indy mike's pick one (Car)toon per hour: Warner Brother's 1940 - 1949 era...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by indy mike, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Yep, 1943 was their debut - The Aristo-Cat, but I'll save that one for another hour.

if anyone is not familiar with Bedtime For Sniffles , check this out, it's a little :)rolleyes: ) grainy, but:

Bedtime For SNiffles

Here's my pick from 1941: Tortoise Beats Hare Directed by Fred (Tex) Avery. The first of the 3 adaptations of this classic fable. I love the opening where Bugs reads the credits, and rips down the title cards!

Ken - great call on Book Revue - Daffy scatting in a zoot suit!

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"Rabbit Punch" (Jones, 1948)

Boxing gags are a time-honored cartoon staple, and Warners was no exception, with such titles as Jones's own "To Duck Or Not To Duck", and this excellent Bugs Bunny entry. As with the director's earlier "My Favorite Duck" (1942), a film break provides the deus ex machina that saves our hero from otherwise-certain doom.

"Hot buttered popcorn here! Get it while it's hot! Get it while it's buttered!"

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am going back to the Bob Clampett well yet again to mention "Kitty Kornered" from 1946. This is the one where Porky is trying to put Sylvester and three other cats out for the night, and they put up a strong resistance. He eventually tricks them outside with hand shadows looking like a fierce dog. They get their revenge by describing an invasion Orson Welles-style over Porky's radio and disguising themselves as space aliens to chase him out of his own house.

This cartoon has some of the best extreme reaction takes (most likely the work of animator Rod Scribner) by characters this side of Tex Avery. Great stuff! :thumbsup:

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, their eyes get that BIG look? Great Clampett era stuff. He is without a doubt my favorite WB guy (don't tell Indy Mike)....

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Are you trying to get a rant outta me??? ;) I need to find that article where Tex Avery goes off on the claims of "Super Clampett" having been involved with just about the development of every character of any importance at Warner Brothers; take a peek at some discourse on this very topic over at Termite Terrace:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=83617&page=3

I just prefer other folks' work on Looney Toons and Merrie Melodies...
    :p

6. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Whatever claims were made about who did what, I just keep consistently finding that I like just about every cartoon that was directed by Clampett. If I were the king of fantasy land, the next release of WB animation would be a two disc "Best of Bob Clampett" with the following 28 cartoons:

Porky's Badtime Story
    Porky in Wackyland
    The Daffy Doc
    Porky & Daffy
    Wabbit Twouble
    Horton Hatches the Egg
    Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid
    The Wacky Wabbit
    A Tale of Two Kitties
    A Corny Concerto
    Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs
    Tortoise Wins by a Hare
    Falling Hare
    An Itch in Time
    The Old Grey Hare
    Russian Rhapsody
    Buckaroo Bugs
    Birdy and the Beast
    What's Cookin' Doc?
    The Bashful Buzzard
    A Gruesome Twosome
    Draftee Daffy
    Book Revue
    The Big Snooze
    The Great Piggy Bank Robbery
    Baby Bottleneck
    Bacall to Arms
    Kitty Kornered

Regards,

7. indy mike

Frigid Hare - A Bugs Bunny from C. Jones circa 1949; this was regularly shown until recently (got that Eskimo fellow innit, so it's rarely screened anymore - I gots it on a Banned Bugs DVD sourced from Termite Terrace) - cute lil' penguin and Bugs work overtime to avoid the penguin becoming dinner - Bugs' vacation ends up getting stretched 'cause nights last 6 months in the frigid Arctic!

8. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Hell, I'd buy that.

9. indy mike

Here's a thought, O Clampett lovers: consider that Bobby the C. took over Fred/Tex's unit when he left for MGM's greener pastures; Clampett picked up Rod Scribner and other animators who had dabbled in that wild eyed, great googly moogly over-exaggerated animation that Avery had begun doing shortly before he left Warner Bros. - I think the influence started with Avery and BC notched it up at Warner's (as Avery most soitenly did at MGM).... After heading back to Termite Terrace to that thread I posted a link to earlier, some more folks have added some info that made me type up my thoughts - alla this brain power tied up to cartoonies - I gotta get a hobby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.