Incredible Jazz Sale At Concord/OJC - Not Necessarily Good News

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by bresna, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

Just a heads up to everyone. I just got a call from Concord, and it turns out they don't ship to P.O. Boxes. So if you gave them a P.O. Box, either call them, or they will be calling you.

2. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

I'll breathe a sigh of relief once I hit the in-box & lay eyes upon that 'we've shipped your...' e-mail. ;)

3. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

Get checkin' then, as I received the shipping confirmations for my 2 orders today. :righton: Says they will ship on 7/18. Everything in my orders was marked as "shipped". Fyi, though, the shipping confirmations were caught up in Yahoo's spam filter, so you may need to check your e-mail's spam filter for the shipping confirmations.

This is what it looks like for my second (smaller) order:

Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1927-2 Teddy Charles - New Directions $5.98
    Ship Date: 7/18/2006
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1937-2 Teddy Charles - Teddy Charles & Prestige Jazz $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 CCD-3505-2 Hampton Hawes Trio - Hampton Hawes Trio, Vol. 1 $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 CCD-3523-2 Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes/The Trio: Vol. 3 $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1870-2 Randy Weston Trio - Get Happy $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1785-2 Lem Winchester Sextet - Lem's Beat $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1930-2 The Birdlanders - The Birdlanders, Vol. 1 $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1931-2 The Birdlanders - The Birdlanders, Vol. 2 $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 PRCD-7109-2 Miles Davis - Bag's Groove $5.98
    Ordered: 1 Shipped: 1 OJCCD-1744-2 Ted Curson - Ted Curson Plays Fire Down Below $5.98

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

I also received a confirmation from Concord today - both the Coltrane and Evans boxes are shipping 7/18 :righton:

That was my second (also smaller) order, though. Still no word on the single disc order I placed.

Chris

5. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Thanks for the info on the spam filters sure enough my confirmation was in there.

6. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Received shipping confirmation on this order today. Hope my first order, placed a day earlier, has the same outcome.

Cheers

7. Geoman076

Geoman076 Sealed vinyl is Fun!!

They must be removing titles as they become unavailalbe. When the sale started there were 225 Jazz titles on sale. Now there is only 223. Art Pepper "Smack Up" is now missing.

8. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Kevin, thanks for the heads-up about this sale. I think this is the first time I've ever ordered so many CDs at once, but I'm catching up on so many classic titles. Thanks!

9. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Hi,

Can somone recommend some K2s? I was thinking of getting all the Wes Montgomery ones, but from what I've read they aren't well mastered. Should I still get them? I believe the original OJCs are OOP.

10. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

If you on a budget and choose to limit yourself to $150 or so ( ;) ), I suggest starting with the OJC Limited Edition titles with the round OJC logo (as opposed to the square logo for the regular OJCs) on the booklet. These are the ones with the higher ($14.99 or something like that) list price.

The titles available as K2 have been issued time and time again and will definitely be redone in the future (maybe even by someone like our host ... hopefully). However, the OJC Limited Edition titles are most likely not coming back once they're gone. Get 'em while you can, indeed.

BTW, for those who do not know, OJC = Original Jazz Classics = Fantasy's regular line of jazz reissues :wave:

11. ec461

ec461 Forum Resident

Thanks for the quick response. I'm just getting into jazz by means of Kenny Burrell, Grant Green and all the other greats on Blue Note. Consequently, I don't know much about the Fantasy catalog.

Any particular recommendations for the OJC Limited Editions?

12. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

These are titles by artists on the fringe of popularity ... but this doesn't mean they're not any good. There are many gems among them.

Nat Adderley - A Little New York Midtown Music (with Johnny Griffin)
    Walter Bishop Trio
    Ted Curson Plays Fire Down Below
    2 titles by Don Friedman
    Benny Golson's Stockholm Sojourn
    Hampton Hawes/Freddie Redd - Piano: East West
    Jimmy Heath - Swamp Seed
    2 Elmo Hope titles
    Bobby Jaspar
    The Jones Boys

I was just going through the available list at the Concord site to come up with the list above and there are so many other good stuff here. I only reached the letter J before getting exhausted. ;)

I also remember seeing titles by Randy Weston, Jimmy Woods, Freddie Redd, Rex Stewart, Bill Perkins, and Dewey Redman from this series.

Have fun. Explore. Get some help from Wiki or Allmusic if you'd like. :) I can't wait for my order to arrive.

13. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Okay, I still haven't gotten my confirmation email that my massive order of OJC CDs and limited-editions has been filled, but I guess it's okay (now that my order has a two day lead time to the warehouse) to let the cat out of the bag now: It's the round-logo limited-edition titles that are the real gems of this sale. ;)

The K2 titles will be remastered again soon, I'm sure.... However, I don't know when you'll find those titles in any format (OJC, K2, SACD, etc.) brand new for less than $2.98 each - certainly not soon after they're remastered again.

So if you want the more popular jazz music (maybe you are just dipping your toes into jazz for the first time) and aren't particular about the mastering, go for the K2s while they're cheap.

Craig(VC).

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I'd second the recommendation to take this chance to explore some of the OJC Limited Editions on the cheap. At $2.98 apiece you can find out if you like some of these lesser heralded folks or not. For example, I'd suggest checking out the Curson and Don Friedman, as ashlee5 mentioned as well as Walt Dickerson and Lem Winchester, two great vibists. The Curson date, PLAYS FIRE DOWN BELOW, may be his best recording and is a classic IMHO - every collection should include it.

15. floyd

floyd Senior Member

wow I made a $235.00 order Friday and got an email saying everything shipped the same day. Everything was in stock. The two big boxsets and 30 single titles. I wish they had sent the fedex tracking number.

16. jeffrey r

jeffrey r Member

You may want to double-check your e-mail again. If it's like most of us, it actually lists a shipping date of 7/18, which is Tuesday.

17. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Ya, I placed my order on wednesday and got an email confirming my order the same day, but I still havent received an email that says my order has been sent. I am expecting to get an email Monday that says the order will be shipped on Tuesday.

18. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Darn, I have not gotten any response from Concord since the initial 'we got your order' message. I even emailed them this morning to ask for order status but they haven't replied yet. I hope they're not holding the huge orders aside until they can clear out all of the smaller orders that have been received more recently... Because that wouldn't be fair! (fake pout emoticon)

Craig(VC).

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member Thread Starter

Nope! I got my shipping notice (with a FedEx tracking number) for my 30 CD order this afternoon. :)

I think they are simply overwhelmed right now.

FWIW, they are e-mailing some people that some titles are going out of stock so the earlier you got your order in, the better your chances of getting it all.

Kevin

20. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Ya, I havent got a notice either. When did this sale start? I got my order in on Wednesday

21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I got my shipping notice/FedEx tracking link today - all 36 individual CDs plus the Coltrane boxed set have SHIPPED! :)

22. Steve-oh

Steve-oh Senior Member

Got an email this evening that my 31-disc order shipped today - for what it's worth, I ordered on Saturday.

23. Tjazz

Tjazz Breakfast at (a record store)

So does anyone care to added up all the CDs purchased from forum members?

24. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

The order confirmation was received from [email protected]. Was the shipping notice also from this address? (I screen e-mail with a white list, just checking if there is another address I should be listing to get this shipping notice)

25. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I have a sealed copy of the DCC Gold 2 disc set "Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Cole Porter Songbook" that I would be willing to trade for a copy of the John Coltrane Prestige box on sale at the Concord site for $69.98.

You'd have to get the Coltrane box shipped to yourself in the US and then mail it to me in Canada (which would cost another $12.00 US or so).

My offer is negotiable depending on how much you think the Ella DCC Gold is worth. PM me if interested...

Thanks,

John
    Vancouver BC Canada

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.