´In My Life´ appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Binni, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Binni

Binni Forum Resident Thread Starter

Written by: Lennon/McCartney
    Recorded: 18, 22 October 1965
    Producer: George Martin
    Engineer: Norman Smith

Released: 3 December 1965 (UK), 6 December 1965 (US)

John Lennon: vocals, rhythm guitar
    Paul McCartney: harmony vocals, bass
    George Harrison: harmony vocals, lead guitar
    Ringo Starr: drums
    George Martin: piano, tambourine

(http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/in-my-life/)

This has been my favourite Beatles song since I discovered the band in 1994 (some exiting times ahead then!). I first heard it on Imagine: John Lennon (soundtrack) which I borrowed from a friend. Everything fits together in this song: vocals, harmonies, guitar, bass, drums, piano, everything.

[​IMG]

2. supermd

supermd Senior Member

A perfect song. It's one of their best, and that's saying something.

3. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Lennon himself cited it as one of the best songs he ever wrote. Marian McPartland did a nice version of it when I saw her perform in the 90's.

audiomixer likes this.
  4. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

My favorite Fabs song. That intro and then "there are places I'll remember.."

supermd and theMess like this.
  5. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm always amazed by the songs on Rubber Soul, " In My Life" being a perfect example: When you really think about it, the arrangements and production on Rubber Soul are bare bones. Most demo records these days have a lot more...stuff, filling up the tracks.
    But, the songs on Rubber Soul don't sound like they are bare bones or they need more production. They are perfect in their simplicity.
    Maybe we are lucky the Beatles recorded in the 60's, not these days where they might be tempted to...fill 'em up. :D

6. MarioHead

MarioHead Forum Resident

This and "Something" are my favorite Beatles songs ever.

notesfrom and D-rock like this.
  7. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I've always loved the whole "reminiscing" part of "In My Life", about the past places and people. When it turns into "-- but nothing compares to you", it becomes more a love song than a reflection song. But I still think it's a gem.

8. Larry B

Larry B Senior Member

Case in point.... me.

It was my wedding song (love song) but we were still very tight with the family of her 1st husband who had passed away quite young (reminiscing part).

9. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

In My Life is one of their best songs and is a highlight of the excellent Rubber Soul album.

Scott

10. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I've always wondered who wrote the intro-guitar figure we all know and love. Lennon?, McCartney?, Harrison? It's a major component of the song.

11. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Such a wonderful song. I love the lyrics.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

Fantastic song. One of the best. Johns vocal really brings the lyrics home. Quite a performance.

Bill likes this.
  13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

You beat me to it. It's a great song.....but could've been greater if it continued along the lines of the opening verses.

ralph7109 and jeatleboe like this.
  14. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

One of only two Lennon/McCartney songs where the two of them disputed who wrote what (the other being Eleanor Rigby). Paul has stated the entire melody was his. John stated the song was his with a little help from Paul on the middle eight. I can't recall reading anything on who came up with the guitar intro but I've always assumed it was George (Harrison).

Hey Vinyl Man and notesfrom like this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The past/present contrast is an element that gives the song its dynamism. It shows a deep appreciation for the past but isn't stuck there, and realizes that for all the love and experience of the past, it's the present where it's at.

When In Rome, Jarleboy, Wade and 5 others like this.
  16. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

One of their best, and not bad demo material for a nice system either. I've wowed several people with this track of the mono vinyl box since I've had it. It really sounds nice turned up.

- Buck

17. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

My favourite Beatles song. It sums them up: The "John", the "Paul", the "George", the "Ringo" AND the George Martin-elements. You can hear and feel them all. Add to this, the most perfect lyrics in a hymn to the reflecting life, with a melody you will never forget once you have heard it.

Mr. H likes this.
  18. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Ringo's drums standout in that the song. Up there with some of his best drumming.

sami and Mr. H like this.
  19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Great song with great guitar chords. Shows the magic of The Beatles.

20. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

This marked a time when Ringo began to think much more in "drum patterns" instead of just the standard rockdrumming (that he was also a pioneer of). Though the main pattern was the one from Arthur Alexanders "Anna" which they covered on PPM. And they used it in All I've Got To Do and It's Only Love too.

Jose Jones likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I remember being floored at the melody and lyrics when I first heard this one.

22. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

George Martins sped up piano/harpsichord solo adds a beautiful touch to an already perfect song. One of John's greatest songs.

crispi likes this.
  23. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I was at the closing ceremony of Shea Stadium and as a big Mets fan, I had spent many days there from the time when I was a kid. At the conclusion of the ceremony, they played "In My Life" over the stadium PA as Tom Seaver and Mike Piazza walked out past second base, across the outfield and out through the centerfield fence.

While the song was playing, I thought about all the times I'd been there and all the people I'd been there with. Some are dead and some are living. There weren't many dry eyes in the Stadium by that point, as I suspect the lyrics were resonating with almost everyone there. Powerful song.

24. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member

It's simply one of the greatest pop music tunes ever written.

25. Joshua277456

Joshua277456 Forum Resident

This one and Nowhere Man are definitely on another level

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.