Ikea Chopping Board for Turntable Isolation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DJtheAudiophile, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I believe we've just agreed and we can now shut this forum down.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

So do you have anything under your turntable?

3. Doug Walton

Doug Walton Forum Resident

Oh thanks for 'splainin' that to me.

4xoddic likes this.
  4. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

I'd question you're isolated,as I doubt that's enough to reduce the amount of energy a sub pumps out, If you're listening at 'low' volume then perhaps better isolation may not give significantly better results.

I've used a old IKEA shelf supported by two inner tubes, to great effect plus my speakers are similarly isolated.

The difference can be heard in the bedroom above, I play Dub 'loud' and my neighbors don't :cussing:

seed_drill likes this.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Not currently, since I played turntable shuffle. I had an Onkyo table up there that was missing the insides of it's feet. So I used Vibrocones and Vibropods without a platform. But that wasn't all that was wrong with that deck and it got tossed. I took my Dual CS 5000 out of my tube system and brought it upstairs, but didn't put anything under it.

I've got huge planks of two inch thick heart pine in my garage from an old staircase. I should really cut myself a slab.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  6. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Yeah, having thought it all over, I think my stuff is as well isolated as it needs to be. Since I already bought the vibropods, I'll just stick them under my amp. The cutting board is going into the kitchen...

bluesaddict likes this.
  7. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I think it's pretty helpful when people actually post a pic of what they are working with. Thanks!

Spin Doctor likes this.
  8. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The point that I’m making is mainly that the study you’re referring to has nothing to do with audio or wood. The comparison in the study was made between bamboo fiber vs. glass fiber-reinforced plastics. I’m not sure at all why you think such a comparison is relevant. In your quote you should also have put “glass fiber-reinforced plastics” in bold. Glass fiber-reinforced plastics are not wood. How you’ve extrapolated or morphed a comparsion between bamboo fiber vs. glass fiber-reinforced plastics into a comparsion of bamboo fiber vs. wood is unclear.

Wood - trees - are a renewable resource. Carefully managed, we’ll have a lot of wood for a very long time to come. Substituting grass and trying to force it to work well for applications in which wood and synthetic composites work better is an interesting effort, no doubt. Bamboo is limited in its effective application for certain uses because its natural form imposes limits. As for your concerns for our forests, I share those concerns. There again though, bamboo processing that produces workable board stock for the manufacture of products traditionally made of wood is just as environmentally messy as traditional forestry and wood product manufacturing.

9. rl1856

rl1856 Forum Resident

I use one, and it made a difference in isolation. LP12 TT

10. Micke Lindahl

Micke Lindahl Forum Resident

I've bought one to put under my Pro-Ject Xtension 9. Ordered a pack of Vibrapods (to put under the 'butcher') that'll probably arrive next week.
    Curious to test it. :)

808_state likes this.
  11. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

It's all about experimentation and what sounds good to you. Please do share your impressions once you've spent some time with it. Pictures are always welcome:righton:

Micke Lindahl likes this.
  12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

[​IMG]
    Just finished a few of these, baltic birch multiply sandwich with a layer of rubber/cork in between (the rubber/cork is cut from the same sheet/material that I use to make my tt mats). These will sit on 4 'no rumble' pads.

spartree, sublemon, Wasabi and 2 others like this.
  13. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I was at Ikea last night, and on a whim bought an Aptitlig bamboo cutting board, for possible use under a modified vintage AR with a mass-loaded suspension, etc. The turntable is situated on a Salamander "flexy" rack, and perched on four EVA isolation blocks. There was nothing inherently wrong with its performance, I just wanted to experiment.

Initially, I put the Aptitlig on the EVAs, with four hockey pucks under the AR. I immediately noticed much thinner, bass-lite performance. Just awful.
    Next, I put the hockey pucks under the board, and the EVAs back under the AR. This was better, but still leaner than before.
    Finally, I removed the Aptitlig altogether, and it was readily obvious that there was more dynamic impact, a fuller tonality, and better overall vividness and texture.

Based on this, I do not recommend using the Aptitlig for audio applications.

33na3rd likes this.
  14. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I had the same results in my system.

action pact likes this.
  15. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

My wife wanted to know right NOW why there was an order for silicone "falsies" on our mastercard.
    I bought two sets but not for stuffing in my bikini...
    They go under the boards that I use as plinths for both my turntable installs.
    And it is nice to know I can "fill out my bosom" anytime I want to.

Gumboo likes this.
  16. Dan

Dan Senior Member

mreeter and 33na3rd like this.
  17. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

mreeter likes this.
  18. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I’m also thinking about grabbing one of these from IKEA. Do you have any isolation under the chopping board? I ordered some sorbithane pads from Amazon, but they turned out to be tiny, just 3/4” in diameter. I don’t think they’ll do the trick.

19. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Yes, you'll need some vibropods or blocks of cork & rubber under the board.

Leviethan and quicksrt like this.
  20. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

I made almost the exact same thing a couple months ago. I put a layer of 1/16" (I think) rubber in between, no cork, and screwed them together. And it is sitting on some isolation cookies (designed for woodworking, but the same idea).

Great minds think alike... Does it actually work though? Eh, maybe. I have a suspended TT on it (older oracle paris) that is pretty susceptible to bouncing due to footfalls, it's not a great design. This helped somewhat. So maybe it isolates for other vibrations too. But it looks pretty cool.

bever70 likes this.
  21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Well, I also have a suspended tt. I use the Tonar No Rumble pads under the birch multiply platforms;

[​IMG]

Under the turntable I use something similar (no spikes for me). Everything sits on a very heavy mdf /cabinet (2" thick). I can jump up and down all I want on the floor (concrete, but on the first floor so it does actually vibrate when you jump). The needle doesn't move. Before I used a lighter cabinet and a slab of heavy stone sitting on the same No Rumble pads, needle would move and vibrate even when stomping on the ground. I guess the heavier cabinet also plays a part in this, but when you tap on top of the birch multiply, it sounds very dead when you put your ear to it . The stone slab (marble) had a definite ring. I just used woodglue to glue the 3 layers together, easier than screwing, no screws visible and I assume the glue provides 2 extra layers as well. I also have the rest of my system on the same 'platforms'. Including a harddrive, which could be heard buzzing and humming before when you put your ears on the actual cabinet. This birch platform has almost killed any buzzing coming from the hdd and going through the cabinet to reach the other components.
    I thought about making a wallshelf for the TT but with this setup, I don't need it anymore.

I don't know if these Tonar No Rumble pads are available in the US, but I highly recommend them. I tried putting cork/rubber pads under the TT (or platform) but they didn't do anything for me, when stomping on the ground, needle would move and vibrations were amplified! The No Rumble pads cost next to nothing but they work.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Gumboo and 33na3rd like this.
  22. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Same experience here. How come bass disappear with more mass and dampening under it? Could it be some vibration pads or to many make the system sway not being firm enough so in the hunt in removing vibration you actually add them.

33na3rd likes this.
  23. missan

missan Forum Resident

It could also be the most likely, that the less bass is more correct.

33na3rd and Pastafarian like this.
  24. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Seriously I have completely eliminated the feedback and floor coupling from my turntable which is right on top of four subwoofers on a loose wood floor!
    I put four silicon rubber "falsies" under a flat plinth of leftover shelf and then put four more falsies UNDER the feet of my SL1210.
    The whole affair now "floats" like a pile of Jell-o and will wiggle if you push on it.
    Bass is excellent, no problems from the gushie mounting points.
    Now when I use my KAB rumble filter it is only because the RECORD has noisy grooves, NOT because my set is picking up feedback.
    And I play it LOUD.
    My wife was VERY confused why I was buying "falsies" however.
    She thinks it's pretty hilarious.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    808_state likes this.
  25. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If you read through this whole thread, one thing sticks out. Nothing works for everyone. It obviously matters what type floor is under the table, and the type table is in use. Neither Rega table I have owned liked a high mass platform. Everything suffered, bass, soundstage, inner detail, etc. First thing I tried was the Lack table that everyone recommends, and it worked on the P3. Better everything, but still not there. I then added the EVA pads and the Ikea bamboo butcher block, now things were cooking. With the extremely low mass support, the EVA pads do work under the bamboo block. FOR a REGA. I simply swapped my P6 into the same position and was happy until this thread started.

Curiosity got the best of me, and tried a couple things. Making horizontal bearing from furniture cups, and vertical bearings from squash balls and pipe holders (recommended in this thread). The furniture cups flat worked, adding the squash balls bloated the bass. Also learned to not bypass the Rega feet on a foam plinth deck. It didnt like it.

Right now I am using Lack table, then EVA pad, then horizontal bearing, then Bamboo block, and finally the table. I do have wood subflooring. I can highly recommend this setup for a foam plinth REGA table if you have wood flooring. If you have some other brand, do as I did. Try a bunch of crap and see what works. Lots of great ideas on here, but there is no one magic bullet for all.