I'm done listening to the past -

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Riverwest, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I'm always interested in hearing new stuff but I would never just cut out the old stuff completely. I don't know why you'd want to do that. Balance

Exile On My Street and rednoise like this.
  2. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Then don't
    Did you know that 50,60 and 70 year old artist are still making new music? putting new albums out?

Well who knows it's your life.
    Or go get Sammy Hagar's new album

Van Morison is putting new records out every other week, but if your not looking no one will do it for you.

Dave likes this.
  3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

For a serious reply, it's time to start digging into some modern jazz. Some amazing stuff out there right now:

Dave and observerstation like this.
  4. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

One thing I no as fact, there is far far far more music I haven't heard than what I have. The music doesn't even have to be new because it's always new if you never heard it before.

5. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

Force yourself to listen constantly to only over-the-air Top 40 radio for a couple months.

It could be kinda like the music version of Super Size Me.

agundy likes this.
  6. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

modern day Ska bands?

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

River needs some angst in his life :winkgrin:

8. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Check out some of the Midnight Records catalog of bands. 1313 Mockingbird Lane, Plan 9, The Chesterfield Kings, Groovy Ghoulies, Suburban Nightmare (Pre-Dwarves). Many people have not ever dug into this odd slice of musical bands, a treasure trove of stuff. Also, any Lorenzo Woodrose related prohects, especially Baby Woodrose., which will lead to a host of bands and artist on Bad Afro Records. I have been deep diving record label catalogs more so than in the past. Always an interesting road to follow, which always leads to interesting side roads. No idea if you will like or are into any of this music, but just a shot to get your juices flowing again. I at times feel like anything I own is not what I want to hear. At those times I always suggest going down odd roads to ignite a new spark.

9. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Plenty of good artists around today, just start listening to them. I recommend Foster The People, they’ve good 3 great records out at the moment.

c-eling likes this.
  10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I'll never abandon my classic rock faves but I've made an effort over the past year to check out some newer acts. Some of the artists who have caught my ear recently are Monowhales, Bleached, Trijntje Oosterhuis, and Sara Bareilles.

11. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sure, I'm exploring great 'new' music from that period and beyond all the time, exploring various different scenes and styles that I wasn't fully aware of in the past. Sometimes, I learn to appreciate artists that I couldn't get into for whatever reason when I was younger. I enjoy a lot of newer music as well, but I don't see why anyone should have to impose arbitrary rules on themselves like the OP. Listen to what pleases you and mix it up according to your tastes when you get tired of the same old same old. I've occasionally had relative dry spells with music over the years, but it's usually not too long before I'm getting fascinated by some other new/old sounds. There's always something else out there waiting to be (re)discovered . .

Dave and Chrome_Head like this.
  13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sorry, can’t hear you. Listening to Frank Sinatra and Jobim.

Why don’t you just chill and have a listen to them, too...

vinylsolution and c-eling like this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

WFMU.org

RudolphS likes this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

When in need for some new tunes I head to Bandcamp.
    Randomly found Nightjacket, a new favorite just by browsing. :)

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

:righton:

Seriously, there is some great new music out there if you're willing to look a bit for it and threads like the one mentioned are a great place to start.

bvb1123 and c-eling like this.
  17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

The Black Keys just released a new album.

18. Linus

Linus Senior Member

I hear ya, “Classic Rock” has been rammed down our throats by Radio, TV, film, etc. etc. for way too long.
    The really sad thing is it’s the same 27 songs over and over and over!!

Me, I’m I’m spending my twilight years going back and deeper seeking out all the good things I’ve missed. I’m exploring 70s prog, 50s Sinatra and Dean Martin big band stuff, non mainstream country music, hundreds of great artists from the 60s and 70s, etc., there is just SO much good music waiting to be unearthed/rediscovered!

19. bassordrum?

bassordrum? Forum Resident

You've covered classic rock, jazz, classical. Time to break out ol'-school country! Yeeehaaaa!

20. Jocko

Jocko Forum Resident

Some of us live almost entirely in the past. So much killer music. Enough to fill a few lifetimes.
    You might not be looking deep enough? I never go near the most burned out songs(aka Stairway...)
    But deeper tracks of every band from the the mid 60’s to the mid 70’s, and beyond. To each, their own.

Linus likes this.
  21. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Personally I’m not nearly done with the classics yet. I’m only 20, and while I’ve covered a ton of ground so far, there’s still so much that’s new to me that I need to hear. I’m having a great time!

That’s a great thing about being young in the digital age, every thing at my fingertips instantly. Thanks to streaming I’ve listened to so many albums that I can’t even afford to buy them all or I’d go broke!! I’m working on it though that’s for sure :D

Most days I listen to one or two (sometimes more!) albums I haven’t heard yet. I keep a list too, it’s a nice little hobby.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Chris DeVoe and dsdu like this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

23. 905

905 Senior Member

You may have to find a new forum
    :(

As far as me, there's so much old stuff it's always fresh. To quote Bad Company, I can't get enough.

Dave, Smackswell and RedRoseSpeedway like this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Each to their own.
    I'm fifty and still discovering old and new music...
    I don't know what to tell you.... ?

25. Or Negi Ramen

Who knows? You might decide the old music was not so bad after all. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.