Inadvertent Masterpieces: Compilations that are brilliant in their own right.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Sep 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Very strange isn't it? Is there a chart hit that's more difficult to find by such a major artist on CD? I doubt it.

I don't think the 'big band' version is available anywhere on CD in decent quality.

2. Bungo

Bungo Forum Resident

linklinc, JoeF., wrappedinsky and 8 others like this.
  3. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me. Thread Starter

It's funny - some of the bands who have compiled to death (I'm thinking of The Clash and the Who) aren't really part of this discussion (save for Meaty, Beauty which is just early stuff.)

I love the Clash, but I can't say their comps were particularly compelling. Just an expected collection of top tracks. Same for post meaty, beaty Who.

4. Jo B

Jo B Forum Resident

Neil Diamond - Hot August Night

Harry Baleson likes this.
  5. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

One I don't think has been mentioned but should qualify:

The Carpenters - The Singles 1969-1973

6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I have a soft spot for Complete Madness, would love to get a copy of that, it was one of the records I didn't bring from the UK, due to temporary insanity.

Sneaky Pete and rogertheshrubber like this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I just listened to both last week. Both examples of compilations where the artist spent time preparing special mixes and edits especially for the release.

I’d also have to agree with Sly & The Family Stone’s GH.
    One that I just thought of that I enjoyed when it came out was The Beatles’ LOVE SONGS. A very classy compilation.

8. Colocally

I was going to mention that. I love the sequencing and have since I first heard it.

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

There's also compilations that should be incredible, like The Best of David Bowie 1969-1974 and 1974-1979, but just aren't.

Both are full of great, genuinely classic songs but are a mess. Randomly thrown together with many bad single edits (though some are good) as well as cheap looking artwork. With nowhere near as much music and classics missing, ChangesoneBowie is so much more satisfying to listen to, and looks great.

Putrifiers II likes this.
  10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Four pages of thread posts and no one has mentioned : ' Legend - Buddy Holly ' or any Holly collection !
    Without him who can say what music would be like today.
    '

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Love Songs is classy. Possibly the only Beatles compilation that does what it's supposed to do well and looks good.

The rest are all flawed in some way, often missing classics like Strawberry Fields Forever. 1967 - 1970 is excellent too, but obviously only tells half the story and 1962 - 1966 is nowhere near as well compiled as it.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Not just single-artist compilations, what about various great multi-artist tribute albums, and other projects.

Will The Circle Be Unbroken is a primary example, even though I don't care for the music.
    Hall Willner's tributes to Monk, Disney, Kurt Weill, Leonard Cohen, and the whole ovure he's worked in.
    And various "lounge" compilation projects such as the Hotel Costes series of modern chill, electronica and downtempo music, curated by Stephane Pompongac: these are compilations of high-quality artists not enjoying a continuous popularity due to their "lounge music" nature. I'm particularly enamored with Jose Padilla's Cafe del Mar series, myself.

peter1 and Man at C&A like this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

A good Buddy Holly compilation is essential, but there's so many similar ones that it's hard to chose just one. Just because they were the first ones, The Buddy Holly Story volumes 1&2 would be my picks, but you do need both!

I don't own the Hoffman mastered From the Original Master Tapes, but it could be the one. Classic after classic and not too long.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Kingsley Fats and Colocally like this.
  14. blivet

blivet Forum Resident

Yeah, Hot Rocks, at least in the US, is the ur-example of a compilation that just about everybody owned, and that shaped the listening public's perception of the artist.

15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

This was the comp I was looking for. As mentioned above, in the early 80's, this album turned me on to 'The Godlike Genius of Scott Walker'!

rogertheshrubber and willy like this.
  16. BornBeforeTheWind

BornBeforeTheWind Forum Resident

Here’s one that’s not a best of and was derided when it came out. The Stone’s Metamorphosis. It may have been a cynical studio money-grab, but I love it.

Willowman, geo50000, DTK and 3 others like this.
  17. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

And I'd add Through The Past Darkly and another favourite, Fleetwood Mac's Pious Bird Of Good Omen.

All Down The Line likes this.
  18. BroJB

An absolutely brilliant comp, but poorly promoted and so mostly unknown. Also inexplicably not available on vinyl, considering it's one of the most vinyl-worthy things you will ever hear.

[​IMG]

19. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Forum Resident

Somethin’ Else: The Fine Lookin’ Hits of Eddie Cochran
    Elmore James: The Ultimate Collection
    The Screaming End: The Best of Gene Vincent
    Time for Love: The Best of Julie London
    Slim Harpo Rocks

Greg Gee and unclefred like this.
  20. BroJB

Some essential Stones there, including Goin Down and Jiving Sister Fanny. Cover of I Don't Know Why is great too.

A couple clunkers, but still excellent. If the Stones put out a record near this good now I'd wet myself.

21. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Disc 2 is like a rarities collection. In addition to the tracks already mentioned:

Mixed Up Confusion (but it's in mono)
    Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window?
    Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues (the b-side of the "I Want You" 45, a killer live version from 1966 UK concert, searing guitar solo by Robbie Robertson)

22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Is that version of Mixed Up Confusion the original 45 mix? Also, if you know, is the version of Corrina Corrina on the B-side available anywhere, or is it just the same as on The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan? I don't know what versions the single used and it's so rare.

I have the I Want You 45. Agree it's a killer version of Just Like Tom Thumbs Blues on the B-side.

23. BroJB

Crosby, Stills & Nash "So Far" is another one of those comps of the type that often comprised the entirety of folks' collection of an artist. The perfect amount for a casual fan and one of the easiest records to digest imaginable. I'm not a CSN fan, but an occasional late night outdoors listen to "So Far" is one of life's pleasures.

24. Colocally

I bought this in the late 80s on cassette and for over 10 years thought it would be the only Byrds album I would need, and loved every single track on it.
    The Byrds - The Byrds Collection

TonyG likes this.
  25. MisterNines

MisterNines American

Beatles – "YESTERDAY"...AND TODAY

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Not very good SQ, but quite exciting tracklist for us Americans.

Honorable Mention:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.