In Quintessence: Squeeze (Difford & Tilbrook) Song-by Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by prymel, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Trust is not a bad b-side. When I hear it I have always thought of Tusk by Fleetwood Mac. The comparison of course is due to the drums and the delivery of the lyric Trust. When I started reading the comments I had to also agree with the Adam and the Ants connection as well. It's an okay song that luckily doesn't make it to 2 minutes. I actually don't mind it on my Squeeze Gold CD but glad it was not on ESS.

Score 2.8/5

BeSteVenn, therunner, BZync and 5 others like this.
  2. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

Interesting how much dislike trust is getting. I get why people might not like it as much as I do (I like it a lot for some reason) but I wouldn't have thought it was as unlikable as it seems to be.

4.4/5

EDIT: Also, in my mind's eye, this song can never be sung into a stand or handheld microphone - it has to be a headset, right?

BZync, jupiter8, Ken.e. and 5 others like this.
  3. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Trust
    OK, I'm not really hearing the Adam and the Ants aspect to this. It reminds me more of drum drill teams. It's so martial....which is just bleh to me.
    Honestly I would have preferred to have it sound more like Adam and the Ants (I mean, I love Antmusic)...or perhaps more new wave.
    The lyrics do nothing for me...or maybe it's just that I've tuned out the song. I do agree with the idea that b-sides should be more experimental though. I mean why not?

1/5

EDIT: OMG, yes, Tusk by Fleetwood Mac....no wonder I don't like it...

therunner, BZync, prymel and 5 others like this.
  4. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

nailed it. i had never heard this "trust" track ever. but i have heard ant music.

ants are relentless predators. stand and deliver - your riff or your life.

KangaMom, prymel, Ken.e. and 2 others like this.
  5. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

"Trust" is quite a weird song, with just lead vocals, vocal harmonies and very intense drumming for about 90 seconds. If one reads the lyrics before listening to the song you might expect a piano ballad or something so this track really surprises. While not a great track by any means it is a quite fun B side.
    3/5

therunner, BZync, KangaMom and 6 others like this.
  6. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

adam ant could have simply sampled "trust" for his "ant music". that's how "close" it is.

tusk. not so much. that was a real drum team. USC's - was it not?

memory. it's the second thing to go....

7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Trust.

And we're back to annoying drums, though at least this has a point of spoofing Adam and the Ants, who I think are underrated in the grand scheme of things, but still.

In the end, though this is a good B-side and does exactly what B-sides should do: sound kind of trashy, throwaway, have a sense of fun and basically never ever ever provide serious competition for an album track.

2.7/5

alugjk, Mr. D, therunner and 9 others like this.
  8. Revaulx

Revaulx Forum Resident

Trust

An obvious sendup of Tusk, with the drums being given a Bow Wow Wow /Adam & the Ants feel. The contrast between the rather martial music and the pleadingly romantic words is really quite funny.

A bit of a throwaway, and I wouldn’t want it on an album, but it’s got character and makes a good B-side.

3.5/5

BZync, KangaMom, prymel and 4 others like this.
  9. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Trust"

Well, you can't accuse Squeeze of not being topical - Adam and the Ants were everywhere at the start of 1981, and this is a direct lift of the drums from "Kings of the Wild Frontier". As someone who liked them enough to buy that album, I don't have a problem with this track. It's very slight as a song, but is still enjoyable and doesn't outstay its welcome at all. Good b-side material. In a day or so we have another example of Squeeze riffing on one of the fads of 1981. 3/5.

alugjk, BZync, KangaMom and 7 others like this.
  10. wino14

wino14 Forum Resident

I've always loved Trust

4/5

BZync, KangaMom, jupiter8 and 5 others like this.
  11. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

The lyrics to "Trust" read more like a proposal of marriage than a knock-off of a pop music flash-in-the-pan or a popular juggarnaut. Considering the diversity of musical styles on East Side Story, it's possible to see "Trust" musically being another shot in the dark among the rockabilly, country, neo-soul, etc. experiments that Squeeze tried out during this the heyday of the British New Wave. I can imagine it was hard for Glenn to decide what to do when handed this set of lyrics, so he went for a very unexpected setting for lyrics which actually read to be very heartfelt on Chris's part. If Glenn had written music for the lyrics of "Trust" that resembled the music he provided for say "Tempted" or "Vanity Fair", the song would have been disastrously mawkish. Instead he went for the unexpected, and while "Trust" doesn't really succeed, I do like it. Squeeze took something that could have been very embarrassing and turned it into something fun.

I like "Trust". 3.9/5

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    alugjk, jupiter8, therunner and 8 others like this.
  12. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

"Trust" -- 3/5

Perfectly serviceable b-side. They can't all be buried gems, can they?

jupiter8, BZync, KangaMom and 6 others like this.
  13. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Trust - My kind of quirky and fun B-side. 3/5

jupiter8, BZync, Bill Diercks and 6 others like this.
  14. Chartstuff

Chartstuff Forum Resident

It's slight. 2/5

Ken.e., Mr. D, KangaMom and 2 others like this.
  15. catnip nation

catnip nation Forum Resident

The Burundi beat is of the time. The time being Adam and Bow Wow Wow........let's face it, Squeeze were a weak B side group....nearly 80% of all of them just don't cut it. There are rare exceptions though.
    3/5

Ken.e., prymel, ARL and 2 others like this.
  16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

"Trust" - surprised how much everyone dislikes this one- I always felt the Adam & the Ants/Bow Wow Wow connection but never made the connection to "Tusk" - oddly, I've always liked the melody of the song and Glenn's enthusiastic vocal - like others have said the perfect use for a b-side, much more satisfying than several of the "meh" b-sides we've reviewed so far that sound like weak tea versions of the Squeeze formula. 4/5

Ken.e., intv7, BZync and 5 others like this.
  17. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Well that drum riff from Antmusic appears in quite a few songs by various artists at about the same time. I guess everyone was using the same programming! Yeah, Tusk. I shouldn't have been so grumpy about it. I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. I agree that those are real drums (I don't know if they are actually from USC - they certainly are in the music video)... but in any case, they kind of went for kind of the whole marching band idea but with just enough variation to make it seem less like the marching band was doing a cover of some song.

In the case of Trust I just get the idea that the marching band decided to come up with a song....that's not necessarily a good thing and disappointing coming from Squeeze (and not a knock on marching bands or high school bands generally - after all my kid did 4 years in high school band!)

Ken.e., rkt88, prymel and 1 other person like this.
  18. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

So in 1981 Squeeze did a 50s rock & roll track, an Adam and the Ants track, and coming up shortly a Stars on 45 track. Did they cover all the 1981 bases by doing a Human League parody as well?

Ken.e., KangaMom, prymel and 3 others like this.
  19. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Trust is a great b-side. It does what a b-side is supposed to - it shows off a different side of the band that may not be consistent with the flavor of the album. As a b-side I'd give it a high rating.

But I found a number of songs on East Side Story I didn't care for or feel were of the quality I have come to expect from the band. Although Trust is slight, it is more exciting and interesting than a few of the album tracks. I can't help but wonder if swapping it with one of those would have made the album a better listening experience. Based upon it's place within the entire catalog, I give it a 3/5.

Ken.e., KangaMom, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Both Ants and Bow Wow Wow took it from here:

alugjk, Ken.e., KangaMom and 2 others like this.
  21. benny

benny Senior Member

I was at the same show as you and it was one of my favorite all time shows! My memories of it are that it was one of those days where the stars aligned. My wife and I drove down from Connecticut without any tickets just hoping for the best. Drove down 14th St. looking for a parking spot and there was one pretty close to right in front of the Palladium. Parked, and got out and the first person I saw asked if we were looking for tickets, yes! Got two tickets on the floor about 1/2 way back on the right.

I was a huge Squeeze and Elvis fan at the time (still am), so this was as good as it gets. Terrific show. Glenn came out and played From A Whisper To A Scream with Elvis. And I think Elvis came out for Squeeze's last song (although I'm not positive about that). As for the set list I could have sworn they opened with Another Nail, then If I didn't Love You. Could be wrong though. Also bought a English Mugs tour T-shirt on the way out.

GLENN, Ken.e., KangaMom and 6 others like this.
  22. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Trust

While I agree you can't argue with a bit of experimentation on a b-side, and while Glenn presumably had fun writing in a different musical style, unfortunately I don't get much fun out of listening to the result which is mercifully short.

2/5

Ken.e., KangaMom, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  23. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

I think this is maybe the later mix from around 79-80? This purports to be the first version released in 1971 although I am sure the later one is the version that likely influenced the Ants etc

https://youtu.be/N8ba0gwBmUU

24. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yes, the later version loses the really cool fuzz guitars that were on the original.

Ken.e., KangaMom and jupiter8 like this.
  25. BZync

BZync Senior Member

That was YOU???? :)