I'm on a trip to your town. Which record store should I hit?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by mr. faded glory, Jul 6, 2021.

1. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Forum Resident

Music Millenium is my go-to in Portland, but when they closed Classical Millenium it really eliminated a big part of their clientele.

steelydanguy likes this.
  2. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Forum Resident

It used to be so much more amazing, believe me. When I lived in Japan from 1994-2005, I lived in the country but went to Tokyo every 6 weeks. Akihabara, Ochanomizu, Shinjuku, and Shibuya were my stops where I'd spend the whole day at a few select music shops and equipment dens. Those were the days. Akihabara is mostly Otaku shops now.

mr. faded glory likes this.
  3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

EM went down the drain in Seattle a couple months ago.

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Forum Resident

If you go to Salem, MA for Halloween in October, the Record Exchange is the place to go. Plenty of vinyl, CDs & DVDs and great staff, including Barrence Whitfield. The next town over, Beverly, there's a new vinyl place called Soundtracks. Finally, if you go north to Gloucester, there's Mystery Train Records, another great place.

uzn007 likes this.
  5. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

St. Louis has several good to great record stores. Vintage Vinyl and Euclid are the top two I'd recommend to visitors. If you have extra time, you can hit up the good, smaller shops, like Dead Wax and Planet Score.

6. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Focusing on used records... Raleigh doesn't have a lot of stores that are worth going out of your way for, but if you're in town anyway, check out:

Nice Price Books & Records - Not a huge stock, but I usually find something good for short money in the New Arrivals bin. They also have some unexpected gems in their dollar bin and they sell CDs, books, comics and movies as well.

Sorry State Records - Focused on punk, indie, metal, but their used stock covers all genres. As with Nice Price, it's worth digging through the New Arrivals and the cheap bins on the floor.

troggy likes this.
  7. Montréal

My top 5
    Beatnick
    Cheap Thrills
    Fin Du Vinyle
    CD Échange (must be seen to be believed)
    Les Bons Débarras

8. nolazep

nolazep Use your open eye, Frank

In New Orleans, hit up:

Euclid
    Domino Sound Record Shack
    The Mushroom
    Peaches
    Nola Mix

Just make sure to get there after me! :righton:

uzn007 likes this.
  9. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

The only place in town for new and used:

The Next Record Store. If you've been to The Last Record Store, it's the same place. There's more of an emphasis on vinyl than there used to be.

10. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

What's happening with Elvis and that record player? It looks like he's either washing dishes in an inconveniently deep sink, or being pulled into Narnia through a wormhole in the tonearm.

11. flubmetal

flubmetal Active Member

in the Norman area, Guestroom is a mainstay. the hidden gem is a place called Monkey Feet in downtown OKC. the store is only open on the weekends, and the selection is mostly classic rock, but he carries great vintage pressings and Japanese imports.

Music Millennium is great, but I'd skip Everyday Music and go to Mississippi Records instead

12. Jammin' Nuggets Music

Jammin' Nuggets Music New Member

In central Missouri, there is In The Groove in Jefferson City, MO, Hitt Records in Columbia, MO, Jammin' Nuggets Music and Josey's both in Sedalia, MO. There is also Rock N Sports Entertainment in Warrensburg, MO. He carries movies, games, Pokemon cards, and some records and other items.