SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Thanks. And that is because is the album you like the most? Or needs particulary remastering? Any other reason?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I just love that song to death. And it needs engineering work.

Rob Hughes and Aleksander86 like this.
  3. Aleksander86

Aleksander86 Forum Resident

Thanks. That's a great song and a very interesting album.

4. Steve Hoffman

Clapton. I like his style. The other two are amazing, but they are all over the place.

5. Steve Hoffman

You’re just asking me what my favorite country artist is! Too many to name!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  6. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

This thread is awesome, like a fast-moving digital press conference with someone you're actually interested in hearing talk.

7. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I wonder if you might expand upon this a bit:

Are the legal problems about rights-clearance or about something else?
    Is the expense related to licensing fees or something else?

Thanks! And a very sincere thanks, as ever, for hosting, RH

George P likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Physical media is vanishing. The record companies see $ in streaming. They charge too much for "outsiders" to license and make any kind of a profit.

9. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Hi Steve. I have a question regarding the Bad Company S/T AF gold CD you mastered a while back. In an older thread, you mentioned a song was damaged, so you had to remix 20 seconds of it from the multi-track and splice it in. Which song was it or will it remain top secret? :shh:

nick99nack likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Ah, I mentioned that, eh? I'll never tell which song but try and guess. Thing is, I could have remixed the entire album with an extra song that didn't make it to the final version. I didn't because, one, it would have cost a lot, two, I didn't think my attempts were worthy of a Gold CD.

At any rate, can't tell you which one but if you guess, I'll confirm..

snkcube likes this.
  11. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

Dans Super Sub

GLUDFSSR and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Plain cheese pizza, usually. Any sub like food would send us to sleep after lunch (on the floor of the studio.) Can't have that, costs too much money..

uzn007, Rick Bartlett and snkcube like this.
  13. Marc Daniel

Marc Daniel Forum Resident

I did a lot of work for Michelle years ago. Built her a kitchen. I spent a lot of time with her in her home.
    One of my favorite people.
    I hope you got to hear some of the stories she told me. What a life she is living.

vonwegen, supermd, BeSteVenn and 4 others like this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

My question - is what is the best way to get a great sounding CD version of...

In The Mood by Glenn Miller Orchestra
    Tequila by The Champs

15. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I purchased the DCC remaster of Ram whenever it was released. It's my go-to version when I want to listen to it. I usually don't identify whatsoever with either the NRA or Charlton Heston ( whoever came up with the quote) but you'd have to pry my DCC Ram from my cold, dead hand.

john lennonist and Tommyboy like this.
  16. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

"Tequila" by The Champs appears on a Hoffman-mastered CD called Yo Quiero Music!
    Yo Quiero Music - Various Artists | Credits | AllMusic

I'm not sure whether that would be the "best way"; I defer to the man who remastered it to comment further. :)

For "In The Mood," I don't have a recommendation. (I only have that performance on a sampler: RCA Victor 80th Anniversary - The First Label In Jazz - Vol.2 1930-1939 . The credits for that Sampler CD say the "Reissue Engineer" was Jochen Hinsch. I have no idea how that mastering of that music compares to other masterings available on other CDs...)

uzn007 and raphph like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Out of luck..

McLover and All Down The Line like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

:laugh:

19. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

As a casual music player, what I really don't like about streaming and most modern digital media is you simply cannot, cannot crank it. Cranked up loud it sounds unbearably harsh, metallic and nerve shredding. You can't play this stuff loud.
    Not that it seems to matter in the least.

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Depends on the release. There are plenty of modern reissues without that problem.

21. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

john lennonist likes this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In The Mood/Glenn Miller Orchestra- CD versions are all as a rule not great sounding. They all suffer from varying degrees of too much filtering, and noise reduction abuse. 78 RPM US original RCA/Bluebird on a good setup never bettered, the definitive version with the sound quality intended.

23. jatticus

jatticus i swear im not emo

What is the strangest thing in your collection?

g.z. and uzn007 like this.
  24. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

That's exactly my problem with streaming. Nobody cares about using decent sources with good mastering.

25. I don't think the problem is specifically with streaming. For example, for the original 1970ies Black Sabbath albums, most streaming services now seem to use Andy Pearce's 2012 remasters. Those aren't compressed, but bright-sounding - most of them awfully so, a few of them less awfully but still notably bright. Anyway, those remasters were originally created and used not for streaming services, but for vinyl, and have subsequently been used for most reissues of those albums on CD, HDtracks, and vinyl, as well as for streaming. Thus, buying the 2016 WB/Rhino CD of any of those Sabbath albums would offer zero improvement over screaming versions in terms of mastering, since the mastering is exactly the same.

I believe the current vinyl hype, involving many people who believe that even digital-sourced vinyl - no matter which mastering it uses - is somehow preferable over any other media, does contribute to the problem. And there are more than enough people even on this forum who buy a CD or box set not because they know anything about how it is mastered, but because it is inexpensive and/or because of its fancy artwork or extras.

art likes this.