I'm done buying used vinyl online

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by cds23, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I hate to be honest, but you really should take the word and letter MINT (M), out of your buying hopes, because it rarely ever exists in the world of vinyl, even if it's brand new and SEALED. I have yet to EVER run into an LP or 45, that is stone cold MINT. Even my expensive jazz albums bought brand new from A.P. have something minor, a stray pop or click. Sure, I have seen and own many records that LOOK mint, but I know better to not expect it actually sound that way. Note: I can live with the occasional noise, as I realize that is the way that it is with vinyl and that is why they invented CD's, SACD's, BluRay Audio, DVD-A and on and on and on!

Dante Fontana likes this.
  2. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

Since as we know visual grading means nothing, the only way NM will ever be an accurate and reliable grading is if every dealer listened carefully to the whole of both sides to check. This is obviously not going to happen unless there were to be a $30 to $50 surcharge for the service, depending on how valuable time was to each seller. As Chris C says above new records are hardly ever mint either, so we’re stuck with the rule of thumb to expect a condition one grade down on that described.

Chris C likes this.
  3. MKHopkins

MKHopkins Break out the Hats and Hooters

100% agree, which is why I’m so amused by that other thread where everyone states that their collections are 90-100% perfect.

I have found 3-4 trusted ebay sellers I stick with, where their NM/VG+ regularly line up with my own expectations. I think it’s really the only way to make sure you will get value grom online sellers. It was a few years of trial and error unfortunately.

Dante Fontana and Chris C like this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

On Disgogs I only look at NM & Mint listings.

When I try out a seller for the first time I...
    Go through their feedback.
    Ask questions before I pull the trigger.
    I have to be happy on all accounts before I make a purchase.

Darryl

5. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I have a completely different opinion of groove wear after using a VPI 16.5 record cleaner. I think that most of what I used to call groove wear was simply dirty records.

I rarely run into groove wear anymore, either with used purchases or on my own records which, over the years, I've played dozens of times.

In fact, I wish I still owned LPs I got rid of because they sounded worn out. I bet most of them weren't. In the '70s, I replaced a bunch of first pressings with LPs made from new, often inferior, masters. I could hear they didn't sound as good at the time but didn't know what else to do. Maybe I should have quit college, got a job, and earned enough money to buy a Keith Monks record cleaner. At least I got religion when I bought my VPI in 1984 0r '85.

Romerovm likes this.
  6. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

I see these for sale all the time in South Florida-the tubes alone are worth more than the asking price. They're like pianos down here-you can't give them away.

7. DigitalBlues

DigitalBlues Forum Resident

My worst experience was receiving a filthy MFSL Gold CD that was listed as NM. The jewel case was VG+, but the bottom surface of the disc had some kind of reddish, fresh, organic matter, along with dust and some minor scratches. I cleaned the disc, and it played great, but I let the seller know he should at least take these things out of the case and inspect them before slapping on a grade of NM.

patient_ot likes this.
  8. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics Thread Starter

My take on this is simple: if you won't or can't listen to a used record before you put it up for sale online (I don't care for why), then don't list it as NM, better yet, not even as VG+. If you can't or won't clean a dusty record, then don't list it as NM or VG+ - there is absolutely no telling if a record is in good condition if the surface is covered by dust and dirt. And also, if a record has an audible scratch that causes loud pops, ticks & clicks for more than 20 seconds, don't list it as NM or VG+, no matter how good or silent the rest of the record is. A damaged record can never be anything above VG. Quite honestly, it should never be graded above VG-. If 80% of all sellers would just keep these rules in mind, then buying records online would be a much safer bet.

panasoffkee and patient_ot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.