SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Yeah, I've had car dreams like that as well. Parked it, at night, can't find it. It's usually my high school VW bug. Weird, eh?

tubesandvinyl and Lownote30 like this.
  2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It is! I guess your real life fears trigger old stressors in your dreams. The mind is an odd thing!

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Yep, I had same experience...license required.

[​IMG]
    billboard for the long-dead KMET-FM radio station rose over the San Fernando Valley last week, shocking passers-by who recall the once infamous LA radio station. It's for a movie project by writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson. Anderson, who was born in Studio City in 1970 and raised in the San Fernando Valley, has set three of his previous movies in the Valley: “Boogie Nights,” “Magnolia,” and “Punch-Drunk Love.” Bradley Cooper has one of the leading roles.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  4. GlobalObserver

GlobalObserver Observing The Globe Since 1964

@Steve Hoffman

Just out of curiosity, are you close friends with any audio engineers/producers who are heavy-handed with their use of compression on the recordings they master/remaster?

If so, do you ever discuss this issue with them?

5. Steve Hoffman

I am not.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  6. GlobalObserver

Good. Neither am I. :laugh:

7. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Kudos. That's a good question so late in this thread.

billnunan and GlobalObserver like this.
  8. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Best story you have ever posted.

9. Steve Hoffman

Thanks. Probably just as well she didn't sneak me back to her tour bus. I might have gotten stage fright or something. Or maybe not; I really liked her..

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    2141, hi_watt, Juggsnelson and 7 others like this.
  10. Mine is I have my bass and amp in the car, and I'm driving to the gig, only I can't find the venue! I've had variations of it a handful of times, even though I haven't played in a band for 14 years.

Lownote30 and showtaper like this.
  11. GlobalObserver

Did you pop a wheelie? :D

If that had happened to me, I would have popped a wheelie of such a magnitude that it would have even impressed Evel Knievel. :laugh:

12. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

One of my favorite DCC Gold Discs.

13. Timos

Timos Forum resident

“Ohhh...the AF over the DCC Pet Sounds! Controversial! I dig both, but as I'm sure you know the DCC is a beloved forum favorite.”

Couldn’t have put it better myself!

14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Desolation Row for me

15. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I disagree. If one has an interest in sound quality, then we can assume they care about good sound. I'm 59, and like Steve stated, my friends and I also wanted a good sound system even if we couldn't afford the best. One learns to care and understand about sound quality over time. The best way to get hooked was when we heard better systems. My friend's father had AR/3 speakers and an AR turntable. Fantastic in its time. Made me want to go out and upgrade. Then I was hooked. If someone wants a good stereo, odds are they were exposed to good sound somewhere.

Tom Favata likes this.
  16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My point is that even back in the day, such people were in the minority.

17. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes, audiophiles have always been a niche group. But sadly, in today's world, the desire to recreate a musical event in one's living room has shrunk. The desire for music has been consistent, but the trend is for portability via headphones. No one cares about the source, mastering, etc. Yes, those who cared about good sound were a small group, but still big enough at one time to allow the the equipment high end to explode in the late 70s and 80s. The Golden age for audiophiles. We are still around, and have the funds to continue to buy, but I fear the younger crowd could care less about a tube amp or turntable.

18. UltraDNS

UltraDNS Staying in Seattle?

I see Bob Ludwig mentioned frequently on my albums for doing both original Mastering and Remastering.

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I got your Japanese version / pressing of the DCC CD of "Wheels Of Fire", Steve, a good 20-or-so years ago, and I :love: it.

One of my favorite albums... finally sounding wonderful.

20. Steve Hoffman

I never get tired of WHEELS OF FIRE..

Aoide, JorgeGvb, Jon H. and 4 others like this.
  21. john lennonist

It is so varied!

From sort of straight ahead stuff like "Born Under a Bad Sign" to "Pressed Rat and Warthog" (love that song -- especially how they rip it up in the outro!), "As You Said," "Passing the Time," etc.

22. john lennonist

IIRC, Steve, your initial radio tenure (inc. Disneyland) was during 1976-77, which is when I assume you crossed paths with your beloved Barbara Mandrell.

Too bad it wasn't 1978, as you could have offered to help her out re her then-new song, "Sleeping Single in a Double Bed"!

:laugh:

uzn007, Tommyboy, sunspot42 and 3 others like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Punny. :winkgrin:

24. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Is this your version, Steve...

You've been credited in the "Show More" section.

g.z. likes this.
  25. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

I am about your age and can't agree more. I remember Saturday visits to Lafayette in the early and mid 70s with my brother and dad. I would wander into the hi fi demo room and listen in envy and wonder, only to go back home and listen on my crappy 3 piece ceramic cartridge system.......and dream. I still have those classic Lafayette catalogues as a reminder of those long ago days.

Starwanderer and mozz like this.