In Quintessence: Squeeze (Difford & Tilbrook) Song-by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Jul 7, 2022.

1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

This EP also contains a version of “Take Me I’m Yours” with an alternate solo :cool:

2. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Damn, you're right, there's no sign of it anywhere. Let's hope it isn't a masterpiece...have you heard it ?

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It was also the official end of Squeeze, who broke up after the SNL performance.

And of course, were never heard from again....

4. prymel

prymel Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately, I haven't heard it.

Lance LaSalle likes this.
  5. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

There's another unreleased track circa the time of Disco Kid called Monkey. The link on youtube doesn't currently appear to be working, but it is playable for free on Amazon Music.

And from 1977-78, a track called On The Beach (youtube link works).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    Freek999 and prymel like this.
  6. prymel

Thanks! I will add both of these to the roster of post Squeeze extras.

7. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Mai Tem Baht and prymel like this.
  8. prymel

Great! I'll add this one as well.

9. prymel

Today we’ll begin the thread with Squeeze’s first release, their EP Packet Of Three. The EP was recorded in April 1977 at Pathway Studios in London for the Deptford Fun City Records label. It contained three songs produced by John Cale of Velvet Underground fame (who would go on to also produce Squeeze’s self-titled debut LP in 1978). The EP was released in July 1977, and reissued in November 1979. The EP’s three songs were re-released in 1990 on the "Annie Get Your Gun" CD single.

Packet of Three was released in both 7" and 12" vinyl formats. (The 12" did not have a picture sleeve) The EP's title comes from the UK term for a standard package of condoms. The photo on the sleeve of the EP was taken outside a pub in Haddo Street, Greenwich, SE London, close to the council flat at 35 Congers House, Bronze Street, Deptford, where Chris Difford was staying at the time.

Following is the track listing (all songs written by Difford and Tilbrook):
    1. "Cat On A Wall" – 3:10
    2. "Night Ride - 3:02
    3. "Back Track" – 2:21
    Personnel
    • Glenn Tilbrook - lead guitar, vocals
    • Chris Difford - guitars, vocals
    • Jools Holland - keyboards, vocals
    • Harri Kakoulli - bass
    • Gilson Lavis - drums

10. prymel

The first song up from Packet Of Three is “Cat On A Wall”

Cat on a Wall lyrics, Squeeze .

Written by Difford and Tilbrook

"Cat On A Wall" gained its first radio play in June 1977 on legendary North Sea pirate station Radio Caroline who gave the song extensive airplay. Jools Holland was a school friend of Radio Caroline DJ Mark Lawrence.

pablo fanques, BeSteVenn, ARL and 2 others like this.
  11. prymel

Cat On A Wall

I absolutely love this song. It's hard driving and fun. At first it's not even recognizable as a Squeeze song, but once Difford and Tilbrook start singing together, it's glorious. 5/5

12. curbach

I can’t say I get much out of the tracks on Packet of Three, but I think “Cat on the Wall” is the best of them. Nice raw energy, but not a lot of what makes Squeeze great is really evident here IMO.

13. curbach

I couldn’t remember what Difford and Tilbrook said about these songs in Squeeze Song By Song (highly recommended reading), and it turns out they said nothing which is telling enough I suppose. They do express admiration for Cale’s production and the sound he got out of the band. And Tilbrook says he has never sung the way he sings on “Cat on the Wall” before or since :)

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

I'd put Cat on a Wall in the same bag as XTC's first track "Science Friction"-- not a great song, but performed with such enthusiasm that they get away with it. I'm assuming they did this one before falling out with Cale-- He certainly produces them sympathetically here, making the band sound hard-charging and vibrant. Nothing about it makes you think "all-time classic pop band," but it does make you say "Hey, I'd like to see these guys live." And the vocal blend is there from the get-go. And I'm guessing this was a song they had and liked, not one of the ones they wrote quick after Cale threw everything out.

Still a real obscurity in the US where it only saw a very limited release, but it could certainly have replaced a couple of the dodgier tracks on the US debut. Wonder if it ever got played live after the first year or so?

3/5

StefanWq, Corvus, jupiter8 and 8 others like this.
  15. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

Just listened to my copy of Cat on a Wall -- not the most memorable song in the world. The harmonies are there, but not much else.

2/5

StefanWq, therunner and prymel like this.
  16. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Cat on a Wall is my favorite of the EP tracks by a wide margin and is the only one of the three I would have chosen for the debut album. That said, I dislike the ending.

3/5

17. Stillin Rockville

Stillin Rockville "it's not the band, it's the fans"

Kinda Who-ish in the early going, then settles into somewhat of a punk-ish mode for the rest of the song. It has a ton of energy but it's lacking the melody and wit I was sort of expecting (which in a way is unreasonable of me). Also sort of a surprise John Cale had a hand in this- so the educating has begun.

18. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

A driving rock song with a punky, energy: there are moments when I'm reminded a bit of the who, but the vocals are pure Squeeze -- what a distinctive sound those two have. And they had it right out of the gate.

I'm not sure if the melody is all that in this one, but the lyrics and energy and taut performance all work well for me. The unemphasized piano touches are slightly unexpected. It's fun and it's punky and it's a good kick off song, that would be memorable and distinct even if it had been the only thing they ever released.
    4/5

19. mrdardy

mrdardy Forum Resident

Had never heard this song before, my life is a bit better now that I have. Other than the vocals there is little to connect this song to the Squeeze of Argybargy/East Side Story which is when I fell in love with the band. It is always fascinating to hear early versions of a band as they are figuring out who they might be as artists. 4/5

20. blastfurniss

blastfurniss Forum Resident

Very much so. It was my introduction to the band and the start of them becoming one of my most cherished bands.

StefanWq, prymel and Lance LaSalle like this.
  21. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Count me in here. I only actually have Argy Bargy, East Side Story and Difford & Tilbrook so far, plus a greatest hits CD but have known them since Cool For Cats hit the charts in 1979.

I'll have a listen to the first song later on - I don't think I've heard anything pre-Cats before.

StefanWq, Lance LaSalle and prymel like this.
  22. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

A few years ago, someone sold an acetate for their 1977 RCA session (also containing an early, quite different take on 'Take Me, I'm Yours') on eBay. Very helpfully, they uploaded mp3s of both sides! Some lyrical changes were made for the EP version, possibly under the influence of John Cale, which made them nastier and more aggressive.

Cat On A Wall (1977 RCA Version)

[​IMG]

It was also recorded in an August 1977 session for the John Peel show, which is compiled on 'The Complete BBC Sessions' which appears to no longer be on streaming as far as i can see.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2022
  23. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Yeah, I'll probably only (numerically) rate the songs from the albums I am familiar with (the '80 to '82 stretch).

Nice energy on Cat on the Wall.

ARL, prymel and Lance LaSalle like this.
  24. The Sneak

The Sneak Forum Resident

The guitar solo on Another Nail In My Heart...magnificent!

25. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

This thread is cool for cats!

The Sneak, prymel and Lance LaSalle like this.