indy mike sez: New pick ONE tune per hour topic - BIG PRODUCTIONS!!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Jun 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Ghost Riders-The Outlaws

2. Michael

Our Candidate-The Standells

3. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Course, Steve's detective work on For the First Time Anywhere showed how cool some of those overdubbed tunes were without the embellishments... it's a shame that there's so much legal goofiness going on with Buddy's music, cause he deserves a HUGE Bear Family sorta box...

4. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Yep. The somgs had a real charm. Less commercial but I prefer the original unembellished versions.

5. Michael

Hobbit Symphony-The Smoke

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Several of them were on The Complete Buddy Holly, the 6-LP box that was put together in the early 1980s before Steve went rummaging through the vaults. I thought they were interesting, and yes, many were better than the overdubbed versions. Some of the overdubbing was hamhanded, to say the least -- the Buddy and Bob demos with overdubs were bizarre -- but I always liked what Norman Petty did with "Love Is Strange."

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Don't know if this was listed or not, but it belongs:

"Love, Reign O'er Me"--The Who"

Just playing that this afternoon, realized I should have remembered it. Big it is!

ED:cool:

8. jgrig0

jgrig0 Active Member

I nominate Nights in White Satin by the Moody Blues. My second choice would have been MacArthur Park by EITHER Richard Harris or Donna Summer.

BTW- My nominee for OVERPRODUCED of the Millennium would be John Steinman. If he and Meat Loaf ever make another record I'll be put on suicide watch. I'd rather eat my radio than to listen to anything Steinman produces! It all sounds the same. Within a few bars you know he's involved.

9. Ed Bishop

Jim Steinman did do the overblown bit a tad much, but with Meat and that one album he found a good balance, I thought, and the 5.1 SACD, in spite of several flaws, is still a good listen.

I'm trying to remember if he produced Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse Of The Heart"; my sister loved that one, wore out her 45. Never a big fan of the song, but I always liked Tyler's gravelly voice, and the production certainly showcased her nicely in its lush contrast.

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

Indeed Jim S. did produce "Total Eclipse." In fact, it was one of my selections in this very thread, a few pages ago! A magnificently bombastic production!

In fact, let's throw in another Steinman production:

Making Love Out of Nothing At All--Air Supply.

IIRC, for a few weeks back in '83, "Total Eclipse" and "Making Love" were at #1 and #2 on the charts. Perhaps Mr. Tim can back me up on that?:confused:

11. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Expecting To Fly" -- Buffalo Springfield

An achingly gorgeous pop/rock recording; one of my favorites. Jack Nitzsche shared production credits with Neil Young. Featured a stellar cast of session players including Carol Kaye (bass), Jim Gordon (drums), Merry Clayton (choir). Recorded at Sunset Sound studios.

Would love to hear this track in 5.1.

Jim W.

12. quentincollins

quentincollins Forum Word Nerd

"More Than a Feeling" - Boston

The most definitive arena rock track, I think. Anything off of the first album could work as far as big production goes, but especially this one--I think Tom Scholz oughta be named the Most Obsessive Compulsive Man in rock :D

13. Michael

Still You You Turn Me On-ELP

14. quentincollins

"(You're My) Soul & Inspiration" - The Righteous Brothers

The best and most precise Phil Spector rip-off ever.

15. quentincollins

"Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio" - The Ramones

Monsieur Spector at it again--that's some pretty big production for a punk band!

16. Ed Bishop

"A Man I'll Never Be"--BOSTON:(

17. tim_neely

You would be correct. On October 8, 15 and 22, 1983, the Bonnie Tyler single was #1 and the Air Supply was #2.

By the way, Columbia pulled an old trick worthy of Mr. Spector himself on the Bonnie Tyler 45; it listed the playing time as "4:29" on the label when it really played closer to 5:29. And 5:29 was still an edit from the almost 7-minute-long LP cut.

18. 120dB

120dB Forum Resident

Big productions?

IKE & TINA TURNER - River Deep Mountain High
    RONETTES - Here I Sit
    TRACY DEY - I Won't Tell
    P.J. PROBY - I Can't Make It Alone
    RASBERRIES - Overnight Sensation
    Alder Ray - 'Cause I Love Him
    FLAMIN GROOVIES - You Tore Me Down
    DUSTY SPRINGFIELD - Stay Awhile
    WIZZARD - See My Baby Jive
    WALKER BROTHERS - Stay With Me Baby
    GENE CLARK - Echoes
    VERONICA - Why Won't They Let Us Fall In Love?
    SAM COOKE - A Change Is Gonna Come

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

You Don't Have To Say You Love Me-Dusty Springfield

20. tim_neely

"Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac

When you rent out Dodger Stadium in L.A. to get the sound of the University of Southern California Trojan Marching Band on your new single, that's Big Production.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.