do download the occasional release or track/s if they're only available in that format.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

As is Vinyl.

SoporJoe and Dudley Morris like this.
  15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The recent Peter Gabriel LPs included high res download cards.

16. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I would buy SO much vinyl if that was the case.

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I redeem 'em all. I have a brass business card holder that is a monkey holding a tray over it's head...I call him "download monkey". He's next to my turntable so I just place the cards there. When the pile is getting big I go to my computer and download the files. Sometimes a card will be good for 2 or 3 downloads. If that's the case, I take a picture of the card and text it to a friend.

I'm a big fan of vinyl, but ffs...I can't fit a turntable in my pocket!

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

In the following article. I misremembered, though - highest rate mentioned was 25%.

Vinyl Download Cards — Vinyl Me, Please

19. scotto

scotto Senior Member

I never use them, but I always offer them to friends.

20. Tartifless

I launched a thread but it was deleted as this is an illegal activity

21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

22. Tartifless

They should put the CD with the lp, that would be great !

23. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Used to happen, but the practice has fallen out of favour and has mostly been replaced by the download code.

24. nsmith1002

nsmith1002 Forum Resident

With the card that came with my copy of Beck's Modern Guilt I had no choice. I had to ignore it because there was no code in the box on the card:

[​IMG]
    It was purchased in October of 2008 so it falls within the period that the download was good for.

Maybe it was printed with invisible ink? I dunno...

Or was this some sort of joke from Beck?

I really did not want a lossy version of this anyway!

25. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

yeah, this is a great idea. I give away most to friends - when I remember that is. truth is - half the time I actually forget I have them and wonder why it's taking so long for the record to go back into the sleeve. seeing people in this thread bragging about just tossing them just seems such a waste. a dedicated thread offering downloads/swaps would be sweet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.