Import vs. Domestic?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by musicfan37, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member Thread Starter

You have probably already noticed, but why do some countries (particularly Japan) get expanded versions (i.e. more songs, elaborate packaging) of CD titles when the US doesn't?

2. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Because of the extremely high prices of cd's in Japan, Japanese record companies offer these extras (i.e. bonus tracks and extra packaging) in order to get Japanese consumers to purchase the domestic pressings instead of the cheaper import copies.

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

From what I've heard, it's not that Japanese domestic CDs are extremely highly priced. It's that the US dollar is weak relative to the yen, so imports of US-made CDs are extremely cheap in Japan (kinda like it is for us Americans when we go buy CDs in Canada).

Anyway, the premise is the same. Japanese consumers were choosing to buy the ultra cheap American imports, rather than the regular-price domestic pressings. So someone came up with the idea of the Japan-only bonus trax, to undercut sales of the cheap US imports.

4. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Well then, why the heck are they so high in Japan? Geeze, it only costs about a buck to make one w/packaging etc.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Japaneses CD releases have an all-around better quality in their packaging, etc. Few equaled their quality, with the exception of the DCC Gold CDs.:)

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The reason is because the copyright and licencing laws are different in other countries. The US laws are tough!

7. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Import or Domestic?

Sorry, I thought this was poll about beer!?!

Rick A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.