SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Grateful Ed

Grateful Ed Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman What's the deal with the tape for "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight"? On the 2003 and the MFSL stereo remasters of John Wesley Harding there is a fair amount of tape hiss and some other weird stuff going on during that track. The version on your Greatest Hits, Vol. II disc sounds much better. Not only in EQ, but in lack of tape noise/artifacts. Does that stuff exist on the master, and did you seek out a nice copy tape that had less wear? Something else? Either way, you did a wonderful job. It's one of my favorite discs.

I love those non-album tracks: You Ain't Goin' Nowhere, When I Paint My Masterpiece, I Shall Be Released... Some of my all time favorite Dylan songs.

Does the original CD release of John Wesley Harding have the same issues? I've never heard that version.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The AF GHII uses the original JWH CD as a source, which was remixed. Details here:

I pulled out my old Columbia CD of Dylan's JOHN WESLEY HARDING just to be sure....

3. Grateful Ed

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    C6H12O6 likes this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That said, the original mix can be found in the same high quality on the Biograph and GHII remasters.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  5. Grateful Ed

So the original mix in "full fidelity" can be found on the above CDs, but the dubbed / limited / compressed LP master (of the original mix) is what was used for the 2003 and MFSL stereo releases? Very bizarre that the full fidelity versions were used as recently as 1999 but the 2003 SACD uses the LP master. I think I prefer the mono mix for this album anyway, so I'll save myself a headache seeking out a "definitive" stereo version.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. Along with All Along The Watchtower (GHII) and Dear Landlord (Biograph).

Whether those who worked on the 2003 and MFSL releases were not aware of the "full fidelity" tape(s) or if the LP master was used for a specific reason is unclear.

Grateful Ed likes this.
  7. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Wildflowers.

8. Grateful Ed

I just realized re-reading some of the thread you linked above how recently everyone was discussing this. I totally missed it. Funny coincidence that I just happened to notice something up with “I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight” within the last week. Thanks again for all the info!

9. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

I’m real interested in Steve’s take on 5.1 mixes. But for me on my system the Doors Greatest Hits Quadra mix is Superb.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Mastering Engineer Your Host Thread Starter

I don't have a surround system. I like the old Quad mixes from the 1970s. They are neat.