SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Steve, I recall your saying that "Wheels of Fire" was one of your most difficult / time-consuming jobs.

Am I remembering correctly that you also mentioned "Hotel California" among the toughies?

If so, what was the reason?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

HOTEL KALI-PHORNIA sucked. The Ampex 406 tapes from Criteria, Miami were wet with sticky shed, couldn't play them. The safety (made with the same s****y Ampex tape) was also ruined.

At that time not much was known about "tape baking".. Kevin and LRS Studios, Burbank knew a guy at Ampex up at Redwood City that said they could treat Sticky/Shed tapes and they could be used clear for about two weeks before going back to ruin. All we had to do was Fed Ex 'em up there and they would do it for us, gratis.

Well, the masters were useless the way they were so LRS in Burbank sent the master reels up to Ampex. Felt it best not to tell anyone. When they came back, wow! We could play them fine. So that was OK, we had two weeks.

Biggest problem was they sounded like ****. Way too much lumpy bass, I mean like 15 db too much.

The original EQ vinyl mastering notes told of giant bass cut off, giant treble boost and giant compressor to be used in the signal chain.

We didn't want to do any of that so I decided on a reverse EQ, to remove EQ instead of adding. This took a week, we had to string two Sontec units together but eventually, I got the sound where I liked it and we did a digital mastering and a 1:1 analog safety.

And so on...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    DrJ, Pinknik, wellhamsrus and 41 others like this.
  3. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

^^^ Very interesting and informative. I guess you just never know what kind of shape the master tapes will be in.

Steve, I believe you have commented on the general high quality of Audio Wave XRCDs. Indeed, I have about 12 of them, and they all sound excellent. Do you have any favorites? I know you really liked Explorations by The Bill Evans Trio on XRCD; any others come to mind?

4. Steve Hoffman

Speakin' My Piece
    TomCat
    Cool Struttin'
    Little Johnny C
    LD+3
    Soul Station
    Doin' Allright
    True Blue
    Etc.

All good neutral transfers from the original stereo Blue Note Master Tapes. All good ones!

5. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Yeah, those are some very good titles. What was the tape that BN used if you don't mind me asking?

jeff

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

You mean the tape stock? Scotch 111.

melkor_morgoth and vinylkid58 like this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Well thanks for all of the hard work on that one, Steve, because it sounds incredible!

One of the very best-sounding of my 15 or so DCC LPs (I also have about 30 DCC CDs, including the fantastic-sounding "Wheels of Fire" -- mine's the Japanese pressing -- that I referenced above).

:righton:

wellhamsrus and melkor_morgoth like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Still hard for me to play HOTEL without a slight feeling of panic, even after all these years.

9. FramboGND

FramboGND Givin' it all

I saw an old post on here, something about master tapes in Ian Anderson's shed... I was wondering have you met him at all, any anecdotes especially about maybe how Tull are perceived these days/general legacy across UK, USA, rest of world?

Also, did I read you worked on remastering Close to the Edge at one point!? Wow :cool: Again, did you meet any band members, and how does that work, they fly over or you come here?

Finally, I know a lot of older classic rock lovers can tend to despise the whole switch over in sound from the '70s to the '80s... do you personally enjoy or rate highly any releases from this era (1980-1989), ie REM's Green, Appetite for Destruction, or maybe something poppier like Rio or Peter Cetera's wildly over produced some may say, Solitude/Solitaire (1985)?

:cheers:

Vinylbeast likes this.
  10. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Steve definitely mastered the album! It was released on SACD under Audio Fidelity.

Yes - Close To The Edge

Rupe33, RobCos02330 and FramboGND like this.
  11. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

Thank you - noted!

12. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

When can we expect the book?
    :D

Bruce Racket, ggjjr and Vinylbeast like this.
  13. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Hmm 1:1 analog safety - sounds like that could be used for a nice vinyl pressing?

Vinylbeast likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

Razor bladed, sorry.

Crosseyed likes this.
  15. Vinylbeast

Vinylbeast But does it sound good?

I played his “Love Will Keep Us..” for someone once and their jaw dropped at how good it sounded!!

snkcube likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

I never met Ian, I spoke to him on the phone about 3 times. Never met any of YES, sadly...

17. Steve Hoffman

That was a 1:1 analog from A&M. Right from the master. Love that song. I added a bit of midrange..

jhm, Rupe33, JeffreyB and 5 others like this.
  19. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

In 2014 The Eagles catalogue was reissued on vinyl from digital files cut by Bernie Grundman. If the tapes were that bad, how could they have have been used again?

JG

20. Steve Hoffman

Rebaked. Can do it countless times, forever, probably. Rebake, master, store, rebake, master, store.

TimeWarper, grx8, BZync and 3 others like this.
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That's some serious emotional recall.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Steve,

Just pulled this one off the shelf, the other day. Hadn't played it a few years, and it sounds great. Sounds like Dave is in the room. How did this mastering session(s) go? Wish you could've issued more Dave stuff.

[​IMG]

Crazysteve likes this.
  23. Matty

Matty Senior Member

You can check out any time you like, but you can't ever leave behind those feelings of anxiety...

sunspot42 and Chazzbo13 like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Very easy to do, fun, actually. Took just a day for both albums.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  25. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Mr. Hoffman, if you ever write a book about your career, I'll be first in line for a preorder. I'd love to hear all the stories.