"IN SEARCH OF..." - T.V. Series, 1977-1982

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

In Search of...
    [​IMG]
    In Search of... title screen
    Created by Alan Landsburg Productions (original series)
    Presented by Leonard Nimoy
    Mitch Pileggi
    Zachary Quinto
    Country of origin United States
    Original language English
    No. of episodes Syndicated: 144 (+ 4 specials)
    Revival: 8
    History Channel revival: 18
    Production
    Running time
    23 minutes
    Production companies Alan Landsburg Productions (Original)
    Universal Television Alternative Studios (2nd revival)
    Distributor Rhodes Productions (original series)
    Release
    Original network
    Syndicated
    Sci-Fi Channel
    History
    Original release April 17, 1977 – March 1, 1982
    October 4, 2002 – November 22, 2002
    July 20, 2018 - November 29, 2019

Many memories of this TV series. Interesting subjects and an incredible erie soundtrack always made it an entertaining twenty+ minute ride. Leonard Nimoy would be an incredible host and the reason this TV show has stuck with me all these decades later.

Share memories, your favorite episodes even parts of the beautiful soundtrack you might like. I even bought the complete dvd set about eleven years ago. Great TV memories from a different time, dated but I love it.

mcchocchoc, jbmcb, altaeria and 16 others like this.
  2. Psychedelic Good Trip

One of my all time favorite episodes.

cs2003, Groovy, YardByrd and 3 others like this.
  3. Psychedelic Good Trip

The soundtrack on this episode is absolutely wild. Interesting episode as well.

hi_watt, SimonSaysCake, Sean and 4 others like this.
  4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

IN SEARCH OF had an episode about earthquakes that totally wigged me out as a kid growing up in Seattle.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Alan Landsburg Productions was a cheap, rotten outfit and not good to work for -- that much I can tell you. He's been dead almost ten years now -- not a nice person.

hi_watt, Steve Litos, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  6. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

My wife bought the DVD box set as a Christmas gift for me a few years ago. It's a little cheesy as I watch it now but it does bring back so many great memories of watching it as a kid in the 1970s. It was such an interesting show back then.

7. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

I remember being traumatised by, of all things, an episode on John The Baptist. The beheading scene haunted me for years afterwards. I must have been all of 3 or 4 years old, and the show was likely on repeat in the 1980s when I saw it.

Note: Watching it again just now on YouTube, the scene is relatively weak sauce - but suggestive enough to traumatise a child waiting for an episode of CHiPs to begin. :)

hi_watt, Dan C, Max Florian and 3 others like this.
  8. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I think the great theme song, the Leonard Nimoy narration, and the fact that it was done on film rather than videotape helped distinguish it from most of the weekend syndicated shows in the 70s, and camouflaged the series’ weaknesses.

9. Scowl

Scowl Forum Resident

This is now one of the funniest shows to me because so many of these stories have been debunked and discredited. Back then I really thought these mysteries would be solved. Hell, Mr. Spock told me that the answers to the mystery of Bigfoot were "just around the corner" yet the 55 year old Patterson/Gimlin footage is still the best alleged evidence of Bigfoot! I mean we're now in the futuristic year of 2023 yet people are still rehashing these same old stories.

10. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

LOVED this show! I remember catching an episode about KILLER fire ants that were then advancing to the United States border from Mexico. I was all of like 8 years-old and I remember running around the house afterwards shouting, "That's it! We're ALL gonna DIE!"

By the time I was in the third grade (1979), we were forced EVERY week to go down to the school's library and sign out a NEW book, every damn week. When our class went down to the library every Monday to do this I ran into TWO problems: 1). I HATED reading/books and 2). the areas of the library that were "popular" (fiction mostly) were swamped - you literally could not even get to the books! So, what this forced me to do was explore the less popular sections of the Dewey Decimal System. In the late 70's, this meant the NONFICTION of the 000's to the 600's, so I found myself browsing amongst those sections, all by myself. Now guess what was contained in those sections? Books on mysteries and unexplained phenomena, tornadoes, witchcraft, astronomy, ghosts, U.F.O.s, monsters, as well as books on disasters like the Hindenburg. So, watching In Search of... on Saturday evenings with my Dad (also a big fan) heavily influenced my library card use come Monday.

bekayne, hi_watt, altaeria and 9 others like this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Now this episode was a trip. Between the dream sequences and the incredible soundtrack this episode has stayed with me for almost fifty year's.

hi_watt, YardByrd and longdist01 like this.
  12. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

One of the last shows of the Syndicated "checkerboard" era of television. If you lived in NYC, the NBC affiliate there would offer either In Search Of..., Sha Na Na, or Family Feud (Syndicated version of ABC game show; the last one became twice a week in 1979, and eventually daily in 1980).

13. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

I enjoyed watching the DVD set recently. Really captures the pseudoscience zeitgeist that was the 70s. Bigfoot, ancient astronauts, and ESP... oh my.

Shot and edited on film which is still cool to watch.

hi_watt, Steve Litos, Dan C and 4 others like this.
  14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I rewatched a few of these recently and they're pretty awful, and the way things were framed (dishonestly) to give credence to the outlandish ideas was hilariously transparent to me as an adult. Still, the 10 year old in me loves how creaky and campfire story-level the writing is, as much as I can acknowledge that the whole show was ridiculous.

15. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

Loved this show too as a kid. It reminds me of going to my grandparent's house as we ended up watching it if it was on. It sure creeped me out but I bought the DVD set a few years back.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At the time, I thought, "well at least poor Leonard Nimoy is working!"

17. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

It would be cool if a box set of all the music was released. Ide buy that.

18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks for sharing. ; )

19. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Maybe it kept him from starting his own Psychic Network/Hotline... ;)

20. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

So loved this show. It was shown late Sunday afternoons iirc.
    In search of ...Bermuda Triangle, Anastasia, Emile Earhart, Bigfoot...
    And yes, I saw an episode or two more recently ... and couldn't believe how tacky and badly b grade it all was lol.

21. I saw Leonard Nimoy in this before I ever saw a Star Trek episode. The first time I saw Spock I knew him as that In Search Of guy.

The same thing happened with Peter Graves. I saw him on Discover: The World of Science on PBS before Mission: Impossible.

22. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

There is a fun podcast, In Research Of, where the hosts review each episode and playfully debunk the contents (or praise, in the rare times when the show wasn't being dishonest about a subject). To warn in advance - the episodes run as long as two hours, which of course is longer than any of the episodes they are reviewing. The two hosts are engineers, I think.

Each episode of the podcast also features a Leonard Nimoy fashion break, where the hosts discuss what Leonard wore in the episode of the show they are discussing.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  23. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

If you can find it, the In Search Of... soundtrack LP is a very enjoyable listen. The music is all in the style of 70s library music, with strings, disco beats and fuzz guitar. Nothing from Brian Eno, whose ambient music was (allegedly) used in one episode. The LP is credited to The In Search Of... Orchestra, but I suspect it's just pre-created library music.

I don't have a vinyl copy, but I do have a set of mp3s someone ripped from the vinyl and uploaded to the Internet.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    IndyTodd, Solaris and Dave112 like this.
  24. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

One of the guys from the Oak Island cashgrab series first saw the mystery on In Search Of.

jbmcb, Dave112, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  25. AndyTaylor

AndyTaylor Forum Resident

Here’s a quirky short story inspired by the series which shares the same title that I heard on audio a decade plus ago and it stuck with me. It’s probably better as an audiobook.

In Search Of - Apex Magazine