"I'm Still Standing" ~ Part II Elton John Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyc, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident Thread Starter

From wikipedia:

20 May 1981

THE FOX

[​IMG]

Track listing

1. "Breaking Down Barriers" (Elton John, Gary Osborne) – 4:40
    2. "Heart in the Right Place" (John, Osborne) – 5:13*
    3. "Just Like Belgium" (Elton John, Bernie Taupin) - 4:08
    4. "Nobody Wins" (Jean-Paul Dreau, Gary Osborne) – 3:42
    5. "Fascist Faces" (Elton John, Bernie Taupin) – 5:10
    6a. "Carla/Etude" (Elton John) – 4:45*
    6b. "Fanfare" (Elton John, James Newton-Howard) – 1:26*
    6c. "Chloe" (John, Osbourne) – 4:39*
    7. "Heels of the Wind" (John, Taupin) – 3:37
    8. "Elton's Song" (Elton John, Tom Robinson) – 3:03*
    9. "The Fox" (John, Taupin) – 5:10

* Recorded in August 1979.

On some versions of the CD, "Carla/Etude," "Fanfare," and "Chloe" are combined into one track, making it a 9-track album.

French and Canadian releases of the album included "J'Veux de la Tendresse" in place of "Nobody Wins". "Tendresse" was the original French version of the song which Osborne wrote English lyrics for, thus transforming the song into "Nobody Wins".

B-sides
    Song Format
    "Fools in Fashion" Nobody Wins 7" (US/UK)
    "Tortured" Chloe 7" (US)
    "Can't Get Over Getting Over Losing You" Just Like Belgium 7" (UK)
    "Nobody Wins (Extended Version)" Nobody Wins 12" (US)
    "Je Veux De La Tendresse (French Version of "Nobody Wins")" Nobody Wins 12" (US)

Personnel

* Victor Feldman: percussion
    * Jim Horn: Alto Saxophone
    * Roger Linn: Drum Synthesizer programming
    * Elton John: Piano, vocals
    * Reggie McBride: Bass
    * Dee Murray: Bass, Backing Vocals
    * James Newton-Howard: Vocoder, synthesizers, Fender Rhodes, Hammond Organ
    * Nigel Olsson: drums
    * Mickey Raphael: Harmonica
    * Stephanie Spruill: Tambourine
    * Alvin Taylor: drums
    * Ritchie Zito: Guitar
    * Colette Bertrand: French Girl on "Just Like Belgium"
    * Rev. James Cleveland: Spoken Words on "Fascist Faces"

Charts
    Album
    Billboard Top 200 21
    UK 12

Singles
    Nobody Wins
    Billboard Hot 100 21
    UK 42
    Chloe
    Billboard Hot 100 34
    Just Like Belgium
    UK FC

tug_of_war and fredblue like this.
  2. tonyc

Reposting the following as it pertains to discussion of "The Fox" album:

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Haven't had time to follow this discussion in part 1 much, but I'll admit to really loving the first few Geffen albums (and their b-sides). Fascinating to read about the early "rejected" album - I had no idea.

"Nobody Wins" was a terrible single for this album, IMO: overly melodramatic and unappealing, but it's one of the few weak links here. Really enjoy the title track, especially. And "Fools in Fashion" is a fun b-side, worth seeking out, and sadly unavailable (afaik) on cd...

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

While I don't think this album can be regarded as a classic, it does have some really strong cuts...The Fox, Heels of the Wind, Just Like Belgium and, yes, Nobody Wins.

So on that evidence I have to conclude that Mr Geffen made the right call...

5. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I love THE FOX. It's an embarrassment of riches, songs from all over the place with different collaborators, musicians, studios, etc. BUT IT WORKS. Some of Elton's deepest, most soulful songs here, such as "Chloe," "Elton's Song," Carla/Etude," "Heart In The Right Place," "The Fox" ... lots of divergent material thoughtfully compiled. THE FOX has gotten better with time. An underrated gem. I recommend it.

6. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

One of Elton's worst album covers. All of Elton's Geffen album covers are pretty terrible actually aside from Too Low For Zero.

tug_of_war likes this.
  7. tonyc

"The Fox" is an underrated gem of an album and his first released on Geffen Records. Part of the album was recorded during the "21 At 33" sessions and the rest were recorded with new producer Chris Thomas, who would produce many Elton John albums in the coming years.

Chip Stylus will like this story. I remember buying this CD in 1990 at an independent record store in Knoxville called "Lynn's Disc N Dat". I paid $30 because it was the Rocket West Germany import and had yet to be released on CD in the US. I had never heard anything on this album previously but liked it instantly.

My song for song review:

1) Breaking Down Barriers - One of my favorites on the album. I love how the music bounces from speaker to speaker on this uptempo optimistic track. I have always felt this should have been the first single.

2) Heart In The Right Place - I usually skip this one. An unusual spot in the running order to do so. But, I think that following top heavy "21 At 33" a deliberate attempt was made to make "The Fox" bottom heavy.

3) Just Like Belgium - A fun uptempo track. It was logically released as a single in Europe but failed in the UK. But, it was popular in Belgium as evidenced by a recording I have done live for a Brussels audience in 1982.

4) Nobody Wins - This was a French song that Elton apparently liked the beat to so he had Gary Osborne write English lyrics for it. Elton sings a version in French and at some live shows would alternate singing this in English and French. But, in the US, a questionable choice for lead single as this would rank as among his lowest ever.

5) Fascist Faces - An interesting Taupin lyric. It features choir and has a kick with some good guitar riffs at the end.

6a) Carla/Etude - This is a stunningly beautiful instrumental. I have read where this was the first song written for a planned instrumental album. The world would have been better off if this project was taken to completion rather than "Victim Of Love".

6b) Fanfare - This works as a short transition piece from the orchestra to synthesizer.

6c) Chloe - This was a US single and even though it did not peak as high as the first single it is probably the one more people would recognize. A nice ballad with a catchy chorus.

7) Heels Of The Wind - Another upbeat Taupin number with a lyric I always remember: "I'm no E-ticket ride at Disneyland" since Disney was a big part of my life growing up in Florida.

8) Elton's Song - A Tom Robinson lyric that allows Elton to sing about his homosexuality. I always wondered, because of the buzz that would have been created by the title and lyrics, if this song could have been a better single choice than "Chloe"? On the other hand, some countries banned this song entirely and produced the album with one less track.

9) The Fox - My favorite song on the album. Another upbeat Taupin number with a catchy chorus and beautiful harmonica. A great album closer.

For those of you who remember when "The Fox" came out, I have always been amazed this album could not at least go gold in the US. Did Geffen distribute and promote this album properly? Did you notice a difference in how Geffen handled Elton John compared to MCA? In an unusual bit of promotion, there is a video of every song on the album and that was released as "Visions" in conjunction with the album. But, apparently that did not go over well.

rokritr listed the original album prepared for Geffen and how it changed over time. I think "The Man Who Never Died" is a next level song that should have been on the album. I think "The Retreat" belongs as well. All in all, though, I think Geffen was a positive influence here. It was probably good for Elton to have someone say no to him and make him make a better album. Ironically, it would take another album before the Elton-Geffen partnership yielded better results.

Carlox and fredblue like this.
  8. Gene

Gene Active Member

Loved Just Like Belgium... Heard it on the radio and bought the album that day, JLB sounded like the closest thing to classic Elton since Caribou.. The hook laden chorus, the piano out front & center... Told me that the real EJ was still there...

9. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I always had a soft spot for The Fox. Chloe is one of my favorite Elton songs along with the title track. Heart in the Right Place and Elton's Song are both good. Breaking Down Barriers is OK. The rest is all lesser than the 5 mentioned. I guess 5 out of 9 ain't bad.

10. MJH64

MJH64 Forum Resident

Have always loved this LP. The weakest song is Fascist Faces, to my ears it's always sounded "off", like it was mixed wrong or something. My changes (had they asked me!):

--substitute Fools in Fashion for Fascist Faces.
    --1st single should have been Breaking Down Barriers. Nobody Wins should never have been a single, this actually hurt sales of the LP.
    --2nd single in US should have been Just Like Belgium.

Very underrated LP and unfortunately a slow start on what was then a fresh and innovative new record label.

11. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I've always thought of The Fox as Elton's coming-out album. Certainly there in "Elton's Song" but the subtext is pretty clear in "Breaking Down Barriers" and a few others-- the start of his tropubles with the press, and the sleek Euro-disco feel of a few tunes. The video that came out around the time underlines it all pretty well.

In any case, I think this is the best Geffen album. The Taupin songs bring back some of the vintage sound, and it's integrated real well with the shinier pop things he was gravitating towards. Much of this album sounds very personal, which wouldn't be the case in the next few.

12. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

A couple of random thoughts about The Fox.

For an Elton John maniac who jumped on board in 1977, The Fox seemed like a total "comeback." Time hasn't been quite that kind to the album, but there are, nevertheless, several terrific songs on it.

"Chloe" is one of them (despite the chorus being really lazy, lyrically). I just wish my CD offered the song as a separate track. I actually enjoy "Carla" and "Etude," but "Fanfare" sounds so cheesy to me now.

I used to despise Gary Osbourne's lyrics, but now I blame Elton. He should have known better--there's nothing in any way distinctive about Osbourne's writing, but Elton ultimately brought him on board. I can see where it was a definite break with Bernie's "voice," but since Bernie pops up throughout 21 at 33, Jump Up and The Fox, I just wish Elton would have gone all-Bernie, all-the-time.

I like the title track to The Fox--I just wish the tempo were a bit faster (just a little bit).

"Elton's Song" was indeed striking to hear. I don't think that, at the time, I realized what a daring song that was. But now I applaud Elton for being so "out."

"Nobody Wins" was, as others have suggested, a terrible choice for a single.

13. nf0603

nf0603 New Member

Certainly not on par with his 70-75 output (but then what is?) but I always thought The Fox was an underrated gem that seems to be under the radar for Elton today. If anything, Nobody Wins and Elton's Song (ever seen the video? brilliant and poignant and a storyline that doesn't date itself back 30 years) alone make this album worth checking out.

14. dickens12@excite

dickens12@excite Forum Resident

I love The Fox and don't understand why it wasn't a bigger hit. I bought it the week it came out, and I also bought the single. I really love the "Chloe" suite. I think that I appreciate Gary Osborne's straightforward lyrics now more than I did at the time, when I was upset about the loss of Bernie. Then again, I think that Bernie lost the thread lyrically back in the '70s.

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Fascist Faces is my favourite track. Production wise, with Jeff Porcaro's drum work, foreshadowed the sound of "Jump Up", to me. Also, a great vocal from Elton.

16. music4life

music4life Senior Member

It wouldve been great for them both to continue after Elton's experiments with a new lyricist, working with Thom Bell, and that Disco fiasco. But at the same time Bernie was working with Alice Cooper, and recording his own album.
    They said it themselves, they needed the break. At least it would lead to a full on reunion by '83.

What ever happened to Gary Osbourne anyway?...

17. OberonOz

OberonOz Senior Member

I know Elton's output after Blue Moves [or earlier, after Capt Fantastic] doesnt get a lot of love, but I think a lot of these albums are under-rated. The Fox is a beautiful album. Maybe its not chock-full of hit single material but it is full of songs that work beautifully together. I love the whole Carla/Etude, Fanfare, Chloe suite. I think Elton's Song is just beautiful. Its not lyrically explicit, but it is very evocative. I do really enjoy listening to the whole album play through. Im not entirely surprised it wasnt a huge hit though. The cover wouldnt have helped that either. Still, all in all, an album I still enjoy listening to and I guess thats the main thing :)

Steve

18. tonyc

I found this in wikipedia.

Gary Osborne has done more than I knew about. Interesting story there about "Little Jeannie" if true:

Osborne was born in London, educated in Switzerland, and followed his father into the music industry at the age of fifteen.

In his younger days, Osborne was a staff A&R man for RCA Records with his own show on the BBC World Service. He went on to write and sing on hundreds of television jingles including Pepsi, Shredded Wheat and Abbey National.

Osborne is best known for his lyrical work with Elton John throughout the album A Single Man, and on parts of the albums, 21 at 33, The Fox, Jump Up!, and Leather Jackets. The three single hits of the collaboration are "Part Time Love" from 1978, "Little Jeannie" from 1980 plus "Blue Eyes" from 1982. The beginning and end of "Little Jeannie" accidentally plagiarised "When I Need You", and instead of suing Osborne, the latter's songwriter, Albert Hammond, collaborated with him on four songs on his 1982 album Somewhere in America.

Osborne, also, collaborated on Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of the Worlds. His co-songwriting credit thus appears on "Forever Autumn" from Justin Hayward.

The song "I Am The Future", composed by Osborne and Lalo Schifrin, appeared in the soundtrack to the film, Class of 1984.

His song "The Last Place God Made", co-penned with Richard Kerr, appeared on World Falling Down, a 1992 album from Peter Cetera.

The song, "It's Not On", written by Jeff Wayne and Osborne, appeared on Justin Hayward's 1980 album, Night Flight.

Another hit with Osborne lyrics is "Amoureuse" by Kiki Dee. Osborne's lyrics for this song are based on Véronique Sanson's original French lyrics.

He has, also, had songs recorded by artists as diverse as Alice Cooper, Cliff Richard, Wilson Pickett, Jennifer Warnes and The Righteous Brothers. His backing vocals credits include "Sugar Baby Love" and "Gonna Make You A Star".

Osborne has recently been providing lyrics for the Lil' Chris's debut album, including the UK Top 3 single, "Checkin' It Out".

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Produced by ELton, so that must have been the first connection.

20. nf0603

nf0603 New Member

The thread got me to play "Elton's Song" on my itunes. That song is such a gut-wrencher. As a gay man, the video definitely hits home because I think at least 90% of gay men who were closeted in high school (at least in the old days where you stayed in the closet because that's what society said that's what was best of you) could relate to the unrequited unspoken crush.

Jayseph, fredblue and JDeanB like this.
  21. MJH64

MJH64 Forum Resident

I always liked the cover, was kind of artsy/new wave for its time. I had a friend in high school at the time who swore the face in the TV screen on the back cover was not Elton, he only thought the front cover TV image was Elton. We argued over this to no resolution!

22. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

The Fox is certainly different.

* "Breaking Down Barriers" seems an attempt, like "Chasing The Crown" on 21 At 33, to start the album off with a rocker before going into adult-contemporary. Except it's not as good. Not bad, but not memorable a minute after you've heard it.

* "Heart In The Right Place" has a nice vibe but goes on too long. You can hear it is an older song than some others, it strives not for the modern sound so many other Fox songs do, but something a little bluesy.

* Bad synth work makes "Nobody Wins" sound like the score for an early 1980s commercial-products training film. I can hear a narrator talking over those opening bars: "Welcome to the 30,000-strong employee ranks of Beatrice."

* "Fascist Faces" was reportedly a response to a famously-reported comment made by David Bowie at the time, that England could do with a fascist leader or some such thing. Not sure it's ever been confirmed. It's a good song though, a rare political song from Elton you can actually enjoy whether or not you agree with him.

* Agree Side 2 is much more interesting and rewarding than Side 1. Not essential, but "Elton's Song" is brave and lingers in the mind and heart if not in the toes, while "The Fox" is a terrific send-off, and would have been my choice for lead-off single. "Chloe", which sounds to me like a sadder, wiser "Little Jeannie", would remain the second.

* What an odd cover! I think it ties into the message of "The Fox" the song, with the fox being stuffed, but is the post-modern decor of the room supposed to conjure up David Bowman in the bedroom at the end of 2001? Or is it some remark on how technology is passing Elton/the Fox by? It's one of those covers like Freeze-Frame and "The Dude" that screams early 1980s.

23. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Wholeheartedly agreed!

I became an Elton fanatic in 1973. I dressed up as EJ for Halloween '74! I had a classmate who said I "lived and breathed" Elton John (and she was right). But "Blue Moves" was the last album I loved. When "The Fox" was released I felt like Elton had FINALLY made a great album again.

When I was in college in the mid 80's I saw the "video album" of "The Fox" for rent in a video store. I desperately wanted to buy it, but it cost like a hundred bucks. A few years later I went back into the store and found it in the dollar bin! One of the best dollars I've ever spent!

24. music4life

music4life Senior Member

I have a tour book from the 1980 where it says in his bio he had collaborated with the Moody Blues but doesnt say in what way or when.

25. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Great story. I'd love to see this video. The Fox is one of my favorite Elton John albums, so this is the kind of thing I'd love to have in my collection, but in all these years I have never seen this VHS tape for sale anywhere. Oh well, I'll just have to be patient. I'm sure one day there will be a special 2-disc deluxe version of The Fox that will include a DVD of all the music videos. I can dream, right?

In my humble opinion, "Breaking Down Barriers" should have been a #1 hit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.