SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Any markings?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Dunno. I did the CD at the same time.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sweet Thunder had a go at Frampton Comes Alive and Mad Dogs And Englishmen.
    Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

wwright likes this.
  4. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Hey Steve, I was curious about your thoughts on those Razor & Tie compilations you worked on, such as Super '70s and Awesome '80s. Were those a pain in the butt to compile and master, since most of them were two discs? And would those kind of compilations be almost impossible to do now, since so many of those artists are now under the big three (Universal, Warner, Sony)?

5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

It might be easier to get the clearances or licensing since there are fewer legal departments to deal with. However, after reading some of the hoop jumping through that is described in the Rubellan thread, they don't seem eager to do it.

jamesc likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

I didn't compile them, Razor & Tie did. I just mastered from sources they furnished me. A few times I could find better sources on the West Coast and so I used them. If they stated they wanted a certain version (a short version or a 45 RPM mix or whatever) I used that even though I had the album version as well. It was their call...

7. MacFan

MacFan Forum Resident

Compilations can be relatively hard to license.

I didn't read the complete Rubellan thread but I think that was about licensing a single band's album of tracks.

Compilations (like Razor and Tie's and Time Life Music's) are a different animal (made up of single songs from various bands or artists).

I don't know what's going on these days with licensing compilations and whether the labels continue to normally do this--but the general issues would be that the labels (if they are to approve licensing a master) have historically required advance guarantee payments against future royalties, and these advance payments can be high.

That might be doable if you have a reasonable way of potentially selling enough units (such as Razor and Tie's TV commercials back in the 1990's; or Time-Life's TV commercials and other sales channels during the same period).

But for a new business, these guaranteed costs can be daunting. Plus, I would guess that the labels (all else equal) would be not so interested in doing the legwork to license products unless they had big sales volume potential (either directly via that single product, or through the possibility of sales in a portfolio of potentially successful products).

TV sales back in the 1990's were the way to potentially produce big volumes (but, like drilling for oil) these could be hit or miss (and the production and media costs for a failed effort can also be expensive). Today, I don't know if the TV market still exists to do the same.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
    BZync, snkcube and chazz101s like this.
  8. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Interesting stuff! If you were the one making the call, would you have used the album version for all the songs? By the way, I love your mastering on those compilations. "Love Will Keep Us Together" sounds so sublime!

Vinylbeast likes this.
  9. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Here is some info on Legend when MCA took over ABC.

This is the first release on MCA after their acquisition of the ABC catalog.
    Producer Richard Orshof convinced MCA to remaster the disc using JVC Cutting Center because of the outstanding clarity of their half speed mastering system. Though the etching does not include the /2 addition to DWJ inscription it is indeed a half speed master.

JG

10. Steve Hoffman

Well, some of the comps were so long if all album versions were used there wouldn't be enough time on the disks. I believe I used some album tracks and some single tracks for a few of the comps. Just barely made it before the disk time ran out..

BZync, c-eling, snkcube and 1 other person like this.
  11. somnar

somnar Senior Member

Can you compare the way you hear something when you're mastering it vs. the way you hear it at home (or in the car or wherever)? Do you bring a level of technical criticality to it when you're working that precludes you from fully enjoying it as music?

If there is a difference, is it difficult to shift from one gear to the other?

g.z. likes this.
  12. teag

teag Forum Resident

UHQR? On Step? Don't encourage these overpriced ripoffs.

How about they do a nicely remastered 33rpm release at $35-40? That would suffice.

c-eling likes this.
  13. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have no interest (money actually) to buy the super expensive UHQR's, but I will credit to Chad Kassem for giving employment to people!

JG

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Steve, I understand that every job is different, but can you approximate how long you would spend on a mastering job for an album of standard length?

Obviously what makes a good mastering engineer stand out from others is knowledge, attention to detail along with the equipment they have at their disposal, but I'm also wondering how much time the best engineers put into a typical job. I may or may not be comparing your answer to that of an engineer who mastered a recording my old band did.... which was not at all to my liking.

15. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Then dumbed down to good old 16/44 just like those old AF Gold Discs I still enjoy :)

PH416156 and teag like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

I hear it like I always hear it. No difference, since forever. I hear all the flaws, etc. perhaps more, but it's not a deal breaker.

supermd, Vinylbeast, Ricm and 3 others like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Depends on the project. Back in the day if the tapes were in good shape, it might take a day to rehearse and a morning to master, that's the short of it. The long of it is weeks of prep, patching, comparing and then mastering. Always depended on the project. If you give me an example I can better advise you..

wwright, jmxw, supermd and 7 others like this.
  18. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Would you always gather and listen to original or early pressings to get a feel for various masterings before setting out to do your’s?

izgoblin likes this.
  19. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

That's more than helpful enough, but how about Joe Walsh's But Seriously Folks for Audio Fidelity? For some reason I figure that one would come especially easy to you.

You might guess that the person I was referring to - who has been used a lot by acts much bigger than my unknown band - was proud to spit out his jobs within a couple of hours. I couldn't even figure out how he had long enough to listen back to the album in full.

g.z. likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

The Joe Walsh took one day.

wwright, g.z. and izgoblin like this.
  21. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

Vinylbeast, PH416156 and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I was jamming Steve's Rebel Yell today :bdance:

PH416156 and George P like this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

uzn007, jhm, Vinylbeast and 4 others like this.
  24. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

How about your MCA Bing Crosby 'classics' CD?

g.z. likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

2 weeks for that one!