SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Dok

Dok Senior Member

How different are the DCC and AP versions of Bayou Country? Significant or minimal? Apologies if this has been asked before.

2. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Steve, do you have any room treatment at home?

3. Ale200

Ale200 Forum Resident

Yes, I bought those two comps and at least according to Discogs, you mastered them, the first 0.20 or 0.30 seconds of those two songs were cut off, maybe there was a problem with the tapes you received

Jaime1972 likes this.
  4. Jaime1972

Jaime1972 Well-Known Member

Steve, I have two questions
    1: Have you ever mastered a digitally recorded album or song? Or do you only work with analog recordings? If the case is the first, which digitally recorded album/song did you master?
    2: Which album was the easiest for you to find the original master tapes on DCC/Audio Fidelity?

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Regarding #1, I know he mastered Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required", which was a digital recording. I know there are threads about mastering that album on this forum.

mtvgeneration likes this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Other than a throw rug or two, no.

7. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

HA! Same as me, a 12x12 rug!

8. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Ties the room together as well. :D

9. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yeah, me neither.

10. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Not mastered at Capitol. (Capitol did not have half-speed capability.) Mastered at, IIRC, Masterfonics in Nashville from tape dubs made by long-time Capitol staffer Jay Ranellucci, at least for the Sinatra set. I can't speak to details of the Ella set. The Sinatra set sounds very nice overall, arguably the best source for some of the songs. There is a pronounced defect on One for My Baby, though.

Tommyboy and teag like this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Someone had to say it.

stereoptic likes this.
  12. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

Thanks for this. Very interesting and informative, "arguably the best source for some of the songs" a whole lot better than I was expecting.
    I still have not got around to cleaning it yet. Which will most likely happen sometime late january.... Since it's christmas now and then I'm off to Thailand for a couple of weeks on the 2nd.
    According to the seller, he purchased it still sealed and only played it once. So it should sound pretty good.
    One of the issues with half-speed mastering is the sound is a bit "off" or wierd. The half speed Blood on the Tracks is like that, plus some others. If I understand it then, this one does not suffer from the slightly wonky sound problem?
    The Ella set arrive last week too, it will get cleaned at the same time. What I like about the Ella set is it's all Decca era stuff, right before she switched to Verve. An underrepresented period in my collection.
    There is a nice German LP though of all the Decca era stuff Ella and Louis did together. 1949 - 1952. This sounds great IMO.

13. James_S888

Do you remember where the defect on One for my Baby is?
    When I do finally play the set :)
    I am starting to think this may become one of the more played sets, next to the Japanese compilation, "The Hit Maker"

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

15. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans "Know What I Mean?" -- AP SACD vs. DCC Gold CD

Perhaps this is my answer. :wave: Sorry Steve, shouldn't have asked what may have been perceived as a bit of a loaded question. Didn't mean it that way. I've recently been looking to fill out and possibly upgrade my CCR collection and already had the DCC from years back. Paid $10 for a sealed copy in '95 from a shop that was going out of business. I was also able to pick up copies of Seger's Night Moves and Ronstadt's Greatest Hits that you had remastered for $10 each as well.

16. Steve Hoffman

A good deal!

Dok and George P like this.
  17. Anything in particular that the industry has fedback good or bad about (being influenced by) this forum?

g.z. likes this.
  18. James_S888

Heres one for you. 45 rpm singles.
    I have been playing some of the 7" 45 rpm singles I've accumulated, more by whim than design over the last few weeks and I am amazed at how good some of them sound. Much better than the album cuts.
    Some are not so good, but a few I've really liked have been for example:
    Down in Mexico / Little Egypt, the coasters - the reissue/re-recorded later version
    Some James Brown stuff, Out of sight, etc.
    Rolling Stones, Honky Tonk Women, Shattered, Brown Sugar
    Annette funicello and the beach boys, The Monkey Uncle. Although on this one, it's not the beach boys playing, it's the wrecking crew. Tommy Tedesco on guitar and Hal Blaine on drums - a real standout.
    Muddy Waters, Short dress woman, The same thing/you can't lose what you ain't never had - these old chess 45's are great!

So why do these 45s sound so good?
    Is it becuase they were done direct from the master?
    Was it mastering choices?

g.z. likes this.
  19. James_S888

What I am noticing is for some reason the Atlantic 45's sound pretty much uniformly great. So good I've taken a punt and ordered Led Zepps Immigrant Song on 45 7" single on Discogs
    Any reason for hte Atlantic stuff to sound so good?
    Or am I being fooled by boosted level and treble?

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

B.

21. Steve Hoffman

45's are usually cut in a robust manner, with huge volume, no frequency cutting and nice, wide grooves. In the old days the LP version of a song, even if cut from the same tape will sound weaker. Take one example: PAINT IT BLACK, the London 45 vs. the mono London Aftermath. The 45 sounds so much better, more bass, better balance of tonality. Just easier to cut.

22. Steve Hoffman

Most of the industry hates this place. Our people notice things that the normal people of the world do not. Our people notice things like accuracy in tone, brickwalling, etc. Not loved but we keep them on their toes.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Maybe they should start bleeding listening.

24. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Cool with me.:thumbsup:

George P likes this.
  25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Maybe they should listen a little harder.