Improve my system, 7k budget

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TerpStation, Dec 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone." Thread Starter

Inspired by the audio sweet spot thread i am seeking advice on improving my current set up. My current gear is over 10k in total which some have contemplated as a sweet spot for diminishing returns. I am hoping for some big, not so diminished, returns with a 7k investment into my existing situation.

My current gear:

Hana SL lomc cart
    VPI Prime turntable
    Arcam Rphono phonostage
    Parasound Hint 6 integrated
    GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers

So, with 7k USD what would you do to improve the sound? Please, no suggestions for cables or power conditioners. Also, this rig is for vinyl playing only. No DAC suggestions please.

Thank you for your sincere suggestions on how to get better sound.

displayname and tmtomh like this.
  2. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Perhaps Phono stage and cartridge? Is there anything you don't wish to change? 7K is lot of money and at the same time it isn't to replace some components and get a big difference unless you buy second hand.

alarickc likes this.
  3. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I would focus on the speakers.

Bingo Bongo, Hogues, gingerly and 3 others like this.
  4. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

I'd say a SoundSmith Sussurro mk II (both VPI and SS recommend each other frequently) for $5k and a $2k phono stage.

TerpStation likes this.
  5. TerpStation

Any specific suggestions?

6. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Perhaps you could expand a bit on what your listening priorities are. What musical attributes are most special to you?

timind likes this.
  7. TerpStation

I am not emotionally attached to any piece in the system. My first thought would be that an upgrade of the VPI will yield only diminishing returns in sound so i think that would be the last piece to upgrade in the system.

8. TerpStation

Mostly jazz and acoustic music. Typical audiophile preferences for holographic soundstage, detailed yet warm....

9. timind

timind phorum rezident

Can you describe your room? There are quite a few comments concerning room setup in the referenced thread.

Ingenieur and tmtomh like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Yes, I'd start with the room - speaker placement, acoustic treatments, and so on.

Ingenieur likes this.
  11. TerpStation

Room is a variable. I am on a telecommuting detail on the west coast right now renting a place. After a year i will be out of here and onto a new rental. So room dimensions will be changing. I do have two GIK acoustics "free stand" panels that i use to knock down first side reflections. These things are great as they are mobile.

timind likes this.
  12. chipcalzada

chipcalzada Forum Resident

If you are happy with your speakers I would focus on the source: change of cart to a Hana ML or the new AT Art 9 and the phonostage to a Sutherland or Herron.

If you aren't happy with your speakers I would put the budget into that.

13. TerpStation

tmtomh likes this.
  14. TerpStation

Yes, i was thinking about both of those suggestions, especially a sutherland. But i am not satisfied with the speakers....got these on a whim on audiogon a while back out of curiosity because of all of the reviews. I like them enough, but am ready to move on from them for sure.

15. Uglyversal

If you like living dangerously an expensive cartridge and a phono stage remain my choices.

Otherwise just keep the Hanna and get an expensive phono stage like Audio Research, Rega Aura.

I have a cyrus signature with the additional power supply and I am very pleased with the sound, the two units might be 2K plus in the US and you could put the rest -or even save some money- into a Benz, Lyra or one of the higher Ortofons.

TerpStation likes this.
  16. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Nice! It depends on what you are (or are not) hearing now that is making you want to take it to the next level. My first impulse would be to say that the front wall of brick could be pretty reflective and if those GIK panels are 4-6" thick or less, perhaps you might add some full-on bass traps in the corners.

But I think we'd need a bit more detail from you about what you are looking to improve (frequency balance, bass, imaging, and so on).

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    TEA FOR ONE and TerpStation like this.
  17. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

At 91dB efficiency, 8ohms and with active bass drivers, I'd be very curious how your Triton 2's would sound with a nice, medium-powered tube amp - like a Leben CS600 or LM845ia. Acoustic jazz may be magical with that combo (especially the midrange magic) but I've never heard those components paired. It may be worth seeing if a dealer would let you audition and it would absorb your $7K nicely. Ha.

jupiterboy, trd, Mad shadows and 2 others like this.
  18. Uglyversal

In that case I love PMC they might be harder to come by over there and they have just jacked up the prices with the recently released version but you might still make it to a pair of Twenty5.24i plus two sets of GaiaIII feet, they are worth a listen and they have a lot more bass than what they would appear to.

19. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

I would second all of those suggestions and I thought of making them myself (literally the same ones - ML or Art9, and a Sutherland or Herron phono stage) and wish I had now. But I'll just say that I concur with that assessment. Use the leftovers for more vinyl.

TerpStation likes this.
  20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Is the Arcam an improvement over the phono in the Hint6?

If so, then seven grand would go a long way toward upgrading the whole preamp/amp part of the chain.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  21. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on the Tekton Electrons versus the Triton twos

22. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

The problem is, your system is very well matched, so a $7K bump up on any one component will mean you'll need a bump up on the other components as well, to keep things on a level playing field.

Mad shadows, TerpStation and IRG like this.
  23. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Tests show your speakers at 90dB sensitivity. A quality 60 watt tube amp may be an upgrade. You will also need a good tube phono amp. Don't buy a Bob Latino amp. You need higher quality/performance. At least a $3K amp. Atma-Sphere M60 would be great. Perhaps 30 watts is ok, the Atma-Sphere M30 is less expensive.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  24. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

Why not change to a Parasound JC3+ phono? Or JC3 Jr.

Mad shadows and TerpStation like this.
  25. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

You have what I would think is a nice setup currently.....but making changes, I would likely go phono stage, and then perhaps speakers or cartridge. Lots of options with that amount of money for both/all of these.

Andy Saunders and TerpStation like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.