I’m new to HiFi and vinyl. Which should I upgrade first?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Braxton634, Oct 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I agree with others that if I had to pick one it would-be speakers. Better speakers will make a low budget amp/ receiver sound better but a better amp won't necessarily be a noticeable upgrade with crappy speakers.

I would also check Craiglist as you can get great deals on very good speakers for pennies on the dollar if you are patient.

nosliw, Old Rusty and CrazyCatz like this.
  2. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I second the Elac speakers. I have the Elac debut B6 and absolutely love them. These would be great speakers to build your system around. After speakers I would go amplifier. If you want to go simple go with a receiver with a built in phono. Find a refurbished Yamaha from like: YAMAHA R-N602 2-Ch x 80 Watts Networking Stereo Receiver
    After these two pieces than you can concentrate on your sources: Turntable and CD Etc.

Dmac43 likes this.
  3. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

4. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

5. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I second the Elacs for that money.

Options for under 200 :

JBL Arena B15
    Polk Audio TSi100

Dmac43 and Clonesteak like this.
  7. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

The point is, as I see it, that no matter what he assembles now, it will be a learning experience for him. So, I think he should choose the front and back (cartridge and speakers) as a reference with whatever cheap equipment he will buy now, and better equipment, if he so chooses, later.

He will learn by personal experience about equipment synergy. Or, he will just keep everything as it is, and focus on music, not so much the perfection of its sound.

nosliw likes this.
  8. Warren Jarrett

Polks provide mediocre sound, at best.

Elacs are much better.

And a speaker that is very efficient, will help keep dynamics impressive, while allowing less expensive amplification. I suggestion spending more for the speakers, and less for everything else, except maybe the cartridge (Cheap carts are really junk compared to something $200 to $400 more).

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  9. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I agree that buying a used pair gives you the best chance of finding something reasonably-decent for $200 or less.

I think the odds are (much) lower at "thrift" shops, but with repeated visits you just might luck in. Better to look online - and local since shipping could eat up your entire budget.

While there are dozens, if not hundreds, of potential brands/models that could come up for sale, I'm going to make a suggestion ONLY because it's something that I am both very familiar with, and I know that they can be had for $200 or less: the old Koss CM Series of speakers. In order of most likely to get within your budget, to least likely: Koss CM/530, Koss CM/1010, Koss CM/1020, and Koss CM/1030. I'm the go-to online "expert" on these speakers and would be happy to give you advice should you see a pair and are thinking of buying. In most cases they might need some work (at extra expense) but pairs that sound great and don't need anything done to them (at least not immediately) can still be had. Contact me at [email protected]. Because I often need to reply with attachments, I only use that email address, and not PMs, when it comes to Koss CM matters.

Jeff

ps. There's a great review of the Koss CM/530 on Page 32 of this issue of Popular Electronics. Based on my own listening experience, I can confirm what the review says, and agree with its conclusion: "In conclusion, Koss's CM/530 is a thoroughly exceptional speaker, and one is not likely to find another at its price with better sound." :)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
    nosliw likes this.
  10. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Now that's more like it we can now disagree, although I don't know what the OPs goal is, so I'll presume it's a good system and nowadays that gonna cost around £900 including stands cable etc, however in the U.S. what the Fs going on it'd cost around $1450 from the prices I'm seeing.

So here I'd stick with the the Elacs, front end Rega 1 & Marantz PM6006 amp, total cost £815. If I was going to upgrade further I'd start with the deck I'd be happy to have those speakers with a Rega 3 and next a better amp, only then I may be tempted upgrade the speakers.

11. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Seems like a pretty arrogant statement about a subjective subject...

12. Warren Jarrett

My opinion about Polk is merely OPINION, which, as you know, we all have one. But I rarely express my audio opinions so strongly, as I do about Polk speakers. I have heard Polk sound very bad over-and-over for many decades. I would say the same about Bose, which is also a very popular brand. Both of these brands have very active marketing, which IN MY OPINION is the only factor in explaining their success. And I question the audiophile capabilities of anyone who thinks they sound good. Yes, I am arrogant about a few things that are just so obvious to me, that I cannot understand how or why anyone would disagree.

nosliw likes this.
  13. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Good bang for the buck seem to be the Elac speakers out there. Elac Debut B6 have been all the rage in your price range.
    Debut B6 – Elac

14. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

I've heard many different brands of speakers sound bad over the years, but I would never state that an entire manufacturer's line throughout time sounds bad.
    I don't like Japanese speakers, my opinion, can't stand Klipsch speakers, my opinion, hate some Polk speakers, my opinion, so I understand your opinion but that doesn't mean that everyone else should feel the same... And not for nothing, OP is looking for an inexpensive pair of speakers, Elac, Polk, Wharfdale and others all make speakers in the $200.00 price range that would sound better than what the op currently uses Yes, even the Polks…, I just happened upon the Polks that I posted whilst surfing Ebay... Again, sound is subjective, the op should listen to speakers and choose for themselves and not listen to other peoples opinions about the sound that they prefer...

15. Warren Jarrett

Yeah, well, Polk speakers sound consistently bad to me and to every audiophile I know. Polk should be ashamed at themselves. The only speakers worse are Bose, and just imagine how many people own and love them. It just makes me sick to think about it.

How can you say you hate all Japanese speakers? That is racist (somewhat kidding, for dramatic effect). But there are some VERY high-end speakers, like Raido, that you are probably (and I certainly am not) familiar with. And the old Yamaha NS1000 and NS2000 are some of the best sounding speakers made from that time period. Klipsch Cornwall speakers are absolutely and amazingly good, if driven by complimentary electronics, so your opinion about them is simply and flatly wrong.

Elac is a reference quality speaker, at any level of price range, and will provide a reasonable platform for choosing electronics that can be enjoyed for a lifetime. Polk speakers are a dead end, meaning if you find electroncs that you THINK sound good with them, then you are leading yourself down an ultimately unsatisfying path. Again, if you disagree with this opinion of mine, then you are doing the OP a disservice.

16. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

What does any of that have to do with the op wanting a $200.00 pair of speakers?

17. mikeburns

mikeburns Forum Resident

Save a bit for the elacs mentioned above. Then save up about 200 or so for a better moving magnet cartridge. That will set you up for a good stretch and allow you to decide if you really want to make the next step up. Your turntable is fine for the meantime, just needs a better cartridge.

18. ColeB24

ColeB24 Forum Resident

Get a pair of Elac Debut b6's cheap and sound great. They are book shelf speakers, so if you are only looking at tower speakers then i guess dont get them. But they are great

19. Warren Jarrett

Its ok, if you dont want to understand my concern, that's fine. I dont think you want to hear my logic. The important thing is that I do understand yours, just cheap, wham-bam-thank-you-Polk.

The rest of that message has nothing to do with the OP at all, just about how mis-directed your opinions are. Anyone who thinks that all Japanese and Klipsch speakers don't sound good cannot be trusted to evaluate the sound of audio equipment. Thats all, and again, it is just my opinion. So please just ignore me, with regards to what I think is ignorance. If we were discussing team sports or astronomy, or any number of other subjects, I would be ignorant also.

But regarding audio, and specifically about building a modest system, I am en expert. This is well documented, and well known within the high-end audio community.

20. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

How can anyone hate the sound of Klipsch Cornwalls with an EL34-based tube amp?

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  21. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

It's not just freaking Polk, the guy wants to spend 200.00 dollars... Stop being a pompous dikenzian and get over it!!

22. Warren Jarrett

Simple ignorance. Whoever would be proud of thinking it, and proclaim it out-loud, should find some other hobbies that he can properly perceive and appreciate.

23. Dmac43

Dmac43 Forum Resident

Had I the opportunity to hear that setup I might feel differently... That is precisely my point Subjectivity...

Synthfreek likes this.
  24. Warren Jarrett

Well now you are changing your point, because you are starting to feel defensive. There is no need for that, because we are all friends here, just having fun with topics that are not earth-shattering. Why not just apologize and move on? I have, in this forum, and it is both respectable and refreshing.

25. When I was first starting out I got a pair of Paradigm Mini Monitors for $150. Great speakers for that price. You can find them used on eBay for anywhere from $75 to $200, depending on the iteration. I think mine were v4. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, especially if you can get them in the sub $150 range.

I would also upgrade your cart ASAP. You will get something a lot better if you spend $200+ on the cart, but there are a lot of decent options in the $100 range. Some nice carts come up for cheap in the classifieds section, if you have access yet. I actually have a couple $100-$120 (retail) carts that are extra. PM me if interested, I’d get one to you for the right price (under $50)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.