Ikea Chopping Board for Turntable Isolation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJtheAudiophile, Oct 24, 2018.

1. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I use a combination of a maple butcher block and Isoacoustic Orea isolation feet under both my turntables. I consider this the most extravagant piece of audiophoolery in which I’ve engaged. By this, I mean I probably could have spent much less and achieved just about the same result. However, they set ups look nice and look better than the rubber isolation blocks I had used prior…

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I have 2 of the Ikea boards at the moment woth components on and need a 3rd but I can’t find the rubber semisphere feet that I bought a few years ago to go under my current boards. Has anyone in the UK seen anywhere online shops that carry them? Everything seems to be flat but I like the balance and give you get from the semispheres.

3. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

RDC Cones offer a extra degree of isolation and therefore may fit your needs, I tried them under my equipment in the past and there was a positive effect.
    Clearlight Audio - RDC 2 Equipment Cones ( Pack of 4 )

4. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

search for something like this on Amazon
    Make sure you get ones rated properly
    eg, TT plus board = 35 lbs
    ~ 9 lb /each
    Try to get ~ 70% of rating ~ 12 -15 lb range
    7-14 lb range puts 9 in the middle
    1.5" Dia Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet with Adhesive

Sorbothane Hemisphere Rubber Bumper Non-Skid Feet with Adhesive

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    33na3rd and Porkpie like this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks! These are the type I currently use under 2 boards but was missing the word sorbothane from my search. Just bought 4 x 40s to support 21kg (inc. board).

33na3rd likes this.
  6. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

same here…I just found this thread too. I use three Apptitligs under my amp, CD player and turntable; all three having isolation feet underneath.
    Anyway… I really like what you did with the Lack tables. Very cool.
    And…love your Cyrus integrated too!

sound chaser likes this.
  7. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

I’m using Aptitligs underneath my amplifier, CD player and vinyl playing machine.
    [​IMG]

Micke Lindahl, 33na3rd and GyroSE like this.
  8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Thanks very much for the kind words. The Cyrus you see is a Pre XVS, now no doubt considered a ‘legacy’ product.

To the left of it is the behemoth heart of the system, a Wyred4Sound ST 1000 ICEPower driven stereo power amp which I bought in the early days when EJ Sarmento had left Cullen Circuits in California to start W4S. In those days the dollar rate was favourable to the UK, not sure I could afford it now :), so thanks are due to the US.

9. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Indeed, one of my TTs has an unused cutting block I transformed to a base. I simply added the several adhesive felt pads followed by adhesive rubber pads.

I used a scrap piece of 3/4" lumber for my other pad.

The cutting block had the advantage of a smooth finish on one side with beveled edges.

10. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

Yes. As I stated in prior posts I used several adhesive felt pads followed by adhesive rubber pads. There are many alternatives.