I'm done listening to the past -

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Riverwest, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Podcasts are a great thing and there's one for everything you can imagine...

Or check the charts out and see what's popular these days.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Take a break from music for a while.

Dave, zongo and abzach like this.
  3. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Seconded. Absolutely breathtaking album, no matter what your preferences are. Can't really put my finger on which genre suits it best, which is a good thing.

Crimson jon likes this.
  4. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Believe it or not, there's new music being made by great musicians and composers all over the world every day of every kind and type you can imagine, and probably some types you can't even imagine. Not only that, but these are living, working musicians who you could probably got see perform, or see world premiere performances of their compositions. Listen to that.

Chris DeVoe, eyeCalypso, Yost and 7 others like this.
  5. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

this is good advice
    that's what I do when music gets boring

Rhett likes this.
  6. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

7. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Tommyboy likes this.
  8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Agreed. Try widening your horizons and maybe take a break.

Time out can often lead to the passion returning.

For me, new and more musical speakers brought my passion back.

Dave and rebellovw like this.
  9. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes not to sound too grandiose but it sounds like what I imagined music in the 2020s would sound like in my adolescent mind back when I used to imagine such things.

10. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

Good to see this view on life. I love my old music but continue to look to the future. I don't get people who have decided to shut themselves off from all music newer than 30-40 years old because they believe doing so is a betrayal of their heroes

Riverwest, Paul R and McCool71 like this.
  11. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Have you given a listen to Mr. Black’s album?

[​IMG]

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm just impressed you've had time to listen to everything.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

There are literally a Ga-ZILLION hours of a radio-show called "Over The Edge"-
    each one, a surreal trip through time !
    Here's the 'grouping' of shows called "How Radio Was Done".
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]
    Over the Edge Radio
    Negativland
    Over The Edge Radio Archive (Seeland 031). Negativland's live mix radio show "Over The Edge" has been the longest-running block of free-form audio collage in radio history. With Negativland's Don Joyce at the helm, the weekly show was broadcast from KPFA FM in Berkeley California from 1981 to 2015. His death on July 22, 2015 closed a very large and long chapter in the group's history.

Here is how Don and Negativland described Over The Edge in texts drawn from over three decades of promoting the show:

"OTE's weekly themed mixes are made live and spontaneously on the air from a variety of formats and equipment used to do live sound cut ups and collage while mixing, including the frequent use of the now long dead analog technology of radio broadcast cart machines. On each themed episode of OTE there is a plan and there is no plan. Existing within the parallel universe of the Universal Media Netweb, the OTE mix consists of found sounds of many kinds from many sources put together on the run as the continuous audio collage progresses, along with live electronics (often from our Boopers), live sound processing, and all sorts of reccuring themes, topics and characters. Some of the shows involve all of Negativland, while some involve others outside of our group who participate semi-regularly. Beyond those, there are regular solo show broadcasts by Negativland member Don Joyce, who is the FCC license holder and responsible for filling the radio slot each week. All in all, if you like Negativland, you will like these shows, no matter who is involved, as they all maintain a "Negativ" touch based on our live mixing techniques. OTE often employs “Receptacle Programming,” which means you. Phone callers are punched into our mix with no warning. Call 510-848-4425 to deposit your programming. When your phone stops ringing, you’re on the air. Don’t say 'hello'."

A good overview of Over The Edge, Negativland, and Don Joyce's legacy can be found at this link.

Don's detailed 1995 essay about "Over The Edge."

For an informative bio on Negativland's past, present, and future, try this link.

Besides Negativland's many studio recordings, over the years a small selection of Over The Edge shows have been carefully edited into CD releases, often with elaborate packaging, and can be found here.

For updates on what the group is currently up to try Negativland's Facebook page.

NOTE 1: This archive began in September of 2015 by posting 941 three-to-five-hour-long episodes of Over The Edge from Don’s own personal air checks. That's over 3200 hours of live radio. There are still gaps in this archive to be filled over time (especially the early years. The 2015 shows will go live soon), so please contact Negativland at ote@negativland if you have any shows that we are missing. When you do, put "OTE" in the subject line. Our spam filters are set on high, and anything not having that tag will be junked. We're figuring that spam robots are not yet sophisticated enough to understand this paragraph, so we should be safe for a while.

NOTE 2: Individual show descriptions found here are mostly written by Don, but if a show description is missing and you’d like to contribute one, write it up as a "review" of the episode and let us know that you posted it. We are working on new and better ways to search this archive, and if you have ideas about that, drop us a line. And if you are that person who listens to every single show up here, however many years it takes you, please tell us!

NOTE 3: From 1981 to 1985, Over The Edge was on Sunday nights from 2am to 7pm. From 1985 onwards, the show has been on Thursday nights from midnight until either 3am or 5am, depending on which week of the month it was. The show was never on for the first week of each month, which is why there are never 52 shows in any given year.

NOTE 4: Though Over The Edge and Receptacle Programming continues to exist, evolve, and is still broadcasting each week on KPFA FM, this archive consists of the episodes helmed by Don Joyce. Once we have all of 2015 up, it will end on the episode broadcast immediately after his passing, "There Is No Don."

"To create is divine. To reproduce is human." - Man Ray.
    MORE
    share Share

No_FavoriteFavorite
    rss RSS
    playPlay All
    ABOUT
    COLLECTION
    FORUM

15. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I haven’t listened to classic rock since I was a teenager.
    Try
    Talk Talk
    Joy Divison
    Kate Bush...
    A lot of great music out there

16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What do you mean? Go get some new music. Pretty simple. You don't really need suggestions. Just try new things. If you've saturated you past with listening to the same stuff, you've missed out on a lot of new music.

17. Devin

Devin Time's Up

Time to bury your old music friends. This is the real future.

Luckless Pedestrian likes this.
  18. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

20. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Read. Seriously. Time's wasting.

Greg Gee, aina, nicholas029 and 2 others like this.
  21. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Great idea - buy a Kindle paperwhite and a library card. I love that thing.

bumbletort likes this.
  22. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

"I'm done listening to the past"

You probably won't make the Listener Hall of Fame then...

23. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes Brunswick is as close to a modern masterpiece I have heard in last few years. I still play it in heavy rotation.

Weirwolfe and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  24. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Done with the past - then you must listen to the future!

25. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

These two sound steeped in the early 70s. I don't know what classical composers the OP has explored but there's an awful lot of music in that world from the Renaissance to the present.

I never have this problem with any genre because I don't listen to the same stuff over and over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.