I'll never buy another NAD.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Larry Naramore, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I have a NAD T760 that no longer functions properly. It's okay for running one player through the first channel, but not a second player through any of the other sets of inputs . . . the sound is very weak, distant . . .

I switched out interconnects, checked my speaker cables, etc., and nothing helped. This is my first and last NAD. I don't recall how old it is (5 years?), but my older gear lasted decades (and that's the point of comparison).

This NAD thread is similar the "I won't buy Denon" thread. It's sad but most modern gear isn't built to last. I've seen this in stereo gear, TVs, and appliances.

It's part of the overall decline in consumer goods that seems to have accelerated during the last 30 years. The way to make more money is to built stuff that doesn't last. Sony doesn't want to sell you a TV every thirty years; they will make more money if they sell you a new TV every five years. Yeah, sometimes innovation justifies "early" replacement, but not always. Ultimately, this is a disgusting situation, and I'm not even talking about the purchase price the consumer bears. I'm talking about the electronic garbage generated by the system. The environmental impact is huge.

All those old TVs, appliances, cellphones have to be buried somewhere. Much of it is not recyclable, or at least not profitable to recycle.:shake:

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

No. Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

BTW, the Luxman probably just needs some Deoxit though a cap replacement probably wouldn't hurt at it's age.

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Am I the only one humming Dionne Warwick? :D

4. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

Careful pairing more revealing sources with less revealing amplification. I think you already, unknowingly, learned that lesson with your Saturn / lower-end NAD combo. Results can be rather nasty.

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Don't make her over.

6. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

Not quite what you think. I've been at this for quite some time. The results weren't nasty at all. The Saturn's sound was simply too saturated for the setup I had. The result was a slower sound that what I prefer. I wouldn't have any problem putting another higher end CD player into the system. The NAD C326BEE with replacement amp/pre amp jumpers sounds every bit as good as the Rega Mira 3 or Unison Research Unico P that I owned before. I gave Paul Seydor a hard time about his review of this amp...I was wrong. Sorry, Paul.

7. Art K

True dat.

8. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

:righton:

9. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

I fixed the volume knob with Deoxit, this is a steady noise that gets louder as the volume is turned up.

10. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

The Japan made NAD gear was rather expensive. The 7140 had a list price of 700 bucks or so in 1986. That was an integrated amp with 2x40 watts RMS with 3 DB of headroom. The 7240 PE followed it (2x40 with 6 DB of headroom) but cost a couple hundred less but was made in Taiwan.

11. Static Discharge

Static Discharge Forum Resident

I have an old NAD 5120 turntable that I believe was made in Czechoslovakia. I bought it in the mid 80's and it still works well all these years later. Only NAD product I ever purchased.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

13. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

Your ears, not mine. The Saturn isn't a "slow sounding" source, FWIW. Odd that it would sound that way in your setup.

14. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

15. fathom

fathom Senior Member

I have had a lot of NAD gear going back to 1985 and in general it is excellent, especially their amps, integrated amps, and receivers. Their disc players sound great for the price but at times have had reliability problems.

That said, my newest piece is some 4 years old, so if they are having recent quality problems I can't comment on that.

But in general, they have provided a reliable mid-fi platform that has allowed me to concentrate more on music than hardware.

16. Art K

You misread what I stated. I said "in the context of my setup" it was slow. When I ran the Saturn with a Sonneteer Alabaster integrated it was just right. Every system has to be balanced and changing out the source rather finding a better amp was my solution.

I knew that it would be quite sometime until I could afford a new amp and my family had a devastating setback in June when my daughter passed away. High end audio took a back seat to other concerns.

I would like to try the Rega Brio R and a complimentary source but that will wait as well.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Jesus,our condonances,many of us can relate to hobbies taking a back seat.

We can only wish you and your family peace.

18. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You might want to check over at Audiokarma or the Luxman list serve on Yahoo.

19. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

Tip: If the remote keys light up when they are pressed and this feature can be turned off, doing so will likely extend battery life considerably. My TiVo remote eats batteries quickly, too, but not nearly as quickly when I turn off the lighting feature.

20. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Every time I shop for new gear, I casually look at Nad and I always read about tons of problems. I generally do not like the look of their gear either. Some of it has a real 'army surplus' look.

21. sushimaster

sushimaster Forum Resident

I got a real big nad...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. FatElvisForever

FatElvisForever Member

I read your posts perfectly and understood you perfectly. The Sonneteer outclasses your NAD and is likely a better match for the former Saturn.

Hence my original point. Higher end sources don't always match well with lower end amplification.

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

NAD, Marantz and Cambridge Audio are highly unreliable.
    All of them made in China, yet overpriced. Surely they sound great, but don't want to have machines that last a few months and then plenty of misfunctions, errors, etc

24. Art K

Perhaps but not in this case. That is the phrase I disagreed with. The Sonneteer was a better amp...however now I have what I have and must match it. For now.

25. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

I don't blame you. I wouldn't buy a piece of stereo gear by a company with the name of a part of the male anatomy ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.