Indiana Jones coming to DVD (finally!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Holy Zoo, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

That it is...great site, all around. I do hope--unlikely as it will be to happen--that LAST CRUSADE is presented both in letterbox and pan and scan versions. Shot in Super35, both presentations have picture information the other does not, and both are valid in their own way, though my bet is they'll opt for the widescreen theater ratio. Also good is that these will be in discrete 5.1, not the faux 5.1 used for so many older titles.

About time, and most welcome!

ED:cool:

3. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

November... I guess I can wait till then..

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have seen conflicting information, but I was under the impression that "Last Crusade" was shot anamorphically like the other films (and every other scope aspect ratio film Douglas Slocombe ever shot). In any case, if a film was framed for 2.35:1, that's how it should be shown. On the flip side, if a TV show is framed for 4:3 and "protected" for 16:9 (such as the 1st season of the Sopranos), I would rather have the 4:3 version.

Regards,

5. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I agree with Ken. The issue is what aspect ratio the movie was framed for. And though James Cameron would disagree, I don't think you can frame a movie for two aspect ratios simultaneously.:)

The trailer does look gorgeous--the first time I've seen color that really holds a candle to the way the film looked in the theatres. (I think I saw the first film about eight times on the big screen.)

My one big complaint is that there is no such film as Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Maybe the deluxe deluxe deluxe edition will include a sixth disc with the original film on which this "new one" is based.:rolleyes:

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I don't understand:confused:

7. Ed Bishop

Now that you mention it, I do believe LAST CRUSADE was shot in Panavision, but framed as if it were Super35; that is, the main action is in the middle, whereas when shooting anamorphically, the sides of the frames are just as important as everything else. But yes, the wide ratio will certainly be used.

THE SOPRANOS, being a TV show, brings on a curious conundrum. Although the HTF crowd--typically--take as gospel whatever the creators say is correct, this is another example of the contradiction. The DVD's are all letterboxed for 16:9, and recent seasons had the show simulcast in 16:9 and full-frame. So what is correct? Apparently both! One of my points over at HTF was that BABYLON 5 began full frame, then, later on, went letterboxed. So what's correct? Well, at the time, the full frame; later, allowed to remaster, the letterboxed version. That brought on the endless BUFFY thread about what the correct apsect ratio should be. Since both wide and fullframe have been issued--though not in the same regions--logic suggests both are valid. Not to HTF's embedded bunch: what Joss Whedon says is gospel. Then THE X-FILES recent DVD boxes went letterboxed, though only ONE program from the most recent box was actually shown wide. So what is correct? I have no idea, I just buy 'em.

Makes one wish for the old days of the '50s, when wide was wide, full frame was full frame, and the lines were, on the main, drawn clear.

8. Ken_McAlinden

IIRC, the first two seasons of the Sopranos were framed for 4:3 inside a "protected" 16:9 frame that was "opened up" for the HD broadcast. Seasons three and on are shot only for 16:9.

The 16:9 versions from the first two seasons look inferior. In the scenes in Dr. Melfi's office, It seem like they are in the middle of the Grand Canyon. I'm pretty sure that's why they eventually went widescreen across the board in the later seasons.

Anyway, hooray for Indy on DVD!

Regards,

Attached Files:

9. Ed Bishop

So, naturally, you bought the full-frame VHS tapes, right?;)

10. Ken_McAlinden

Having no choice, I rented the DVDs and gritted my teeth.

Regards,

11. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

This is great news (about time)!! I'm also hoping the do not alter the credits in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'...

Todd

12. Ed Bishop

What do you think they'll do if they, uh, get any ideas....:eek:

13. stereoptic

I must be missing something here - is there a differnece in the original title of the flim and the end credits????????

:confused: :confused:

14. Todd Fredericks

George Lucas changed the title of 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark' (at least on the box) when they released the last VHS versions. I'm concerned that they will change the title in the opening credits, etc. It's a shame because the new title implicates that Senior Jones wasn't a raider too. Leave history alone, baby...

15. stereoptic

thanks, Todd

16. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

It is about frickin time

17. Todd Fredericks

I wonder is Speilberg is going to push for DTS (his fav) even though Lucas supports DD. I'm suprised that they didn't remix it for DD-EX??

Todd

18. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Nope, no DTS which is fine with me. More bits for picture quality.

19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

It seems like he has done something similar with "Star Wars". I don't remember much emphasis on the "A New Hope" bit until recent years.

20. RDK

RDK Active Member

While i'm thrilled at the news, i'm a bit upset that this is being sold as a 4-disc box set rather than have the films be available individually.

But I suppose it's the only way to sell an equal number of copies of "Temple of Doom." ;)

And wouldn't it have been cool to have Spielberg finally do a director's commentary? Lucas seems to have no problems with doing them...

21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I'm hoping there isn't any revisionist moviemaking in these DVD releases. Hopefully they don't give Harrison Ford a digital facelift like they did E.T. :laugh:

22. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Drew,

Thank goodness, all reports I have seen indicate that these films have not undegone that kind of "enhancement".

Jay

23. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

24. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Personally, I was hoping they WOULD do DTS. Bummer

25. Ken_McAlinden

Honestly, you will barely notice the CGI Dewbacks or the swordsman shooting at Harrison Ford first. ;)

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.