I'm in dire need of a new pair of headphones...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

The £350 Oppo PM-3 everytime..Nothing better for under 1k.Check out the reviews.

[​IMG]

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Just so you're aware (because maybe you're not), this won't save your hearing from the damage they've incurred so far at your noisy workplace, nor will it prevent long-term additional damage from continuing to work in those conditions.

Hope you like them, though.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will more than likely be leaving this job soon. I’m aware the damage. I’m no longer having problems related to the job (I’m barely getting any hours, sometimes barely 10, and I’ve mostly been in the quietest area at the place, which is nice. And it’s definitely nice that they’ve turned down many arcade games and the music, possibly due to its annoyance). I’ve had many sinus issues lately, have had them for many months. Those have been messing up my ears lately.

4. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got my Bose QuietComfort 25s today. Very comfortable headphones. The sound is rather good. Soundstage isn’t as wide as I was hoping, about the same as my old Skullcandys, it seems like, but the treble is so natural sounding, and there is detail in the bass that I’ve never heard before. The noise reduction is excellent, and I can’t wait to get these broken in and see how the sound really is!

timind likes this.
  5. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Do you know if these sound good with vinyl? Or does the accentuated base make things sound too mushy? All the reviews try them out with digital sources.

6. cjc

cjc Senior Member

If you want some Open Back too, look at Sennheiser HD700's. I like them with vinyl. They are very "clean" sounding to my ears. They have also gone down in price recently too.

7. thelonius munk

thelonius munk New Member

For a while the HD 6XXs I was seeing on Craigslist, Reddit AVexchange and ebay were more than the original selling price of $199. But now I'm seeing them on Craigslist for well under $200 and I think for that price they are pretty unbeatable.

Other usual suspects under $200 new are the AKG k701/k702/7XX, Beyer DT880/DT990 and Hifiman 400i. I settled on the DT990 and 6XX.

8. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I haven't read all of the responses, but a set of headphones that you might want to try are the Koss PortaPros (price: around $50). I've used a set for years and have been pleased with them. They sound fairly good (a little too much bass for my taste but that is easily dealt with via an equalizer adjustment), and I can wear them for a while without discomfort.

Comfort is an issue for me when it comes to headphones, and one of the reasons I won't purchase an expensive set of headphones until I can try them on first. I've tried a few and they are uncomfortable right from the start. If a set of headphones is low cost (less than $20) I will give them a try without trying them on first since I'm only out a small amount of money if they are uncomfortable and I might get a pleasant surprise (the JVC Flats) when it comes to comfort and sound quality. However, I'm not going to do that with a set of headphones that cost more than $50.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.