In Quintessence: Squeeze (Difford & Tilbrook) Song-by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Looking For A Love - decent cover, makes you consider the potential for using Paul's vocals twinned with Glenn's, had he remained in the band. 3/5

This might be a good time to post their cover of Nick Lowe's 'Too Many Teardrops' from 1981, another Glenn/Paul duet that never made it to the studio, as far as we know. Sadly Paul gets denied screen time for this one...

2. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Looking for Love is a good cover. I didn't know the song before so I am happy with the Squeeze version. Might have been good on a soundtrack or something. It's definitely not a typical Squeeze type song. It wouldn't have been a fit on ESS.

Score 3/5

3. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Speaking of cover versions, are there any covers of Squeeze songs by other artists? I'm sure there must be some but at the moment I couldn't think of any.

Rockford & Roll, KangaMom and Ken.e. like this.
  4. TomBart

TomBart Forum Resident

just a 3 for me

5. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Looking For A Love

This does nothing for me at all. I can see why covers can work well at concerts, maybe a cover from a local artist, or in an encore as something unusual, but I'm generally not a fan of my favourite bands performing covers, as I would rather listen to their own original, unique compositions as a mark of their creativity. And if Squeeze could take the time to record a proper studio version of a cover, then I would have preferred them to work one of their underdeveloped demo songs instead.

(re-reading that, it sounds grumpier than I intended, but hopefully you know what I mean)

2/5

6. prymel

prymel Forum Resident Thread Starter

There are at least six tracks on the yet unreleased Swindles Squeeze tribute album that have been released separately in the 2018-2020 time frame. They're pretty interesting - since we're talking covers, and we're in between albums, I'll post them here for audio perusal.

Mike Watt & The Secondmen - "In Quintessence"

7. prymel

Elvis Costello - "Someone Else's Heart"

8. prymel

Difford & Tilbrook w/ Robert Glasper & ?uestlove - "Take Me I'm Yours"

9. prymel

Erykah Badu & James Poyser - "Tempted"

10. prymel

Bilal & Nikki Jean - "Black Coffee In Bed"

11. prymel

Todd Rundgren - "Bang Bang"

12. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident

Definitely a Todd fan, but this just isn't very good. This song wasn't a masterwork to begin with, but I do enjoy the pseudo- punk energy of the original along with Glenn's lead vocal. Todd brings an uninspired autotuned vocal along with boring synth programming. I mean...why even bother?

Ken.e. and prymel like this.
  13. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Richard Thompson does a nice cover of "Tempted"

KangaMom, Ken.e., Mr. D and 2 others like this.
  14. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Sting also covered "Tempted" in concert.

KangaMom, Ken.e. and Mai Tem Baht like this.
  15. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Billy Bremner did "When Love Goes To Sleep", written by Glenn and Chris, although he released it long before Squeeze's version sneaked out.

This one may have already been mentioned in the thread, certainly Rockpile's version of "Wrong Again" and Paul Carrack's version of "Out Of Touch" have been mentioned.

16. prymel

Our votes for "Looking For A Love"
    1-0
    2-2
    3-14
    4-6
    5-0

Average: 3.0318

Updated Averages
    The Axe Has Now Fallen - 2.5676

17. prymel

18. Black Cat Surfboards

Black Cat Surfboards Forum Resident

Did I accidently click onto the Adam and the Ants, Song-by-Song Thread?

:D

I'm just not a fan of Squeeze sounding like this...I feel like every wonderful attribute Squeeze brings to the table is absent from this song.

"Trust" 2/5

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Never understood the point of this one. It’s pretty much a one joke song— or two jokes, since it makes fun of Adam & the Ants and Fleetwood Mac at the same time. I am sure they found it amusing, but it doesn’t stand as a song on its own. Worth the 90 seconds they give it, maybe not worth the cost of a 45.

2/5

20. prymel

Trust

Adam & The Ants are not a good look on Squeeze. The song is mercifully short, but the tumbling drums are gimmicky and annoying, and don't embellish the track in a particularly useful way. 2/5

21. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I'm gonna go out on a limb and give it 4/5... for a slightly noveltyish number, it's one of their better ones. Proper old-school use of a b-side to do something a bit out of the ordinary,

22. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Full disclosure: this is my first time hearing the song but I was aware that Squeeze had a b-side called Trust. I always found it weird that they had a song with the same title as the Elvis Costello album released around the same time. Did EC record a song call East Side Story during the Trust sessions?

Now having listened to the song what I find weirder is that it sounds exactly like Adam & the Ants, as others have duly noted.

2/5*

*My score is no slight on Adam & the Ants.

23. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Trust - 2

If I had bought the single for this non-LP B-side I would have felt ripped off.

24. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

hands down one of my all time favorites late 70's etc. so damn smart they were. brilliant, in fact.

I remember being at elektra as they broke on a&m ( well, they never really broke stateside excepting "tempted", perhaps ) and wondering why we didn't have them. best we had of that era was the cars.

25. alugjk

alugjk Senior Member

Trust

It's fun and to the point. A great use of a b-side.

4/5