I'm old school I don't get it (DJ using IPod) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by taters, May 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taters

taters New Member Thread Starter

I went to a wedding tonight that had a DJ. He had 2 TT setup but everything he played came off an I-pod. He said the TT's were just for effect and that 99% of the music he played came off the computer.

2. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

He may be many things but I wouldn't call him a disc jockey personally.

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

He's an MP3J.

4. Macca

Macca R'kid

What's an MP3J? I tried to look it up but can't find it. :)

5. scotto

scotto Senior Member

pod jockey

6. DOUBTINGTHOMAS29

DOUBTINGTHOMAS29 Forum Resident

Why hire the guy when you can get your 10 year old cousin to handle the Ipod.

7. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

May be the DJ aspires to be a podcaster. But what is a DJ for podcasting?

8. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I thought maybe I had coined a new term, but it's already in use:

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/tutorials/mp3j/mp3j.shtml

9. Macca

Macca R'kid

Thanks, that explains fine.

10. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I am in total agreement. When music is played at windows shattering and room shaking volume, does the quality of sound really matter any more, i.e. CD vs. vinyl? The DJ may as well travel light ...

11. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

I used to be perplexed by the Digital Music Revolution...until I started doing lossless copies of my CD library to a 200GB HdD I added to my MCE PC. It's drudgery actually doing the ripping, but once you've built it up, that's when the fun starts. I can cue up all the EPs from my Beatles box, play them uninterrupted, and not have to worry about loading them up in a carousel player.

I don't have any interest in an iPod, but I can see why a DJ would opt for one instead of having to lug around a bunch of LPs. Honestly, you were probably the only one who noticed, everyone else was focused on the wedding.

12. Russ

Russ Outlaw

Because he has his TT's out on display..."for effect".

13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

My 12 year old can operate my Ipod but I wouldn't ask him to make a playlist for a party.

14. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

So why bother to haul around the TTs - yeah, I know effect. Gee, I'm impressed.

Seriously, my daughter went to a HS graduation party last Saturday night. They had a similar setup - laptop PC with amp and speakers. No TTs - so no effect. When she told me about it, I just let it pass. No point in discussing the advantages/disadvantages. This is the way it is with the next generation.

15. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I was at a wedding Saturday night, and the "DJ" had a laptop and a USB external drive hooked up to large speakers and an amp and that was it.

He said he was so glad not to have to drag around crates of CDs. He started doing MD "way back", but was glad to have the digital revolution. He had playback software on the laptop that allowed him to segue tracks, and he just sat there playing with his mouse and doing some voice over.

"That's the Way of the World"

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I guess I'm not really seeing what the problem is. Doesn't it make more sense to run something like that off an iPod or a computer instead of having someone standing there changing records or CDs?

17. scotto

scotto Senior Member

My wife and I spin 78s in clubs from time to time and use a very lo-fi set up. We plug new Califone record players straight into the house sound system and blast away hillbilly, rockabilly, country, and western swing 78s. The sound screaming out of those old grooves is amazing.
    Are hauling around boxes of 78s a hassle (not to mention a risk) that would be eliminated by putting them all on iPod instead? Sure. But would it sound anywhere near as good? No way.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I would never hire one of these clowns for a party. I had live music at my wedding. We hired a live band for my Parents 50th anniversary as well.

19. wkohler

wkohler Forum Resident

Am I the only one that takes issue with the description of the MP3J? You still need speakers, a mic and a mixer (unless you don't talk).

20. taters

taters New Member Thread Starter

I forgot to mention the sound was terrible!

21. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

I'll just bet the music sounded teriffic with that ipod set up. :rolleyes:

22. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

I hate when I see iPods being used by DJ's. I like seeing a physical format such as CD's and/or records. Give me the days of cuing up a CD or record.

23. Jay Casey

Jay Casey New Member

There is SO much more to being a wedding DJ than the equipment, and good equipment doesn't necessarily mean a good DJ. BAD equipment will make a good DJ LOOK bad, though.

24. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You can get upset that the guy has just a laptop and a few other things, but when I had to work a crappy club, I had to haul my own stuff. Never had anything stolen (including one of the FIRST Sony CD Walkmans) but I've dropped records and CDs twice.

Hard drives would have come and gone by now, but a few LPs I wish I still had are trashed.

DJs at weddings are a throw-away thing. No one is ever going to remember how good the DJ was unless he was rotten. If you can do the job with basic computer stuff, go for it.

25. canoehead

canoehead New Member

Why indeed?

I would prefer the 10 year old to most wedding DJ's I've been subjected to over the years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.