SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I just saw this thread, and, loving it!

Steve, I'm guessing you had fun mastering bluegrass, like the wonderful Rural Rhythm releases (love the Red Smiley and Don Reno stuff) and the Kentucky Colonels "Appalachian Swing!" What bluegrass albums or artists would you love to tackle?

Also, what's your favorite Stravinsky "Firebird" digital performance/release?

McLover likes this.
  2. Embracetheday

Embracetheday Forum Resident

Thanks, is this one identified anywhere on the tray card or cover as being OJC or is it the common Fantasy CD? I’ve searched OJC and Original Jazz Classics and haven’t had any luck.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

What are we talking about?

4. Steve Hoffman

Oh, I'd love to do the complete catalogs of Foggy Mtn. Boys, Stanley Bros., Bill Monroe, etc. Everyone. I just love the music. Fortunately, there are great CD's out there for most of this stuff already.

FIREBIRD? Hmm, I have the early Telarc CD. I usually play vinyl for that. Bernstein, something like that.

waaguirr, art, uzn007 and 2 others like this.
  5. Embracetheday

The Charlie Brown Christmas CD—you recommended the “old OJC CD from the 80’s” as second best in sound to your half speed master (since it isn’t easily attainable).

6. Steve Hoffman

Did you look on eBay?

7. Embracetheday

I did, but couldn’t find anything listed in the description or item titles as OJC or Original Jazz Classics.

I did find a couple of what would appear to be 80s Fantasy CDs (just the standard white cover) but didn’t see anything on the packaging identifying it as OJC.

Wasn’t sure if the one you’re referring to would be specifically labeled.

8. Steve Hoffman

Doesn't say OJC. Old Fantasy CD. Has two pointless bonus tracks. Should be like 3 dollars.

Embracetheday likes this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Yes indeed, this is the one to have on a budget.

McLover and Embracetheday like this.
  10. Embracetheday

Thanks! I think I’ve found it then. Until I track down your 45 rpm...

11. Jerry

I like the Telarc Firebird by Robert Shaw and the Atlanta S.O. I have the vinyl, CD and SACD. If you're so inclined, try the SACD of Dorati's London S.O. on Mercury Living Presence. Recorded in 1959. Stunning.

McLover likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Yeah, that's the Telarc I have. Early CD version. I have the Dorati on LP. Is the SACD still in print? Can't be, can it?

rem 600 likes this.
  13. BradOlson

14. Jerry

Great dynamics on that Telarc!

I don't think the Dorati SACD is in print, but I believe it got an audiophile vinyl treatment a couple of years back.

15. BradOlson

The regular stock CD of the Dorati Firebird is also out of print.

Jerry likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

That Telarc CD I got back in, hmmm, 1983 when I first bought some disks for research. At that time it was the ONLY Firebird on CD. A long time ago!

fluffskul, Tuco and Jerry like this.
  17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I suppose on some level Rhino fills that niche for WEA, with the AAA vinyl reissues cut by Gray, Grundman, Bellman, etc.

18. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Any reflections on the DCC Badfinger CDs?

19. Steve Hoffman

I enjoyed them, always loved that second album. No, third album.

Jet Age Eric and g.z. like this.
  20. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

21. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: I always have loved it also.

22. BradOlson

JayNYC likes this.
  23. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Steve, my father has about 100 home recorded 10" lacquer discs of late 1940's big band airchecks. He wants to transfer them into his hard drive but they are now so old that when he tried to play a few of them the nitrocellulose laminate cracked and totally separated from the aluminum disc in several spots essentially ruining them. He doesn't want to ruin any more discs so he stopped at that point.

Do you have any tips or suggestions on how to play these discs without destroying them? He uses a 1950s Garrard turntable with an Astatic 414 cartridge. No trouble playing any other vintage discs (78s, cardboard Hit Of The Week or 16" radio transcriptions) with this cartridge. He also tried to play one of these discs on a modern turntable (not sure which) and the same thing happened.

He's pretty depressed about this. I'm assuming that it's already too late and he should've done this years ago. Thanks in advance for your time.

alchemy likes this.
  24. Scott Strobel

Scott Strobel Forum Resident

Hey Steve,

I recently found an old MCA cassette tape of Three Dog Night's Greatest Hits compiled by you.
    Did that ever make it to compact disc? Do you have any memories of doing that comp? Insight's on the session...?

25. hamishd91

hamishd91 Forum Resident

Hey Steve, when you mastered Stadium Arcadium by the RHCP, did you deal with the band directly or their label? I seem to remember John Frusciante was the one that put your name forward.

andrewskyDE likes this.