I’m certain the snare drum I bought was owned by Peter Erskine. How do I go about verifying that?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by gavynnnnn, Dec 16, 2022.

1. Jim Hodgson

Jim Hodgson Galvanically Isolated in Greenpoint

I understand the consensus instinct, here: “go directly to the source.” But, I’d be willing to bet @gavynnnnn ’s mystery snare drum that, even if someone could get this question in front of Peter Erskine, chances are incredibly high that he would have no idea. (Meanwhile, if someone gets the opportunity to go 20-questions with Erskine, maybe ask him about playing with Jaco or something? :whistle:)

Peter Erskine was a Yamaha endorser for decades. Considering how active he was in the ’80s, ’90s, and early-’00s—how much touring he did, how many clinics he gave, the number of video and television performances he was involved in—Yamaha would have been supplying equipment to him, either directly or through local distributors, all over the world. He must have played and been photographed with hundreds of unique drums during his ~25-year relationship with Yamaha. The chances that he’d remember this particular drum?

All that said, serial number “10” (if I read that correctly) stands out in an impressive way. It’s not just absurdly low—it actually violates the date-coding convention that Yamaha has used in drum serial numbering since 1980 (as @Shawn shared). “10” would signal to me that this particular SD was not part of a regular production run—or at least not destined for the commercial market. And if I’m correct, that’s the most interesting piece of evidence you’ve got—and the one you could actually take to Yamaha corporate (along with that weird model suffix, “RG,” which I don’t recognize).

Failing all that, there’s a member at drumforum.org, “drumnhands,” who’s a production manager at Yamaha. You could always reach out to him as well.

Maybe the most interesting question of all. I’m sure @gavynnnnn has his own reasons, but the issue obviously transcends this single red drum. It also goes beyond—maybe way beyond—the sphere of regular shelf-bound collectibles. I mean, I doubt you’d go out and have a catch with a baseball autographed by Hank Aaron, right? But, no doubt @gavynnnnn is home right now playing along with “The Chicken”* :uhhuh:

There’s a particular fairy tale that surrounds tools handed down by masters. And while using those tools won’t automatically make anyone a better practitioner of the craft, at the same time, they do seem to foster a sense of connectedness to it. I think it’s that connectedness that’s being sought—and felt. And even if those feelings aren’t completely tethered to reality, it’s best if they’re not demonstrably false. Hence, the need to have a proof, as you say.

Now, if you’d like to get a little more realistic about this, there’s every chance I’d start feeling foolish about it in no time. My only defense would be that I called it a fairy tale up front. And I like fairy tales, I guess. I also like hanging out with fellow drummers, whose belief in the power of magical gear to elevate their playing can approach the supernatural. Which must be why I have more friends than my wife would prefer dropping by our place at odd hours to play a beat-up set of black Yamaha Recording Customs. (“Careful, bro … those are Steve Gadd’s, and I think he wants ’em back at some point.”)

________

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Old Zorki II, Bill Hart and Shawn like this.
  2. Or, is the 10 really IO (the letters I and O), giving the date stamp?

gavynnnnn and Jim Hodgson like this.
  3. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

@Jim Hodgson -provenance adds to value. And there is a cool factor. I get it. Whether it is worth it in this instance is really up to the OP in my estimation.
    I agree that unless the guy wrote down the serial number in his secret book how many decades ago, he likely doesn't have a clue. And if he was, as you say, an endorser of the brand, the chances are even less likely that the original owner would know. But I know jack about drums. Other stuff where provenance is important- yes.

Jim Hodgson likes this.
  4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Steve Maxwell sold Erskine's Steely Dan touring kit from 1993, in his NYC shop. He also has a shop in Chicago. Steve's a pretty nice guy, and maybe he could help you get in touch with Peter.

Maxwell's has sold drums and cymbals owned by Elvin Jones, Carl Palmer, Joe Morello, and many other notable drummers. Steve and some of his employees are among the most knowledgeable people when it comes to vintage drums.

5. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Good idea. I've bought from Steve. He's a good guy.

The only "famous drummer" drum I have is a 70s engraved Black Beauty that once belonged to Joe Morello. I know that, because I personally bought it from him. The only other that might be from a known guy is an LA Camco snare suspected from being in Dony Wynn's stash, but I never looked it up.

Dan

Jim Hodgson likes this.
  6. gavynnnnn

gavynnnnn Forum Resident Thread Starter

Also, the
    its this. The date stamp is March 1982. With that said, it’s not extremely important as much as it is something I’m super curious about lol

7. So then there’s no serial #? Another piece of the puzzle to solve! Could imply a promotional snare (so, given to endorsers) or perhaps a prototype? Not sure how Yamaha did such things in that era.

8. Jim Hodgson

Jim Hodgson Galvanically Isolated in Greenpoint

That was at the heart of my suggestion, too. But, no—turns out Yamaha simply flaked on lots of serials in the early-’80s.

And that, in turn, surely hinges on how highly the OP regards Peter Erskine. Let’s look at the evidence.

An unrivaled gentleman (with perhaps a touch of OCD) . . .
    [​IMG]

. . . who’s deeply admired for his ability to swing challenging tunes (like John Abercrombie’s “Furs on Ice”):

And if that Hot Red 5-1/2 x 14 turns out not to have the provenance it should … well … who can know what’s truly in a man’s heart?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2022
    Bill Hart, Dave and Shawn like this.
  9. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

What place includes records of items with their Model and Serial Numbers? An insurance company. If insured during his ownership, that could be a rabbit hole to pursue (though insuring something that takes a beating?). Good luck with that. ;)

Doug

Bill Hart likes this.
  10. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I am not sure I am buying it. Just because an instrument used to belong to a famous (in this case famous in some small circles) musician it probably would not help new owner. Just like pen owned by Gates would not make me billionaire or brush owned by Van Gogh would not make a great artist. If I want to believe that it is a case - why do I need a special confirmation? And if it does not - how confirmation will help? A lot of very expensive cellos and violins being played by great professional musicians - and yet their value hardly correlated to their names.
    Hank Aaron signed baseballs are very valuable, much more so than regular MLB balls. But it is true for a drum? I am sure that the set owned by Ringo Star in 1965 is immensely valuable and one surely would go any length to prove that it is true Ringo Star set. Despite Erskine probably being far superior drummer. )) But will people then play on such valuable set?

11. gavynnnnn

I mainly want to know what I have on my hands. If it’s genuine, it’s probably sellable for a lot of money lol. I want the monetary value.

12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Ersikine's a hell of a drummer, but I don't know how much his name will add value to your drum. If it was Buddy Rich, Elvin, Max Roach, Gene Krupa, Tony Williams...maybe. Or obviously Ringo, Charlie Watts, Ginger Baker, Phil Collins (?), Neil Peart, certainly. I'm not really up on all that. I know the Erskine Steely Dan kit went for pretty good money, but it was a whole kit, and I think it was consigned by Peter himself.

I had a Turkish K. Zildjian cymbal owned by Idris Muhammad for a while. It was a 20" and cost me $750. It was signed "Idris" on the underside of the bell. It was medium/heavy, and all the cymbals his son was unloading at the time were that general weight and pretty dry-sounding (Idris must have liked some meat on his cymbals). I ended up trading it to someone for two older K.'s that had a more useable sound for me. I sort of wish I'd kept it, and scrounged up the money for those other K.'s.

nosticker likes this.
  13. In addition to being able to prove beyond a doubt that it was his drum you’d only be able to determine any additional value by knowing what, if any, recordings or tours he used it on. If it sat in his closet for a couple years and he sold it, his ownership would have very little impact to the value.

eddiel likes this.
  14. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

It will add value, for sure, but not a ton. I see plenty of "name drummer"- owned things not go for big bucks, sadly. Again, Steve Maxwell is the way to go here.

I have a friend who bought some Paiste cymbals formerly owned by Danny Gottlieb.....and he used them so much that Danny's signature is all but gone!

I've never had my Joe Morello drum appraised, but even a 70s engraved BB by itself is quite coveted. I highly doubt I would sell it, even for the right price, as Joe was a teacher and friend and I'd probably have to be down to my last dollar.

Dan

misteranderson and Shawn like this.
  15. gavynnnnn

If it’s his, there’s pictures of him in a newspaper/article using it. He used it.

16. Or, Yamaha gave him a couple, one for the stage, one for the studio… who knows.

17. gavynnnnn

It’s again, not a common color for the line so I doubt that.

18. I’m just mentioning it as these are the types of questions you’ll receive if you sell this as previously owned by him. Anyone interested enough due to the connection will want to know what he used it for, how long he owned it, etc.

19. gavynnnnn

I completely understand, and that’s the hard part.

Shawn likes this.
  20. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

Actually, if it is the car I'm thinking of, it was owned by John Voight.

Shawn and Jim Hodgson like this.
  21. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

That snare is listed in the 1982 Yamaha drum catalog, page 7. I note that Peter Erskine is wearing the same shirt in the 1982 catalog as is shown in the 1986 catalog - same as is in Jim's post above. Either it is a file photo, or he really likes that shirt and hasn't aged a day. He is not playing the Hot Red in the photo (page 36, second link shows it best), my guess is the Cherry Wood.

http://www.drumarchive.com/yamaha/Yamaha1982.pdf

http://www.drumarchive.com/yamaha/Yamaha1986.pdf

Given that the snare was available to anyone with a few yen in their pocket in 1982, the color and size and photos are scant evidence that your drum was owned by Peter. Still, it is very possible. I would think, however, that if your drum had that kind of provenance, the proof would have been made available to you at the time of purchase of the drum and reflected in the price.

I hope you did not pay too much for hearsay.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    Shawn likes this.
  22. gavynnnnn

I paid for drum and nothing else lol this was just a neat factoid provided after purchasing.