Ignoring download cards in vinyl purchases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muriel Heslop, Jun 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Usually download cards have an expiration date but there also are some exceptions (unlimited option).
    Interestingly, the McCartney Archive cards from the last few box sets have an expiration date although the older ones have not. Earlier this year I bought the RAM set and still could download the material.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No. I’m referring to once downloaded after a year music no longer loads.

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Oops sorry. I think you can at least re-download the audio from the 'Back To Black' DL cards at any time. Even years later.
    After the first redeem of a 'Back To Black' product you automatically get an account that later will collect the things you redeem there.

4. I just discovered that the Steve Winwood vinyl re-releases from 2017 contain a download for WAV files in 24/96, with full dynamic range. That is great, when they do that.

The most recent Deep Purple vinyl re-releases (on Purple vinyl) did contain (for the most part) a download in 16/44 WAV format of a mastering that does not exist on CD, with full dynamic range intact. These offer in some cases now the best digital version.

I noticed with "The Sound of Vinyl" there is quite often, but not always, a download in WAV format offered, instead of MP3.

I do consider downloads in MP3 format only an emergency or temporary solution, but if I don't own the respective album on CD yet, I usually grab the download and add it to my music library on HDD. Quite often, sometimes down the road, I replace the MP3 files with WAV/FLAC files, if I purchase the CD later on or am able to borrow it from a friend.

Anyhow, I consider a download card a welcomed option. If it is not your thing, there is no need to use them. You can keep them in the record, or throw them out, or give them two friends, although I don't know if that is "technically" (or should I say legally) the correct way to do it. With Amazon, if you order a record or CD as a gift, you do not get the Autorip, and I think this is for legal reasons.

Imagine70 and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

I've got a basket I throw them all in. Probably a hundred or so in there now. Never figured out what to do with them.

LoveYourLife likes this.
  6. Dave 81828384

Dave 81828384 Unremarkable Member

Not too long ago I purchased the vinyl version of Simple Mind's Acoustic because of the download code. That was the only way to get 3 tracks that weren't available as part of the normal digital release. I have no turntable....

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

While I certainly see the benefit of broccoli, I sure wouldn't hand it out to people free with their purchase of fries at Burger King. You just clog the trash bins, deplete the nation's broccoli supply, and get comedians to snark about it.

Look at how so many vinyl obsessives in this very thread went out of their way to make fun of getting something given to them for free. Just the wrong venue, is all.

gritty and Dave 81828384 like this.
  8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what do you do with the DL cards?

Muriel Heslop likes this.
  9. Michael

I'll take the ones you don't care for! LOL.

Kevin j likes this.
  10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I always use it. While vinyl is my preferred listening medium, I stream, and I buy and listen to cd's and cassettes. Having it on my hard drive serves as a backup, plus I can add it to a mix when I want. Nice to have options.

11. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high Thread Starter

I leave them in the album sleeve as I like to keep my records with all original items intact.

12. Michael

gotcha! I can relate to that. : ) but, you should DL the albums!

13. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

I've already bought Eldorado, Face the Music, A New World Record, Discovery and Time all by Electric Light Orchestra on Legacy Recordings Limited Edition Clear Vinyl from various independent online retailers/sellers, not Amazon, in 2016, but they didn't use We Are Vinyl mp3 music file downloads at that time, does anyone have unused download cards for these particular releases or knows someone who can help me out here?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I downloaded my first one a few weeks ago. It was from a Paul Weller box set of 45’s. The code was expired, but I wrote to the company and they gave me a code to access the files. I only wanted them because one of the 45’s was so badly warped.

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I don't believe they included them in any manufacture. My Face The Music didn't.

16. TrekkiELO

TrekkiELO Forum Resident

When did you purchase yours?!

According to this collector, Electric Light Orchestra A New World Record had it at one time or another, there's even a generic picture with that album printed below!

Electric Light Orchestra / A New World Record

[​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  17. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

Just received my most recent vinyl purchase by the mailman. It's the 2015's "Cream - The Singles 1967-1970" boxset with 10 7 inch singles in mono with specially designed picture sleeves. Very low priced eBay purchase in damn fine condition that came with a download card that still could be redeemed. I usually use download cards that come with vinyl but can't say i listen to them a lot. Redeemed the voucher and downloaded the available file of these 20 songs in .wav-files (instead of mp3). Then i spotted 7 other Cream files free for download and downloaded them all. It's their entire catalogue in .wav-files and probably in a very high bitrate because these files are huge (many GB's!). Bonus content? Mistake?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Heh, pretty neat they did it for this one!
    Cool as well- they are using the MOV stampers, so your'e not going to get the compressed remaster for it :)
    Shame MOV only did a few ELO titles.

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

WOW!!

20. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

I'm a strictly physical media guy (90%vinyl) and I give the download cards to my daughter.

21. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I use every single download card I get. It’s nice to have a real digital file that I own (and can back up) instead of something rented from the cloud. I also make sure to use them just to keep up the minuscule percentile of people that redeem them in the hopes it’ll keep bands and labels from discontinuing them. Seems like they’re likely to go away relatively soon and that bums me out.

Dudley Morris and Dave 81828384 like this.
  22. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I find the whole idea of download cards inside LP pressing a bit weird (well, I don't want to offend anyone).
    What is wrong with You people? If You already have an LP why do You also need an inferior, downgraded to MP3 digital replica?

MielR likes this.
  23. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I had a really annoying one recently, finally picked up Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future on vinyl and the code expired in December 2018. It was a 24-bit HD download too =\

The LPs skip in my car sometimes, so being able to Bluetooth an MP3 from my phone really helps.

[​IMG]

24. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Well, it's too bad that "LP skips in Your car" but I can't relate - I live in New York and don't even have a car because I don't need it.
    I buy LP's because I like my music to sound good, and to sound good it should be trough wooden speakers, there's no way around it IMO.
    And by the way, even when You transfer hi-rez music file trough Bluetooth protocol it downgrades it to MP3 quality anyway, so what's the point?

25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Again, because people look at me funny when I take a turntable to the gym.

It may shock you to learn that other people may have different desires and experiences than your own. Try to come to terms with this on your own time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.