Ikea Eneby 20 bluetooth speaker is a winner!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Apr 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

My wife and I spent the past week in NYC, and while driving down to the city, we stopped off at the Ikea in New Haven to pick up a few things we needed.

I wanted something a little more substantial than my MacBook's tiny speakers for listening to music during our stay, so I decided to pick up one of Ikea's new Eneby 20. I'm also a sucker for attractive, clean, minimalist, classic industrial design, which Ikea (and Scandinavian designers in general) excel at.

The Eneby 20 is an 8" x 8" x 3" 20-watt mono bluetooth speaker with an auxiliary 3.5mm input jack as well. It is available in either black or white and this model only comes with a removable carrying handle. A larger and more powerful, non-portable version (which will fit perfectly inside a Kallax cubby) is also available, and some even smaller models were recently introduced as well. The single on/off knob also controls its volume, input source, and EQ.

Once we arrived at our Manhattan AirBnB, I set it up in the small dining area and had no problem getting it to recognize both my MacBook and iPhone. Using either my music library or the excellent Simple Radio app on my iPhone, we enjoyed listening to music with surprisingly good fidelity during our stay.

The Eneby 20's greatest strength is in the way it is voiced. It has a very natural, balanced tonality, with a slightly warm character; it is not tinny or exaggerated. The most surprising thing to me is its unexaggerated, musical bass performance, which is reinforced by a port in the rear. With careful placement, the Eneby 20 sounds full and satisfying. Listening online to Newark's excellent jazz station, WBGO-FM, I could easily follow bass lines and even hear some of the instrument's texture and feel the thump of the player's string attack.

I don't know who Ikea partnered with to design this, but for a mere $49, the Ikea Eneby 20 is a complete success. It works well as a small music source for the home (I'm now using it in the kitchen) with a sophisticated visual appeal, and its small size, carrying handle, and optional battery pack make it portable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An optional battery pack and table stand as also available:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Good review. Hopefully, there are no issues with Android devices.

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The Enebys are really surprising units. The Eneby 30 outclasses the 20, but at the expense of portability. The 30 is outstanding in terms of SQ.

action pact likes this.
  4. action pact

If I'm not mistaken, in an earlier thread you wrote something like "Check out the Eneby. It will really surprise you." :righton:

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

Yes my audiofile club LTS has measured that speaker. And it got the :righton: up. For what they are!

action pact likes this.
  6. action pact

No kidding? That's cool.

7. Optimize

Optimize Forum Resident

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

Yes I wrote that because it is a furniture company and you would not expect sound quality similar to or better than units coming from a dedicated audio company.:o:righton:

action pact likes this.
  9. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

No aptx bluetooth ??

10. action pact

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Didn't they also team with Sonos on a table lamp/speaker combo? They obviously mean business.

12. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I've looked at these and have tried to convince myself I need one since they seem so neat. Reminds me of my little Tivoli table radio I kept in the bathroom for years - warm and inoffensive. I'm not seeing where they're called "20" or "30", though, just "Eneby". Or maybe the actual names are "New Eneby" and "Eneby Air"? ;)

I was also going to make a joke about needing an allen wrench to assemble it, until I saw that you actually do.

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

IKEA seems to team with both Teenage Engineering and Sonos. I am not sure that the Eneby is constructed by any of these though. The Sonos speakers are out now.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  14. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Do I need this....no. Am I ordering one as we speak....yes!

action pact likes this.
  15. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

Oluv liked it:

action pact and JackG like this.
  16. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

That really measures well for what it is.

17. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, I wonder if Ingvar Öhman is involved.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  18. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

So is it only bluetooth 4.2 or also aptx bluetooth ? Can't understand why anyone would buy a non-aptx bluetooth audio speaker.

19. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

20. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

I wonder too.

21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Very cool-looking! ...

Could it look any more 1965 Denmark? I don't think so! A very good thing. :)

I wish I knew what the hell Blueteeth were ...

22. missan

missan Forum Resident

To me it seems more likely than not.

23. james

james Summon The Queen

Shot in the dark but does anyone have one of these and are using a Chromecast into the Aux input?

I’d like to replace my Amazon Echo and want it to be a Roon endpoint. The IKEA speaker has an aux input I could use with a Chromecast. I just wonder how quiet it is if left on and there’s no audio signal being fed to it

24. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

My Eneby arrived today (the 20). Sounds great! For casual around the house/yard I usually use a Bose Color Soundlink or if I’m really jamming a Bose Compact L1. Note: I’m not a Bose fanboy but I use their products for weddings and brides/grooms tend to hear with their eyes and the baked in Bose sound doesn’t offend me like it does others haha.
    The Eneby kills the Soundlink and the other small, inexpensive Bluetooth speakers I have. Sound quality I think is as good or better than the compact L1 the only deficit being comparative volume/power.
    It’s a winner for $50, would be real cool if you could pair a pair in stereo.

[​IMG]

action pact, Mlle. Aurora and james like this.
  25. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I wonder how the big Eneby would fair hooked up to my bedroom TV? I have a shelf right above my tv and it would fit perfectly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.