In Harm's Way - greatly underrated?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PhilBorder, Jul 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member Thread Starter

I think so. I watch it every few years, and it just become more impressive with each viewing. Otto Preminger had a scrupulous interest in exploring the consequences of 'institutions' - Legal system, Church, Politics - on individuals. So he was well suited to take on the story of a Life Long Navy Commander caught between 'peace time and war time navy' at the onset of WWII .The cast is all at the top of their game - John Wayne in particular playing a more somber variation of his archteype, and Premingers direction is superb. Those long fluid shots ecomically establish a situation, then draw you into it (They make Altman's zooming around look quite klutzy). The narrative, with characters disppearing and reappearing is always surprising, with a sustained tension. Characters do both good and bad things, respond in varing degrees of honor, good people do bad things and bad people do good things against the backdrop of a war that's forcing everyone to act like an actual adult.

The only flaw is some of the later battle scenes with obvious use of models, kind of detracts from the epic feel of the film. Especially since rest is so well staged.

DPM, Dennis Metz and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i like the movie

Dennis Metz likes this.
  3. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Beautiful looking movie (model effects notwithstanding) - Loyal Griggs was nominated for the 1966 Academy Award for Cinematography (Black-and-White).

The 38th Academy Awards | 1966

4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member Thread Starter

O.P. isn't thought of as an action director but he certainly knew how to dynamically stage those scenes

Matthew Tate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.