In June 1969, Should Led Zeppelin Have Asked Brian Jones to Join The Group?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Nov 20, 2022.

1. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Yes as I said it is a beautiful part. The point was instant mastery of an instrument. The mandolin part on Evermore is elementary, so Page did not master the mandolin when he first picked it up. It is certainly "pretty good," I can agree with that.

If the Evermore mando part was played solo without a kingsize bedspring of reverb it would sound like what it is: a very simple repeated strumming pattern of a couple of basic chords with a few extra notes . The mandolin on Evermore is for effect and atmosphere, that is the artistic genius of its sound on that track. Page's mandolin proficiency is not worth mentioning and entirely misses the point of the magic that he was creating, as does the ludicrous focus on Brian's marimba skills.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  2. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Instruments may be easy for some to pick up, but creating hooks that add to a song that elevates it and makes people enjoy it more? That’s skill. In the modern era, Brian would have been given cowriting credits for many of his contributions.

speedracer likes this.
  3. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Certainly if he’d been in RHCP or U2…

Just think of his riff in The Last Time, it carries the whole song. No credit, most people assume it’s Keith.

Ewan7 and Amnion like this.
  4. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

I'm referring to the ancient art of guitar weaving that defines the Brian Jones and Ronnie Wood Stones eras. Brian knew how to play rhythm guitar well (that's what Keith Richards loves about rock 'n roll), which would have (in addition to all of his other musical talents) served Zeppelin's live performances.

speedracer likes this.
  5. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

But he create it, or play it? Must say, fun/pointless thread. And here I am LOL.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  6. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Assuming he created it since he played it, probably the first great Stones riff? Then Keith hit his stride beginning with Satisfaction and the rest is history.

Amnion likes this.
  7. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Then we have the story that the whole song was ripped off, LOL. Now, to get back the "topic"is it possible Brian is responsible for the riff in "Whole Lotta Love"? Posthumously of course.

8. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Jones should of joined the Allman brothers as an exotic dancer.

9. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

This.
    He could have danced between Butch and Jaimoe.

10. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Brian Jones' intro to "It's All Over Now" was what got me into rock and roll. It was the stargate. Thank you Brian.

Ghost of Ziggy likes this.
  11. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident

Keith himself said Brian wrote that riff. In part of fact, Keith said whoever wrote the riff was the one who played it

Amnion likes this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

There you have it!

‘If Brian Jones Still Were Alive, Should He Have Joined Nickelback?’

Milkweed likes this.
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Without Brian Jones there wouldn’t have been The Rolling Stones.

14. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Have Rory Gallagher or Johnny Winter written anything on slide guitar as good as In My Time of Dying?
    I am under the impression that you don't know much about the Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

Keith Richards is one of finest rhythm guitarists in rock history. He didn't need any help from Brian Jones, especially when it comes to rhythm guitar.

On a similar note, Jimmy Page is also one the finest rhythm guitarists in rock history. There's no way Brian would've been able to come up with better rhythm guitar parts than Page.

I already addressed your point regarding live performances. Page had Bonham and JPJ backing him. He didn't need a rhythm guitarist.

I know you're playing a game here and at this point I have no idea why I'm playing along.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
    Amnion and Huxley like this.
  15. Milkweed

Milkweed Forum Resident

Taking it a step further, Brian Jones + Nickleback + Odetta could’ve been a very interesting—and perhaps great—combo.

16. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

Yep. Both have played slide parts equally as impressive.

But none of them are truly as impressive as the innovators they were copying: Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, Bukka White, Elmore James, Son House, Charlie Patton, Earl Hooker, JB Hutto…

Also, considering that Brian Jones was played rhythm and slide guitar in the Rolling Stones, Keef certainly did need him at the time. When Keef switched to primarily rhythm guitar post- Brian, the behind the beat groove that Brian and Charlie played was gone for good. In came rushed tempos and the sound of those early Stones classics was changed forever without Brian.

Ewan7 likes this.
  17. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

On what songs?
    You're making it sound like it was Brian's presence had something to do with the Stones changing their style to a more blues-rock type of thing around 1968, when in fact it had more to do with what the Beatles, Cream, Hendrix, The Who, etc. were doing at the time.

Take Jumpin' Jack Flash as an example. Keith plays the impressive acoustic rhythm guitar part (processed to make it sound like an electric guitar), and Brian doesn't play anything particularly interesting.

18. S. P. Honeybunch

A little research into how much Keith respected Brian's guitar playing would go a long way.

19. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

Why did he have to say about Brian? I'm genuinely interested.

Also, what does this have to do with your initial premise that Brian Jones would've been useful in Led Zeppelin? I've made my argument that Page would've given him very little freedom. You haven't responded to that.

By the way, we all know that you're not being serious with this thread.

20. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Very true. Just as there wouldn’t have been a Rolling Stones without Mick and Keith either…

21. Elmer McMuffin

Elmer McMuffin Forum Resident

The fascinating thing is that a mad theory that can't have taken more than 10 seconds to concoct has bequeathed 19 pages of discussion! Containing everything from fury to calm explanation and ridicule. What if Kurt Cobain had joined Black Lace, Elvis joined Showaddywaddy? Or Amy Winehouse joined Slipknot? 1) they didn't. Or wouldn't have. Or just weren't that sort of artist or in that place and 2) if they had, it would undoubtedly have been different - but like when Lou Reed joined Metallica, that's not necessarily a good thing.

healter skealter likes this.
  22. S. P. Honeybunch

The Mick Taylor years were some of the least interesting times for Keith, as Mick tended to focus more on lead guitar and leave rhythm to Keith. Keith liked that Brian and himself would trade off between the two, hence "the ancient art of guitar weaving".

jwoverho likes this.
  23. TDSOTM

TDSOTM Forum Resident

It's the opposite, actually. The only guitarists who could play rhythm guitar as well as Keith in those years were Pete Townshend, Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi. So Keith actually liked the fact that he had a solid lead player like Mick Taylor in the band, because he had more time to focus on what he was very, very good at.

By the way, you still haven't addressed my point regarding Brian joining Zeppelin. This post is what I'm referring to:

In June 1969, Should Led Zeppelin Have Asked Brian Jones to Join The Group?

24. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

In the whole world, or out of The Who, Zeppelin and Sabbath?
    (In other words: that's a mighty bold statement, my friend)

25. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

hendrix wiped the floor for rhythm gtr playing with those three