SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Also Steve, did you end up hearing the 1980s EMI-Manhattan CD of Don McLean's American Pie after you posted that the master tape is very muddy sounding and that I revealed that the 1980s CD sounds just like the original muffled master? Don McLean - American Pie being the Discogs listing

EMI Manhattan CDP 7 46555 2

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    g.z. and Steve Hoffman like this.
  2. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Steve, did you ever emerge yourself into the 'Smile Sessions' boxset?
    Thoughts and opinions overall about it?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

1966-76..

4. BradOlson

Mine too.

DavidD, g.z. and RSteven like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Never did. I like SMILE but only to a point, ya know?

6. Steve Hoffman

I hope not!!

7. Steve Hoffman

Original CD.

minkahed and SinnerSaint like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

9. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Steve, thanks for opening this thread. My biggest audiophile dream is having you remaster the Dusty Springfield catalogue from 1963-1973. As producer of the series, I would suggest:

Vinyl

1: Individual stereo LP's of the 8 UK and 6 US studio albums.
    2: The 8 x LP set The Mono Albums 1964 - 1967, containing the 8 UK/US mono LP's.
    3: The 4 x LP set The Complete A & B Sides 1963 - 1973, containing all the tracks from the 23 UK and 34 US singles combined.
    4: The 2 x LP set The UK EP Collection 1964 - 1968, containing all the tracks from the 6 UK EP's.

All of the LP's are AAA, and cut by Kevin Gray and yourself at Cohearent. Pressed by RTI in the US and Pallas in Germany.

SACD

SACD's of all the albums and collections above done by yourself and Kevin (with a little help from Gus) while cutting the vinyl at Cohearent.

DSD

DSD files from the SACD's sold through Acoustic Sounds etc.

CD

2 x CD Deluxe Editions of her 8 UK albums, containing mono/stereo mixes, along with related singles/EP's and exclusive US/Italy/Germany only tracks.
    The 3 x CD set The Complete Singles & EP's 1963 - 1973.

Hi-Res Downloads

24/192 and 24/96 PCM downloads of the Deluxe Editions offered through HDTracks, Qobuz etc.

... :love:

So that was the dream. Dusty Springfield saved for future generations to discover and enjoy. The harsh reality is a catalogue in complete shambles (save for Kevin's Dusty In Memphis). Digital remixes with alternate vocals have even replaced the original mixes in some cases for more than 20 years now. Just to rub that fact in, I'd like to know if you've ever been offered, or seriously considered remastering her 60's catalogue in particular - whether it be through DCC/AF or other labels? I know you did "Just A Little Lovin'" for an AF comp, but that's the only track of hers I can find that you've mastered.

On the bright side, one would think that licensing her stuff wouldn't be as expensive and problematic as say the Beatles, Bowie or the Stones, but from your experience with Universal in particular, do you think there is any hope for her catalogue within the next 10 or 20 years, and would you under the right circumstances be willing to give it the sonic overhaul it needs? As a side question - have you heard the master tapes for any of the early UK albums?

Sorry for getting a bit carried away here. Any thoughts on the issue of Dusty would be much appreciated.

art and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Steve, are you at liberty to say why the Slim Whitman 'weird songs' project was cancelled?
    That would have been great!

11. BradOlson

Steve, in other words, is the 1980s EMI CD of American Pie your favorite release in the digital world since it has the muffled sound of the LP or have you heard the later remasters of it?

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  12. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Ditto!

g.z. likes this.
  13. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

[​IMG]Buddy Holly’s “From The Original Master Tapes” CD is brilliant - what a joy to listen to it .

What’s your favorite John Lennon CD issues?

Cheers.

DavidD and RSteven like this.
  14. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Your mastering of The Ventures Christmas Album is the best. Do you consider yourself a Ventures fan and if so, do you have a favorite LP by them (other than the Christmas Album)?

mmars982 and RSteven like this.
  15. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

What I meant to say was, what is your favorite amp—-one that delivers great sound and exemplifies your credo that you don’t need to spend a mint to get that sound. Something, say, in the less than $5000 range? Or certainly less if it’s older/used. Frankly, some of your favorites would be enough recommendation for me.

16. ramonesfan

ramonesfan Forum Resident

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer all these questions! Wonderful thread!

Is there any (realistic) chance your mastering of “It's Alive” by the Ramones will ever be released on CD? Who would we have to lobby to make that happen?

17. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Concerning Bob Dylan's Street-Legal. What are your thoughts on the various attempts to salvage something out of those tapes? Will it always be hamstrung by the damp cardboard-ness of the original recording?

18. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

Steve,

If you knew you were going to be stuck on a deserted island and had to pick three albums of any format to be stuck with, which three albums would you pick?

Assume you have the AV system to play the chosen formats as well as electricity, a proper listening room, and your favorite beverage.

CBackley, Bern and RSteven like this.
  19. van1

van1 Forum Resident

Where can I sign up for this desert island? Can you also throw in occasional female company :)

BDC likes this.
  20. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I swear, I just happen to be watching that movie right now. Some poor sod was just squashed by a giant wooden rabbit.

vonwegen likes this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

[​IMG]

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I remember cutting out an article on Mark Spitz after the Summer Olympics in 1972. Man that guy was about the biggest star on the planet at the time. My social studies teacher in jr. high school had gone to those Olympics and met him and brought back pictures of the two of them together. A strong memory with everything else that took place during that tragic time.

vonwegen, Tuco and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. Rick Bartlett

Yep, Lake Wendouree!
    (I wish)

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  24. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

First three. Would by far be my preference.

25. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Yeah but then George will be in the wrong channel on Savoy Truffle. Is it ok if I just flip my headphones around when I play Getz/Gilberto? Or maybe I could just turn my back to the speakers? Decisions decisions...

Tuco likes this.