SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's sad to hear.

2. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

How did you decide on Lassie for your avatar? Is it an analogy of you coming to the rescue of the music?!

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's because as a child, he fell in a well. :p

DrJ, Adam6437, andyinstal and 2 others like this.
  4. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

Steve,
    how did it feel when you had the Buddy Holly tapes in your hands?

ChickenringNYC likes this.
  5. Thanks for previous recommendations for Buddy Holly, Little Richard, & others.

Ike & Tina Turner's catalog is tough for a novice because so many labels were involved. Any Tina Turner and/or Ike & Tina Turner on ceedee recommendation would be appreciated*.

:angel:

* any SHMF posters with ceedee [compilations are preferred] recommendations are all so welcomed.
    Thanks.

Martin Byrne and ChickenringNYC like this.
  6. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

I'm not a fan, but once I finished "Sweet Soul Music", the wonderful book on Southern Soul by Peter Guralnick, I kinda went down a rabbit hole of collecting the many titles he recommends in the appendix to the book.
    I don't know what others will say about this title - audio nirvana or hell, probably just passable - and I haven't played it in years, but one of his two recommendations for Ike & Tina was this:

Ike & Tina Turner - Golden Classics

The other one only came out as an LP, so I'm afraid that's all I have.

EndOfTheRainbow and SinnerSaint like this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

This one:

The Ike & Tina Turner Story: 1960–1975 - Wikipedia

It could be longer (plenty of space left on each disc, and it’s missing some great tracks like “Funkier Than a Mosquito's Tweeter” and the original Phil Spector production of “River Deep - Mountain High”) but it’s easily the best single collection of their music, mastered by Joseph Palmaccio.

8. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'd read only Side 2 is a copy tape, as the master is "lost". Side 1 is a master. Which master? Who knows...

9. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Hi Steve. Was just playing this CD and was wondering if you did the mastering on this one. If not, then who as it sounds great!! It's a 1988 Warner Special Products disc and the only mastering info is "Original Analog Recordings - Digitally Mastered"
    No S##t! :)

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

10. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

If I may ask, what are the 12 songs on this disc?

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Patti Page – Million Seller Hits (1990, CD) - Discogs

This has the entire Golden Hits comp as released in the US except for Why Don't You Believe Me, but it does have some additional tracks.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2023
  12. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Most likely not, but are likely flat transfers of THE masters of these songs.

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

lukpac likes this.
  14. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Sunshine of Your Love
    Magic Carpet Ride
    Psychotic Reaction
    A New Day Yesterday
    You Keep Me Hangin’ On
    Shapes of Things
    We’ll All Right
    I Had Too Much To Dream
    All Tomorrow’s Parties
    Natural Born Woman
    Fresh Air
    I Got A Line on You

uzn007 likes this.
  15. rick harper

rick harper Forum Resident

that's why i will not play bass on stage anymore... little powered "p.a." amps on stands; little guitar amps w/ a thousand stomp boxes...yeah, too loud...regards.

16. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

I had thought that most A&M tapes were at Polygram in New Jersey, other than the Carpenters tapes that Richard mistakenly returned to Universal.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Nope. Stored on the west coast at the time of the fire.

18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

An amazing series got ‘em all not a dud in the bunch! Listening to Speakin’ My Piece now.

19. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Steve any interesting stories to tell about the Donovan Storyteller SACD and 2 LP set on Audio Fidelity? Love that early Donovan stuff and such gorgeous mastering on both formats, a real pleasure to listen to, thank you!

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

It was kind of heartbreaking when Intervention listed their A&M reissues as coming from analogue safeties - it seemed to confirm that the original masters for Gilded Palace of Sin among others got burnt into a crisp. (FWIW, for that particular album, Gavin Lurssen did remaster a 2002 reissue that, according to the liner notes, used the first generation master tape AND was done in 24-bit/96k resolution before dithering down to 16-bit/44.1k, so I'm wondering if a high-resolution digital transfer of the first generation master does survive somewhere.)

Plan9 likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Sony in New York and Castle in the UK helped out. Loved working on the stuff. Atlantis and Hurdy Gurdy Man have the first correct stereo balance in release history.

Gizmo90, Yorick, Dignan2000 and 8 others like this.
  22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

How is that? Don't be afraid to get technical, people here love that. ;)

bmoregnr likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I just balanced them properly, ignoring the meters. When balanced properly, the meters are uneven and lopsided. Would drive someone with OCD crazy.

Balancing by ear is the ticket for stuff like that. Making sure our boy Big D. is right in the middle of the chaos, not off to one side to make the metering even.. Dig?

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You know, there's a good message here. What's good? What sounds good. Sounds good to who? To you.

Following meters, numbers, and some balancing based on other other metrics isn't necessarily the correct solution for you. We shouldn't be afraid of doing something "wrong", if it enhances our enjoyment of the music. :)

EddieT, Hymie the Robot, Ere and 2 others like this.
  25. brucej4

brucej4 Forum Resident

Not to drag this out too far, but...

Supposedly, A&M tapes (all? some? a few?) went to Polygram's NJ tape storage facility after the original buyout.

When Richard Carpenter needed masters for the SACD remix circa 2000-2004, he got those tapes from New Jersey, but mistakenly returned them to LA.

So, did A&M tapes get moved from NJ to LA between 2004 and 2008? Seems unlikely that they would go to the expense of doing that, unless they were closing the facility. However, the Polygram facility in Edison, NJ apparently is still in use.