In praise of Uncut's 'Ultimate Music Guide'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yovra, Mar 2, 2016.

1. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Anyone seen a Ringo UMG in the US yet? Curious if it's made its way over yet.

2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

No...I even checked out the B&N today. What was the actual release date? It usually takes a month to find it's way here.

3. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I never found a copy of this anywhere, and although I’m not a big fan, I credit Uncut with doing the unpredictable.

Good grief, in depth reviews of every album! Pass.

smilin ed likes this.
  4. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Except there aren’t, everything post Bad Boy is covered far less thoroughly. Whether that’s a good or a bad thing is as per your post, somewhat debatable

rikki nadir likes this.
  5. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

You. Speak. Truth.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I saw it in B&N in New York yesterday- 2 different covers, a pic from the 60s and a pic from the 70s. I think the 60s one id a B&N exclusive in the US

7. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

johnnyyen likes this.
  8. Drummer49

Drummer49 Forum Resident

Picked up one yesterday at Books A Million, in Maryland, 60’s cover.

9. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Both Ringo covers at B&N in Wilkes Barre, Pa.

10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

What does the other cover look like?
    Edit-
    Nevermind I saw it on ebay.

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Hmmm...maybe next week? :shrug:

smilin ed likes this.
  12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Donovan ..issue ?

GuyDon likes this.
  13. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Nice to have the band back together
    [​IMG]

14. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Now I feel bad for only buying/wanting two of the four!

EG.

15. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, you should get the Lennon and McCartney Editions to complete your Collection(I read on this Forum that Harrison had the Best Solo Album, and assumed Ringo was the Most Popular Beatle:D, but not being that big of a Beatles Fan, had not bought any of their UMG Editions-maybe in the future with a Repress, but my money is better spent on other Music Artists I really like, who get The Ultimate Music Guide Edition, as these Magazines are costly. Although, I did just buy the King Crimson Edition, despite only owning 'In the Court of KC' and a Best of 2 CD Set and the Unseat Monkey Mind Live CD Box Set to explore more of their Music thinking if I buy more of their Albums in the future, I would regret passing on their UMG Edition).

16. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I tend to overlook most of the "classic" ones...unless it's an artist who interests me and the magazine will serve as a helpful guide to discovering their work. McCartney was a no-brainer purchase for me, and I often go back and re-read much of that issue every so often, and George's solo career is something I'd read very little about so again that will be perfect to go with the two Harrison boxsets I've bought in recent years.

EG.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  17. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Yes, mine arrived a couple of days ago. I picked up George's at the same time. I think it was like $28 US for both including shipping.

18. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I only have the McCartney one. It’s very good though.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  19. Pop_Zeus

Pop_Zeus Forum Resident

Just picked up Hendrix Deluxe guide, missed out on the original. Looks really good

20. csqmnem89

csqmnem89 Forum Resident

Saw ringo in Barnes and noble last week in local freehold nj store
    Still hoping for a mellemcamp or seger

siveld and Eric_Generic like this.
  21. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I would love an issue on Segar or Mellancamp, but I somehow doubt it would happen since I don't think either of them has a big enough profile in the UK (unlike Springsteen, who's as big in England as he is in America). I've been reading Uncut (and Mojo) for years, and don't recall ever seeing a profile of either of them in those mags.

Eric_Generic and Man at C&A like this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Get his autograph?

;)

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

You should have grabbed the Ringo magazine and asked him to sign it, I'm sure he would have been flattered.

24. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Looking at your Avatar, reminded me that I just got into Springsteen a few months ago(although bought the 3 CDs Essential Set about 6-8 years ago as a Starter Set), and bought the early 'Born to Run' Matrix Version recommended by Our Host where he said that it came down to his Vocals, as the the rest of the instruments would never sound good on 'BTR'. I also then bought an early EU CD for 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' and based on threads I have read about most of his Early Albums, sounds like the Remasters(2014 or 2015?) are the best option(especially for 'The River'), so a Rare Case where a recent Remaster is the Best option on CD.

My question is when was The Ultimate Music Guide' last done for Springsteen(assuming it was in recent years), as if it ever gets a Re-release(like was done for Kate Bush), I might pick it up(assuming it will get a Repress eventually).

I do not care for his Solo Folk-Rock Music(playing a Guitar with a Harmonica strapped to his Grille like Dylan and Young, whose Music I do not like), but mainly his Rock Music with the E Street Band. I liked that Song, 'The Rising', but had not kept up with his Music since hearing that Song. I streamed 'Western Stars', but only seemed to like 1 Song(think was the 2nd one) after one listen. I do like 'Born to Run' and Darkness on the Edge of Town' though, so assume I might like at least some of the Songs(like 'Blinded by the Light') from his first 2 Albums and 'The River'. Not sure if 'Nebraska' will appeal to me, but I will stream these Albums and most likely buy the Remastered Box Set(CDs) for his early Albums.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

It was Deluxe-d in 2015, copies are on eBay/Amazon and possibly from the publisher still. The original edition feels like about a decade ago, but I'm hopeless at pinpointing stuff like that these days!

EG.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.