SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Was hoping you’d pick my beloved MC402.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Nooo..

CBackley likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

None. But I was told he liked the DCC originally. He said it was "warm and sympathetic to the music."

4. Steve Hoffman

Only once, Brother Ray. Others are usually a hindrance.

BradB, goodiesguy, hiterss and 17 others like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

She needs to be on the left, spiritually. Reverse your interconnects immediately!

FashionBoy, billnunan, 9 Volt and 4 others like this.
  6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

That would be a great way to go broke.

tmtomh and Spaceboy like this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

A pain in the butt, actually. Many songs were three channel remixes done by Bill Inglot. This gave the project a bit more dynamic range than Bill Porter's Squash-O-Mixes.

8. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply! That's pretty fascinating, especially considering how good it sounds. This is my go-to album for The Big O, there's a warmth and smoothness to these songs I've never really heard on any other Orbison release! Any of these songs you're particularly proud of, you know, the way they turned out to sound after all the effort?

9. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

You forgot the trademark

Squash-O-Mixes(TM)

Love it!

vonwegen and Steve Hoffman like this.
  10. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Is that so? I think Bill Inglot is credited as mastering engineer (I have the cd, just not at hand). But in fact it was you who mastered it? I seem to recall that the channels are reversed for You are my sunshine (campared to the Uh Huh compilation). Which one is correct?

SOONERFAN likes this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

They all sound good to me, as my buddy, the late Bill Porter gave me exact instructions on what HE was going for in the studio. I followed what he said so well that he used to use my DCC version of ROY in his engineering classes as to can be done with good mastering. I was very pleased.

12. Steve Hoffman

You Are My Sunshine is on it? That's the second album, isn't it? Maybe Bill redid it. Mine would have a P date of 1988.

The version on Uh-Huh is correct.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  13. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

Do you know why some 60's era Rolling Stones songs have never been issued in stereo and why they never go back and do remixes for any of their compilations?

14. Steve Hoffman

I do not know. The first bunch was mono only, some of the RCA stuff was three and four track but it is unclear to me if those ended up at Decca, UK or stayed at RCA in LA.

vonwegen, tdavis0903 and Jarleboy like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

I'm surprised this thread is getting so many responses. Keep them coming! Glad to read what you have to say and answer your questions (if I can).

DLeet, Mowgli, dav-here and 34 others like this.
  16. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Not my actual question (have to think something first) but how long will this thread be open for the questions and stuff?

17. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

That's great to know, and such an honour! Bill Porter certainly worked magic in those early days of great stereo, so it's wonderful to read that he really appreciated your work on his recordings too. Are there any noticeable differences between the DCC and the S&P? I read something about Pretty Woman being a different mix or take?

RSteven likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Yes, but both are very nice, I play them interchangeably. There are differences as to what was a stereo mix and what was a three to two remix but I can't remember anymore what was what.

I do remember that UPTOWN used Bill's remix in both versions as the original seemed to be toast.

RSteven and DBMartin like this.
  19. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Hi Steve, what did you think of the 2017 archival release, "Yardbirds '68"?

20. Steve Hoffman

Have not heard it, sorry.

21. DBMartin

DBMartin Forum Resident

Interesting, I have the S&P to play at home, but I'd love to have the DCC for my listening time on the train... Seems like you just can't find them at a good price anymore though, such a shame... Anyway, thanks for these wonderful Orbison releases Steve! I just can't get enough of his glorious music, especially when it sounds this good!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  22. MartinR

MartinR Forum Resident

Yes, there are a few tracks from the second album as bonus tracks (even though they are not credited as such). The CD I have has the catalog number R2 70099 with release year 1988. Bill Ingot and Ken Perry are credited as mastering engineers. Do you know the catalog number for the CD that you mastered?

SOONERFAN likes this.
  23. If you mean the SHM SACD, it is.

vonwegen, Jet Age Eric and Plan9 like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

No, not any more, sorry. The one you have was possibly mastered before the actual tape for YOU ARE MY SUNSHINE was uncovered in a mismarked box...

25. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

Jet Age Eric likes this.