In praise of the Philips TDA1541/A/S1/S2 chips.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SKATTERBRANE, Apr 14, 2018.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Get an outboard DAC to upgrade the sound and you are set!

2. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have my Sony CDP-337ESD and my Marantz CD-94 through my main system. That system also has my Cambridge CXN (v2) streamer. And since I am running out of inputs, I put my Nakamichi CDC-3A through the DAC in the CXN because I do not care so much about sound quality when I am playing the changer as when I do it is for background music. THAT'S what I think about modern DACs compared to the TDA1541A machine's built in DAC! I am reserving another input for a Nakmichi CDP-2A that I am going to have recapped.

My bedroom system has another Nakamichi CDC-3A and my Phlips CD-960.

If I get the Philips CD880 I hope to get, I will have to set up another system to utilize it!

3. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

That’s what the EAD 7000mk3 is...an outboard DAC. IMO, an excellent DAC for its age.
    I should try some of the more recent DAC’s....like the new Bryston BDA3 or the Schiit Yaggi, but for now....

4. coopmv

Is EAD still around?

5. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

Unfortunately EAD is no longer in business. Noble electronics does support their gear, along with some upgrades/tweeks.
    I can say that my EAD DAC sounds a heck of a lot better than the built in DAC in the Philips CD80. With the ability to decode
    HDCD, the EAD 7000 Mk3 is still competitive with a lot of today's DAC's, IMO.

6. andyo5

andyo5 New Member

New member here. I have owned a McIntosh MCD-7007 for almost 20 years. It uses the Phillips TDA1541-S1 DAC and a Phillips transport. It is a great sounding player and is still going strong. I also have a Tascam player/recorder and a Yamaha 5 disc carousel.

7. coopmv

It sounds like most high-end CDP's used Philips DAC ...

8. SKATTERBRANE

Interesting, outside my love for the TDA-1541a machines, I also really love the sound of my Tascams.

9. coopmv

Has Teac or Tascam ever used any Philips DAC in their machines?

10. SKATTERBRANE

Teac Z-500 and Z-5000

11. coopmv

How about Teac's Esoteric line of CDP's?

Deano454 likes this.
  12. SKATTERBRANE

I understand they are very good, never owned one.

13. coopmv

Its last SACD player was $13,000 msrp and weighs a massive 40 lbs ...

14. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Just stumbled upon this thread, don't know how I didn't see it sooner. I have a Sony CDP-507ESD that contains the TDA1541A (x2) and it sure sounds sweet! I bought it for $9.99 at Goodwill last September. It's become my main disc player, except for an Oppo BDP-93 for when I want to play an SACD. When I bought it, I had no idea what DAC was inside or that there was any following for it. After fixing a problem with the drawer, I listened to it and loved what I heard. That's when I looked it up and figured out why it sounds so good.

Now I want to find more! I'm worried about how long the laser will last, since it's 30 years old and I don't know its history...

Bananas&blow and kevinsinnott like this.
  15. coopmv

Very interesting! Even Sony bought a Philips DAC ... :righton:

nick99nack likes this.
  16. JayNYC

JayNYC Chase that sound

curious if anyone knows a TD1541x based DAC that is solid state, has an AES input, and true balanced XLR outputs.

nick99nack likes this.
  17. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I always see the wired remote input on these old cd players. I've never seen anyone use one or even seen a wired remote

c-eling likes this.
  18. SKATTERBRANE

Me either.

19. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Many probably suffered a quick death via one of these little devils :laugh:
    [​IMG]

darkmatter likes this.
  20. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Awww so cute. I'd forgive her.

c-eling likes this.
  21. coopmv

Has anyone here heard of Philips SAA7824HL high-end laser?

It is used in the following

NuPrime CDT 8 Pro CD Transport

[​IMG]

But is it really Philips? Philips has been out of the audio electronics biz for a better part of a decade. It probably lent its Philips name to some other, probably Asian outfit ...

22. c-eling

If it's a transport it wouldn't have a DAC.

23. coopmv

I am really asking only about that Philips laser ...

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

Would be neat to know, nice looking player!

25. coopmv

Description for the deck shown above ...

Pro Quality CD Transport Upsamples to PCM and DSD
    The NuPrime CDT-8 Pro is a professional-quality CD transport. Its powerful DSP-based decoder provides all Red Book error-correction capabilities with master-clock control of the entire decoding system, thus lowering jitter significantly. The transport’s single speed minimizes vibration and unbalanced discs. A selectable sampling rate converter (SRC) upsamples the CD format to higher sampling rate with ultra-low jitter and distortion. The talented player supports CD-DA, CD-R, and CD-RW discs.

Highly Accurate CD Playback
    The CDT-8 Pro coaxes an amazing level of performance from CDs, taking the original silver disc further than you ever thought it could go. The powerful ARM chip LPC2103F CD reads, writes, and controls error correction, while the Philips SAA7824HL high-end laser reads and writes head control and decodes chips. Algorithmic processing reduces digital interference, resulting in extremely low jitter while maintaining sonic purity.

Sampling Rate Converter
    For outstanding sound quality, the sampling rate for CD playback can be upsampled to PCM and DSD, from 44.1kHz to 768 kHz or DoP256. The conversion is achieved by upsampling to mega hertz before down converting to the targeted sampling rate with resulting ultra-low jitter and distortion.

Four Digital Output Types
    The CDT-8 boasts four different digital outputs The Toslink digital output provides up to 24-bit, 192 kHz, DoP64 resolution and speed. The three other digital outs – coaxial, HDMI I2S, and AES/EBU – each offer up to 24-bit, 768 kHz, DoP256) performance. The coaxial output uses a dedicated isolation transformer for extremely low noise and jitter, and for ultimate performance the very low jitter I2S HDMI output is for professional use. Please note that this transport does not have analog outputs.

For very quiet performance, the CDT-8 uses a custom R-type professional transformer with shielding to keep out airborne radio-frequency noise and electromagnetic interference. For environmentally friendly operation, it uses low power consumption while in standby mode.

Included are NuPrime vibration-free isolation feet and a high-quality aluminum remote control. Choose either black or silver anodized aluminum finish.

c-eling likes this.