I'm done listening to the past -

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Riverwest, Jul 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I'm still discovering things from the past that continue to blow my mind.
    I don't think I could live long enough to hear it all.

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

You haven't heard everything.

4. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Walk away from music for awhile and find a different hobby. Then maybe you can come back to music with a new appreciation.

5. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

6. Django

Django Forum Resident

I can relate to this. Love the great old bands but am baffled as to how people can just listen to the same old stuff endlessly. I think it's why I can't get excited about all these 40th, 50th anniversary boxsets. I love those albums, they're great, but I've played them to death.

I haven't listened to much music at home in weeks now. I'm more into documentaries, political discussion TV shows, podcasts.

mooseman likes this.
  7. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Agreed!

mark winstanley likes this.
  8. old school

old school Senior Member

Why is the OP even here? Doesn't make any sense LOL.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  9. RedRoseSpeedway

I wouldn’t go that far, seems he’s just looking for help.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Django and mark winstanley like this.
  10. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

No more rock and roll? Only two options left - more sex and drugs.

11. Smackswell

Smackswell Kossoff & Ralphs LA 76

Don't all Tangerine Dream albums sound the same?

maui jim likes this.
  12. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

There is so much music available nowadays that I feel like I’ll never hear everything that I want to. Old and new. Just today, I listened on Spotify to Donovan’s 1st two albums, 2 albums by Atlantic Starr on YouTube, a Bjork CD in my car on the way home, and back home on Spotify to listen to Los Stellarians, an offshoot of 311 that came out about 5 years ago

25 years ago it would have taken me forever to find some of this stuff, and now most of it is instantly available. I’m loving this. I’m only sorry that I didn’t have this earlier in my life.

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  13. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

There's a whole wide world of 70s-90s music that is largely underground and not the kind of stuff you would see in Rolling Stone magaizne. I've spent most of my life delving into this world of post-punk, coldwave, darkwave, new wave, etc. (Snake Corps, Sad Lovers and Giants, The Flesh Eaters, These Immortal Souls, The Sound, etc).

And then there are the outer fringes of jazz, more R&B influenced, or Fusion that I've grown to love. (Lonnie Liston Smith, Dr. Lonnie Smith, Gabor Szabo, etc)

Old outlaw country - Waylon Jennings and Steve Young, new country like John Moreland.

And then there is some new music - existing bands! - that I enjoy immensely. (Destroyer, Gunship, Mirrors, Detachments, etc).

14. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Sorry but I don’t believe you. It’s probably just a phase. Although it’s great to start exploring new stuff I don’t believe there is enough time in a life (if you’re not independently wealthy since birth) to listen deeply to everything. There’s always plenty to explore across all of the decades.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I can get enough of Bad Company, ironically.

mark winstanley likes this.
  16. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I felt 'Exactly the same way' a few years ago... burnt out really bad on classic rock and I hated the 'new' stuff so that was totally out of the equation.

Always really enjoyed 50s/60s Jazz. So much of it to explore. So many artists, but put most of that down for a couple years too but did listen to a little. Always was into The Blues so that was cool. I've always loved Brazilian which has always been excellent, Samba and Jazz Fusion (like Azymuth which I really super dig). Never get tired of Brazilian like Bossa Nova & Samba beach music.

So... I got into 'The Delta Blues' - heavy stuff, I had no idea (LPs & CDs), and that also send me into the direction of the beginnings of early Jazz. Got into Irish bar type music too! Way cool.

Heard a lot of Asian 'Traditional' and enjoyed it so I tried to get into South American 'Traditional' too (bought 50 M- LPs - not my cup of tea at all, way to hard to swollow.

Eventually... I got into some rock and roll that I never really listened to before.

So all is cool now. :)

:righton:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Riverwest likes this.
  17. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Digging new Ed Sheeran album:hide:

Terrapin Station and bluesky like this.
  18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Check out their Live Miles album. Should surprise you.

19. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Listen to what u love ....But DO IT IN QUAD.. :)

~dave~~wave~ and Devin like this.
  20. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This^

I went through this a few years ago and the way I got out of it was by listening to things from the '60's and '70's that I'd never heard of--or heard of , but never actually heard.
    Especially in the genres of progressive rock, blues, folk and jazz.

It was like hitting a "refresh" button.

rockclassics likes this.
  21. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Pretty much what everybody else said. Listen to some modern artists, look up folks you haven't heard before or give music a break.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

This was going to be my suggestion, as these Best New Albums of Recent Years are a few of my Favorite Threads in this Forum. Also, several links to the mentioned Songs/Albums are provided in these Threads to make it easy to check out at least 1 Song by a more recent Music Artist/Genre. Really not enough hours in the Day, as I am also discovering Music Artists/Albums from the 1970s-1980s.

Gaslight likes this.
  23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We send you to the Steve Hoffman Forum reprogramming center. When you've been rehabilitated, we'll transfer you to the Beatles Love division.

24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I have a feeling it's not "help" he's looking for.

25. RedRoseSpeedway

Do you think he’s just trying to diss the classics and rile people up? Hmm :sigh:

blastfromtheeast and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.