SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

An easier option...grab the old Bread Anthology cd, mastered by former forum member Barry Diament. It can be had on the cheap and it sounds warm and dynamic.

southamorican, Dave and Jack_Straw like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Okay, I see. Very common. If not in recording or mixing, then added in mastering. Almost every record ever cut in those days. Remember the three band EQ of that time was: bass 100 cycles, midrange 1k, treble 5k. That was it!

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It sounds ok. But at least a couple of songs are cut prematurely (in the middle of an extended fade). At least on the first issue.

4. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Looks like you survived the Woolsey Fire.
    As you know my wife is a letter carrier for your neighborhood.
    She was delivering mail with her filtering mask on in shock witnessing the damage.
    A home untouched next to a home completely destroyed. I think over 20 houses gone and over 70 damaged.

I told my wife if it happens to us grab the ‘60 Hummingbird, the Les Paul, the Lowden and the old clunky pre-CBS Jazzmaster ... oh and if she has time pictures and family videos.
    She looked at me and sadly shook her head muttering,”idiot”.
    I was joking ... but

Trying to imagine you deciding what to take.
    Family keepsakes are most important and the rest is of course just stuff but those guitars are kind of like family.
    I’ve seen some of your guitars in pictures you’ve posted and I’m guessing there is at least one you couldn’t leave behind.
    Happy you escaped the heartache.
    Tough times here in the Golden State.

5. Steve Hoffman

It was close. If you saw my Facebook photos it was just across the road from our back yard. Just dreadful. Thanks for asking.

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks!
    It is a silly question. As for the bump, for instance, on the Ella album, is it so recognizable on hearing the tape or was there a sort of note on the tape box or something?

7. Steve Hoffman

You hear it on her voice track. Once heard cannot be unheard.

And it’s usually in the mastering notes.

Tommyboy, Spaceboy and yasujiro like this.
  8. jrice

jrice Senior Member

1 p**** could be an accident, but 2? Lol

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m curious, now. Do you really which songs those are? I’ll check my cd

10. Michael Chavez

Michael Chavez Forum Resident

Sorry to interrupt, but how can I get to your facebook? I'd like to see your photos very much
    There's a LOT of Steve Hoffmans out there and the link under your profile doesn't seem to want to take me there
    Glad you and yours made it OK, must have been scary
    Terrible thing, hard to imagine

11. Steve Hoffman

There was a third, actually. Tom Snyder. Such is life.

RAY DAVIES is a GOD.

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No it has been a very long time since I listened. This was the first issue of that title. And it wasn't hideous. But if you compared with other versions it was clear.

13. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I guess hanging around restrooms does pay off. Too bad there were no I-Phones back then. Ya know, for posterity. Not creepy at all!

2trackmind likes this.
  14. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

In one of your early posts here you mentioned working in radio and having or getting your FCC license.

So how much did having a background in electronics help you going forward in the sound field?

I remember studying for my FCC in the 80s and loved the tube theory! Understanding GLB what such a huge lightbulb moment for me. It led me to grasp and understand so many things going forward...

15. Steve Hoffman

I don't have a background in electronics. Where did you get that?

I got my FCC license which enabled me to get work in broadcast engineering, which enabled me to learn stuff by watching and doing.

showtaper likes this.
  16. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

In order to pass the FCC test you would at least have to have a general understanding of electronics.

I thought you then applied that when working at the radio stations.

17. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

3rd phone
    not much
    had one (omg) 50 years ago
    maybe different now

18. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

I took the test for first class radio telephone and it was steep in electronic theory. At the time 1983 a first class license was required to run a radio station and to work on the transmitter.
    It was fun work back when you could get your hands into it and it wasn't all phase lock loop.

19. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I got an FCC license in 1981, when I was 17. There was no test, I just mailed some form to the government. It was also free, iirc.

mtvgeneration and Tommyboy like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Same with me. Got mine in 1986.

21. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

There are a lot of different FCC licences. Many require tests, some do not. What you are authorized to do with those licenses is very different. Just within the Amateur Radio (HAM) licensing system there are three different licenses.

22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That does make sense...

When I was in high school, I used to hang out at the university's radio station, sometimes going on the air and spinning. Finally, the program director insisted that I get a license from the FCC or else they could get in trouble. I still have it stashed away somewhere, it's just a simple piece of cardboard folded in half.

Subvet likes this.
  23. 300man

300man Well-Known Member

Yes the Commercial First Class FCC radio telephone license was the top Technical license. It was required by Federal Law to be a Chief Engineer of a radio broadcast station. It was also a requirement to be able to set the output power and adjust the frequency on the main transmitter.

It was a 100 question 8 hour time limit test you had to pass with a 75 or better. Only given at a designated Federal test facility. I took mine at Varick St. in Manhattan. Soon after the FCC dropped some of the requirements and changed the name to a General Class commercial Radio telephone license.

So when in a earlier post Mr Hoffman said he got his FCC license. That enabled him to get into Broadcast Engineering. I thought he had the same FCC license that i obtained.

I think I have said enough on the subject and DO NOT want to derail this thread.

mtvgeneration and Subvet like this.
  24. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Daryl Hall & John Oates - Greatest Hits - Rock 'N Soul Part 1
    I recently bought this CD version of Hall and Oates’ Rock N Soul - imo it sounds great

Ale200 likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be enigmatic, I got my license in high school. My only background was Electric Shop.